PDA

View Full Version : EYPS

Pandypops
30-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Hello - I am thinking about applying to do the EYPS this year and I was wondering if any of you that have done it can let me know what you think and if it's worth it?

I want to do the 6 month pathway as I am a graduate (in something different and I already childmind). I am worried that I may be unable to as I only mind children from two of the age groups and none in the 30-60 months age group. Will this matter?

Is the workload really huge? Are there lots of assessment visits or mostly written work?

Thanks in advance :):)

The Juggler
30-04-2012, 12:39 PM
hiya

I started this then didn't finish :blush: You will have to do the long pathway hon, as your degree is not in childcare /early years.

good luck. :thumbsup:

sillysausage
30-04-2012, 06:57 PM
I was planning to do the EYPS but at the moment I'm not sure it's worth it. The qualification seems to be getting less and less recognition.

Pandypops
01-05-2012, 08:41 AM
Well I am going along to the open evening tomorrow so I can find out a bit more.

I really want to do it whilst there is the funding available, but I also have concerns about its worth just like you sillysausage. I would be really upset if I committed to it and then it wasnt recognised in a year or two.

I prefer to do lots of written work rather than assessments - the thought of having lots of inspection-type visits really puts me off, far too stressful!

sarah707
01-05-2012, 09:30 PM
I didn't do it for a lot of reasons - it's not geared to childminders, it would mean taking time off, it's not really got the recognition they had hoped for, I'm not sure how relevant it is to my work...

I suppose if I was looking to do something other than minding in a few years time I might reconsider :D

jadavi
01-05-2012, 11:01 PM
I have started the six month grad one. My degree wS not early years so you can do six month one. There are only four compulsory uni visits and they are very flexible of you can't make it. They will pay for another cm to mind the children you have on those days.
If there is an age range you don't have they will help you organise a placement or you can just visit another cm who has them if you know one, or a local nursery.
It is fiddly as you have to show a lot of proof of knowledge and there is almost zero learning - it's all showing off.
I took it cos its the quickest way to get accredited to offer funded nursery hours.
I was told by one of the course tutors that it's a level seven, is equivalent to a masters and is the highest early years qualification you can get. There seems to bs some disagreement on here about this.
Apparently you can open your own nursery with it - which I may be interested in doing one day.
It's a weird course but not at all hard IMO

Pandypops
02-05-2012, 10:37 AM
Thanks Sarah - I have similar reservations about it all.

Jadavi - that's all very interesting thanks. One of my worries is that I won't have enough evidence to meet the standards after only minding for 10 months. But, I do fancy having it in case my career takes a different path in the future.

I will see what is said tonight and if I decide to do it I'll let you know. I love the support of this board :blush::)