PDA

View Full Version : house rabbit?

mushpea
28-04-2012, 03:03 PM
does anyone have an indoor rabbit and how easy was it to house train? one of our rabbits has ended up right down the end of our garden hidden behind our green house which is mainly due to lack of space and I feel really bad that he is stuck down there on his own so was thinking of bringing him indoors, the dog and cats get on with him just fine when he hops round the garden, was thinking he could live in a puppy crate in the liviing room then come out when its just us.
but just wondering what sort of things I would need to be aware of other than stray poos and wire chewing

cathtee
28-04-2012, 08:29 PM
HI my daughter has house rabbits, but they were from babies and house training was easy so not sure how older one would get on. They use a litter box with wood pellet cat litter in, or wood chips that they use on the bottom of the cage they don't smell at all.:thumbsup:

They live in their own little cage while they are at work, and come out at night, she just blocks any holes where they could get to wires with something and a piece of wood across the stairs to stop them getting up, :)

onceinabluemoon
29-04-2012, 07:09 AM
HI my daughter has house rabbits, but they were from babies and house training was easy so not sure how older one would get on. They use a litter box with wood pellet cat litter in, or wood chips that they use on the bottom of the cage they don't smell at all.:thumbsup:

They live in their own little cage while they are at work, and come out at night, she just blocks any holes where they could get to wires with something and a piece of wood across the stairs to stop them getting up, :)

Just wanted to say (sorry) that I saw a sign in our vet the other week advising people not to use cat litter wooden pellets for rabbits as if rabbits eat them they swell up inside their gut and kill them. I used them for a long time before I saw that sign and my rabbits were fine but then thats always the way isn't it, they're fine until one day they're not...

blue bear
29-04-2012, 07:22 AM
I have a four year old house rabbit, he has an indoor cage under the stairs. We were told a puppy crate is not big enough they need space to spread out.
Rabbits will only poo/wee in corners so we just put trays/potties in corners and slowly reduced them to his favourite spot which is in the upstairs bathroom. He has a cat littler tray.
He does chew every thing not just hanging wires, he has chewed door frames, skirting boards, washing hanging on radiators, bags -the list goes on.
He is amazingly tolerant with children but prefers the quite ones, mostly he sleeps up in my bedroom out of the way.
He uses a cat flap to go out into the garden, but always comes in to use his litter tray, he doesn't go to toilet in the garden.

singlewiththree
29-04-2012, 07:29 AM
I used to cover my wood pellets with newspaper and hay so my house rabbits never got to it, otherwise I used recycle paper pellets.

I used to have 2 house rabbits before minding and they just used to have a litter tray in the bathroom and they could just pop in and out, they were fully free range, I think I would have had to have a cage if minding as well

cathtee
29-04-2012, 07:42 PM
Just wanted to say (sorry) that I saw a sign in our vet the other week advising people not to use cat litter wooden pellets for rabbits as if rabbits eat them they swell up inside their gut and kill them. I used them for a long time before I saw that sign and my rabbits were fine but then thats always the way isn't it, they're fine until one day they're not...

Thanks for that info on the pellets will pass it onto my daughter