PDA

View Full Version : very ill cat??

mushpea
27-04-2012, 07:43 PM
took my cat to the vets last week cause he wasnt eating and had lost weight, he was constipated so they kept him in overnight to give him an enima , he perked up for a couple of days and we thought all was well then today he went really down hill so back to the vets who took blood tests and said it could be somthing heriditry or somthing that can be cured but most likley its feline lukemia and he wont get better :(
has anyone had a cat with this or with serious weight loss who has pulled through?

angeldelight
27-04-2012, 07:50 PM
No I just wanted to say I hope he does get better

Big hugs

Angel xx

mushpea
27-04-2012, 07:55 PM
thanks Angel,, he is really quite poorly tonight, wont eat anything but just guzzles water and he is so skinny that I am scared to pick him up incase I hurt him, its horrible to see and I said to the vet tonight that I dont want him to suffer, hopefully the blood tests will come in quickly so we can make a descion but I dont think it will be a happy one.
all my partner keeps saying is 'should we get another one !! heartless g*t

BucksCM
27-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Sorry, I can't help, but I didn't want to read and run
I hope it's not serious and he gets better
:group hug:

marian
27-04-2012, 07:57 PM
If he is guzzling water - is he thirsty all the time ?? combined with weight loss - just thinking diabetes???

Marian x

sarah707
27-04-2012, 07:59 PM

mushpea
27-04-2012, 08:00 PM
Marian that was at the back of my mind but I am too scared to get my hopes up, he went from 2.74kg to 2.2kg in just over a week which the vet said is a major drop plus he is so weak he is wobbly on his feet yet can fight agianst going in the cat box!, the vet is seriously worried its this lukeimia, my vet has been lovley through this and its the same one who treats our dog so I totaly trust him but hope he is wrong this time, its gonna be horrible waiting untill Monday to find out

Bridey
28-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Having just lost a cat two weeks ago myself (she was over 20 years old so she had a good life), I am very sorry to hear this. :(

blue bear
28-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Big hugs x hope things look up on Monday.

Demonjill
28-04-2012, 02:56 PM
Hugs for you

I lost my cat similar circumstances last September - still miss him :(he was 17

He lost weight so fast wouldnt use the litter tray no poos no pees wasnt eating - vet confirmed his kidneys were shutting down and he had bowel cancer probably. I could have got lots of bloods taken to see exactly what was going on but it was just prolonging the inevitable:crying:

Once the kidneys start to shut down many more systems follow suit - I didnt want him to suffer and so had him put to sleep - it was a hard and easy decision to make IYKWIM?

mushpea
28-04-2012, 03:00 PM
he has eaten all day and keeps hiding behind the sofa where he used to sleep as a kitten, I just peeked at him and he didnt move so quickly moved the sofa which made him jump poor thing,, he really isnt good now though and I have a horrible feeling he's not even gonna make it till Monday,, he dosent appear to be in any pain though , dosent miaow when we stroke him anywhere and will get up and walk about for a bit, keeps drinking and has peed in the litter tray ever since his one accident,, he sort of perks up then goes downhill , it so hard not to get my hopes up when he does perk up,

Beaka
28-04-2012, 05:50 PM
Thinking of you, it's such a hard time....xxx

zillervalley
28-04-2012, 06:23 PM
I lost mine last november, he had lost a lot of weight too, he also was drinking a lot buy not using the litter,

the kidneys also had shut down.

he had a distintful smell from his mouth as my other cat did so many years ago but i still remembered when i smelt it

hugs to you as I know to well the heart ache our pets bring to us.

ziller

AliceK
30-04-2012, 09:25 AM
How is your cat now?
Hope you get some good news from the vet today. I understand how you're feeling, one of my cats is very old (17) but he's still hanging on in there and although very skinny and a bit fragile he eats and gets about ok at the moment.

xxxxx

WibbleWobble
30-04-2012, 02:33 PM
hope all is well with pusscat

mandy xxxx

mushpea
30-04-2012, 02:47 PM
thanks folks, unfortunatly all is not well with biscuit the cat, his kidneys are failing and there is nothing they can do for him so my OH is going to take him tonight to be put down as I cant stand to see him suffer.

AliceK
30-04-2012, 02:52 PM
Oh bless you. It's the right thing to do though if he's suffering, it's not fair. Will be thinking of you and sending hugs. I still cry when I remember taking my dog :(

(((( ))))

xxxx

WibbleWobble
30-04-2012, 03:03 PM
oh no....

oh dear....

i am so sorry....you are doing the best thing for pusscat but oh my word....i am so sorry.

will have a little cry now

mandy xxx

tinkerbelle
30-04-2012, 03:07 PM
my cat had the same syptoms as yours i took her to the vets and was told blood tests could be done but it was most likely either leukemia or hiv within 4 weeks she had died

Bridey
30-04-2012, 03:56 PM
thanks folks, unfortunatly all is not well with biscuit the cat, his kidneys are failing and there is nothing they can do for him so my OH is going to take him tonight to be put down as I cant stand to see him suffer.

I am so sorry. It was kidney failure that ended my dear cat's life. I picked her ashes up today. You are doing the right thing for him and you should be proud of that. Its a very brave thing to do xx

catminder
30-04-2012, 04:54 PM
I am so sorry, my thoughts and sincere sympathies are with you.
x Alison

mushpea
30-04-2012, 04:57 PM
Thankyou everyone, it was the hardest thing saying goodbye and my son had a meltdown as my Oh went out the door with him but I had resigned myself to this happening so have sorted accepted it although its still really upsetting as he was only a yong cat.
we wont be having the ashes back but are going to make a large flower pot in to a 'shrine' for him (my sons words), any ideas of some nice flowers that will come back each year?

LOOPYLISA
30-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Im sorry but you did the right thing x

As a mummy of 4 cats and 1 being a old lady i know how you feel x

karens knippers
01-05-2012, 07:53 AM
So sorry to here your news. hugs to all :group hug: