PDA

View Full Version : DO YOU REMEMBER ............ SCHOOL DAYS...

angeldelight
26-04-2012, 08:36 AM
Did you like your school days?

Were they fun, were they the best days of your life?

Did you hate them?

What did you enjoy or hate the most?

Do you think schools should be more like those days back then with more discipline etc

What would you like to see different in schools today?

Angel xx

FussyElmo
26-04-2012, 09:14 AM
Fab memories of primary - no uniform teachers who were strict but fair.

The animal man coming in every christmas to show us the animals. Sitting in the hall waiting to hear santas bell - ie the lollipop man.

Queueing outside in every weather to go to dinner in the separate canteen.

Being t6aken to a sewage works for a educational trip :eek:

Our final year teacher used to challenge us to see who would finish all the work set for the week and it being a competition who would get the tick by their name first and we would take the work home over the weekend. Once we did the work we did different work :rolleyes:

Answering the phone in the headteachers office because he was teaching.

Was a sad day when they demolished it :)

My children go to the new school and yes it may be a modern school but its not got the same soul.

angeldelight
26-04-2012, 09:16 AM
Fab memories of primary - no uniform teachers who were strict but fair.

The animal man coming in every christmas to show us the animals. Sitting in the hall waiting to hear santas bell - ie the lollipop man.

Queueing outside in every weather to go to dinner in the separate canteen.

Being t6aken to a sewage works for a educational trip :eek:

Our final year teacher used to challenge us to see who would finish all the work set for the week and it being a competition who would get the tick by their name first and we would take the work home over the weekend. Once we did the work we did different work :rolleyes:

Answering the phone in the headteachers office because he was teaching.

Was a sad day when they demolished it :)

My children go to the new school and yes it may be a modern school but its not got the same soul.

Hey we also went to sewage works for a educational trip :laughing::laughing: what was all that about then ..... my kids thought I was joking ha ha

Fun days

Angel xx

FussyElmo
26-04-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey we also went to sewage works for a educational trip :laughing::laughing: what was all that about then ..... my kids thought I was joking ha ha

Fun days

Angel xx

Good memories Angel cant see them going on a trip to a sewage works now :laughing::laughing::laughing:

kellib
26-04-2012, 09:28 AM
I loved my school years especially primary. It's great now that my son goes to the same primary that I went to, plus my 4 younger cousins, and some of the teachers that taught me are still there. It gives the school a real family feel I think :thumbsup:

We went to the dump for a day out oh and the power station!! :laughing:

Toothfairy
26-04-2012, 10:07 AM
I remember........

In Primary school....
Having a 10min walk there and back to our school hall which we used for PE and for Lunch everyday!

Having one of those wooden and felt board rubbers thrown at you if you were caught talking in class!

Being the sick monitor. Having to fetch the saw dust tub and sprinkle it on the sick and then having to go and fetch the caretaker to clean it up!

Walking to and from school on my own from the age of about 8/9!

In secondary school.......
Being a Prefect and having to go on patrol during breaks to catch girls smoking!

Sitting on the lab stools in Physics, having the Physics teacher walk down the row of girls, pinging our bra straps at the back!

Standing out on the hockey field watching our school burn down. An electrical fault caught the ceiling alight in the sewing room. Half the school burnt to the ground. We spent the next 18 months having most of our lessons in porta cabins while it was being rebuilt!

Mouse
26-04-2012, 10:20 AM
I loved school, though looking back on it now, some of it was pretty horrendous!

Isn't it funny what sticks in your mind though?

In primary school I remember the massive wooden climbing frame we had...and the children that broke limbs falling off it!

The school lunches - rabbit pie (no idea at all if it was rabbit, but that's what we all thought!), rock hard crispy cakes that used to fly off your plate when you tried to cut into them

Sunny Smiles - does anyone else remember the books of little pictures that you had to sell?

At Senior school I remember some rather pervy male teachers who would have been in so much trouble today (some things definitely change for the better)
Cross country running in awful weather when the teachers would stop at school & make us go, telling us to hold hands crossing the stream as the current was so strong
Sneaking into the classroom before a german lesson & writing the vocab words on the desk as we were having a test
Having to stand up whenever an adult entered the room
The maths teacher spending the summer months sat on the balcony outside his classroom watching the cricket...during the lessons!

LOOPYLISA
26-04-2012, 10:36 AM
I remember hating it all the way through :panic:

Mum said i cried at playschool...

I remember my nana picking me up at luchtimes at primary/junior school to come home for lunch then she would walk me back again.

High school i hated, was so shy and towards the end i hardly went :(

Im soooo glad dd is as bright as she is and loves school and has lots of friends, they say they are the best days mine were not :rolleyes:

EmmaReed84
26-04-2012, 10:49 AM
PRIMARY SCHOOLS

During primary school my Dad was in the army so I had a little bit when I was in Germany (reception class I think) As we moved back to the UK I lived with my aunt for 6 weeks and went to a school during that time... I remember having a 4 finger KitKat and the girls at the table said that we were not allowed 4 finger KitKat bars only 2 finger ones, so the next day I sat at the table with my 4 finger KitKat and hid it under the table joining two together to make it look like I had a very long 2 finger KitKat :laughing:

I then lived in London and we all as a class had to sit in a circle while waiting for our parents to arrive (they came int o the class to collect us) I was desperate for a wee but the teacher was asking questions and I kept trying to time my hand up so she didn't think I was answering and then I could ask to go, but I timed it wrong and put my hand up when she asked "Who can write the days of the week" she then caught me and said "Emma, here you go, you write the days of the week on this paper" I went over the the writing table and burst in to tears almost wetting myself when my Dad arrived... phew lol

I also went to boarding school for two years, that was great fun!!! I was awarded a "My First Ever CookBook" for good work... I still have it next to my microwave... and I still use it :blush:

I went to a few others as well, my Dad left the army and I actually attending my senior school from start to finish!!! I didn't mind school too much, didn't phase me, I wasn't overly clever, bullied, snobby just the average run of the mill pupil lol.

mushpea
26-04-2012, 07:15 PM
I remember at infants we had a naughty step and one dinner lady was horribly stricted and put you on it for anything.
I also remember having to wear great big chunky shoes to try and correct my weak ankles that everyone laughed at
I hated school from the minute we hit middle school as I was constantly builled all through it and when people say they wish they were back at school I know i certainly dont.

Chimps Childminding
26-04-2012, 07:31 PM
Primary School:

We also had a teacher that threw a board rubber at you if he decided you weren't listening :eek:
Mum was a dinner lady so we (me and my twin brother) got extra portions of our favourites :D
Drinking water at lunch time out of metal beakers that always smelt horrible :eek:
Having a competion with mates to see who could get their milk jelly to stick to the back of the piano by flicking it with a spoon at lunch time :blush:

Middle School:

We did cross country round a field just up the lane from school, so a couple of my friends and I (we weren't the athletic types) used to wait at the entrance to the field then when everyone else had gone round and were on their way back to school we would tag on the end!!

singingcactus
26-04-2012, 07:34 PM
I went to at least 12 different schools(air force brat). I was really really introverted, so didn't find the whole experience a particularly awesome one. Wasn't hell either. Just something to be got through, rather like childhood.
Glad it's all over, wouldn't want to revisit. Although I would love to go to my first college again, that one was a lot of fun - kinda found my voice a little bit there cos my parent moved home and left me behind lol.
Schools these days need to chill out a little, and take a step back from the details and start to once again see the bigger picture. I have no issues with either of the schools my kids currently attend. I just think that pastorally the care could be better if schools stopped seeing targets and aims and started seeing children again.
But then again, traditionally schools have always pretty much sucked at pastoral care, too many kids fall through the cracks and remain in abuse, and don't learn to be aware of their own needs and their own part in ensuring these needs are met.
Kids these days have less of a voice because of all the cotton wool and safety measures, so I can forsee more and more kids not receiving the care they need....only the academic education. It needs the human connection to care for our kids, not a reliance on policies and procedures. In this aspect our modern schools need to change.
I know that is not the most articulate comment and probably not the most organised, but I hope you get my meaning lol.

silvermist
26-04-2012, 07:53 PM
I hate to admit it but I was a bit of a dare devil at school school. I remember having a biology lesson and we had to discect a bulls eye. One of the girls dared me to cellotape it to my forehead! Imagine the teacher's face when she turned around from the blackboard to see me sitting there disguised as a cyclops! And yes, i did get in trouble for it! Although years later I bumped into the biology teacher and she admitted she'd found it really hard not to laugh at the time!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

PixiePetal
26-04-2012, 07:55 PM
I loved school, though looking back on it now, some of it was pretty horrendous!

Isn't it funny what sticks in your mind though?

In primary school I remember the massive wooden climbing frame we had...and the children that broke limbs falling off it!

The school lunches - rabbit pie (no idea at all if it was rabbit, but that's what we all thought!), rock hard crispy cakes that used to fly off your plate when you tried to cut into them

Sunny Smiles - does anyone else remember the books of little pictures that you had to sell?

At Senior school I remember some rather pervy male teachers who would have been in so much trouble today (some things definitely change for the better)
Cross country running in awful weather when the teachers would stop at school & make us go, telling us to hold hands crossing the stream as the current was so strong
Sneaking into the classroom before a german lesson & writing the vocab words on the desk as we were having a test
Having to stand up whenever an adult entered the room
The maths teacher spending the summer months sat on the balcony outside his classroom watching the cricket...during the lessons!

I remember the smiles - had no one with any money spare to buy from me :o

Loved Primary school although I spent a fair bit of time in wet knickers or having nosebleeds in the sick bay - well it seemed like every day to me!

Dad was the chair of PTA so helped him a lot with events - raffles/tombolas/beetle drives/shopping in cash and carry/manning stalls at the fair (Tommy Trinder opened our summer fair once:laughing:)

Class saved for a hamster and cage :D I was about 9, teacher left a year later and hamster went too :( Teacher was an ogre - threw the blackboard chalk and rubber at kids who talked - I kept very quiet! Dad also went in to say I did not understand his complicated way of writing sums and that I would be doing them HIS way instead - GO DAD!

Christmas party with local magician every time - Lenny Blease (who also owned the local small shoe shop! and did Punch and Judy at the beach in the summer) Fancy dress and the chocolate dressing up game when you have to throw a dice and run to middle of circle and cut it up if you got a 6 :laughing:

dancing the Polka with Miss Purkiss in dance cos no one else could do it well and I had to show them with her :laughing:

Spring miniaure gardens - mine was usually in a Fray Bentos pie tin but I did win once

Happy Days

Senior school - ok but lots of work to do. My siblings never seemed to have as much homework keeping them busy in the evenings - now realise that was cos I was the only one doing O levels. They all did CSEs. I got the family brains :laughing:

Walking through snow to get to station for train to school, finding it cancelled and hoping coach would not turn up as, after a certain time, we were allowed to go home. You should have seen kids run when coach came into view just before the time was up :laughing: Then snowball fight in the allotments on the way home

I had a fight with a girl in the gym one lunchtime.(I was a gymnast then and practising rather than going out in the cold!) Very out of character but she cornered me giving it all the mouth. I grabbed her hair and pulled her to the ground in one move - she never did it again!

So many memories - not half as stressed as my teens are now though.

angeldelight
26-04-2012, 09:10 PM
The summer holidays always used to last forever too

Summer was summer..... hot lazy days being allowed to play out late after school, being safe and having fun not doing a lot , hide and seek etc

Angel xx

Ripeberry
26-04-2012, 09:55 PM
Ahh! School days!. I went to quite a rough school in Cardiff and we had a Welsh teacher who used to pull kids hair to make them behave. One teacher threw a child out of the window (1st floor) and another punched a cheeky child. But this was all in the 1980s.

I loved sports day, when we got to thrown javelins, run round the track and even do shot putting. Hated hokey with a passion.

I managed to KO the sports teacher at rounders once. Let go of the bat, she must have been trying to catch the ball and the bat made contact with her head! I wondered why no-one was trying to stop me when I went running round :rolleyes: We all hated her by the way.

I used to have a crush on the English teacher but was scared stiff of the maths teacher. And I used to love doing 'Home Economics' we had a classroom with lots of cookers and tiny little kitchens. Loved making stuff. Then progress came along in the form of computers.
We had a very tiny Sixth form and we were all made Prefects by default as there were so few of us that could pass 5 + O Levels.

The very last day of school, we did not have parties as they do today. You were lucky if you got back home without flour being thrown at you or your eyebrows shaved. Did I mention it was a rough school? :rolleyes:

jelly15
27-04-2012, 06:49 AM
I hate to admit it but I was a bit of a dare devil at school school. I remember having a biology lesson and we had to discect a bulls eye. One of the girls dared me to cellotape it to my forehead! Imagine the teacher's face when she turned around from the blackboard to see me sitting there disguised as a cyclops! And yes, i did get in trouble for it! Although years later I bumped into the biology teacher and she admitted she'd found it really hard not to laugh at the time!:laughing::laughing::laughing:

That made me laugh :laughing:

I was a bit of a horror at grammar school, slyly reading Jackie magazine at the back of the class and sneaking down town for a sly fag.

Toothfairy
27-04-2012, 09:41 AM
The summer holidays always used to last forever too

Summer was summer..... hot lazy days being allowed to play out late after school, being safe and having fun not doing a lot , hide and seek etc

Angel xx

You're right Angel, they did go on forever and they were always hot & sunny.
I used to go out to play after breakfast, take some sandwiches and a bottle of squash and not come back til tea time.
No mobile phones, my Mum only new roughly where I would be playing and who with.
We had some great adventures, making dens, making rope swings, digging for treasure in the woods etc.

Those were the days :rolleyes:

cathtee
27-04-2012, 12:16 PM
HI

I loved infant and juniors, I remember being dinner monitor in top juniors we had to serve the food at our table and had a teacher on ours it was fab.

Senior school wasn't too bad except for cross country hated it, used to get out of it by saying I had rumbling appendix, never did:blush:

I am going to my reunion of leaving school 35 years ago and am looking forward to it with great excitment it's the 3rd big one we've done:D

silvermist
27-04-2012, 12:59 PM
That made me laugh :laughing:

I was a bit of a horror at grammar school, slyly reading Jackie magazine at the back of the class and sneaking down town for a sly fag.

OMG! Same! Are you sure we weren't seperated at birth! :laughing::laughing::laughing: