PDA

View Full Version : when are you not expected to do observations on a child....

beck78
23-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Hi,
I currently have two that are now at pre-school more than me (have one 9hrs per week and the other 4hrs a fortnight) Do I still need to make written obs??

Bridey
23-04-2012, 02:44 PM
Hi,
I currently have two that are now at pre-school more than me (have one 9hrs per week and the other 4hrs a fortnight) Do I still need to make written obs??

In a word ... yes, but not as often as you would if you had them more often. You also need to show that you are working in partnership with the playgroup.

EmmaReed84
23-04-2012, 03:11 PM
I have a mindee who now attends playschool I have a copy of their curriculum, I also ask how he is getting on, did they have any things they were working on that I can follow up at home etc.

Over the chinese new year they need food sampling and gave me a list of the food he appeared to like so we made a chinese meal using those ingredients and used chopsticks (tried to use them lol)

Over valentines day they did Cards for their Mums so I did cards for the grandparents etc.

EmmaReed84
23-04-2012, 03:14 PM
Oh also my inspector said working in partnership doesn't always mean activities it could be you have an amazing activty planned for the afternoon and you collect mindee and they say he has been really busy and is tired out, so doing your activity that afternoon may not be a good idea, so moving it on the basis you are listening to the playschool and working in the best interests of the child.

As for obs I believe you have to follow the EYFS until the August after their 5th birthday, so basically until they reach year 1 of school.

Bridey
23-04-2012, 03:54 PM
Working in partnership can also mean that you look at each other's learning journeys on child (with parent's written permission). Encourage the playschool to write comments on yours (if you can) and get them to sign a piece of paper to say they have seen it.