PDA

View Full Version : Farm theme ideas

mrsmaggy
20-04-2012, 03:58 PM
Has anyone done a farm theme, would you mind sharing ideas please? I have 2.5yr old and 3 year old.

TIA

gegele
20-04-2012, 04:07 PM
no but ideas from top of my head:
make a farm in a box with compost, twigs, grass......

match mum and babies

visit petfarm

read tractor story

sing old mc donald

watch the program with the talking farm animal can't remeber name

make painting with tractor wheels tracks

PixiePetal
20-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I live on one! we spend a lot of time avoiding manure and washing off boots :rolleyes:

Hoping we get to see a calf being born like last year when mindee was too young to understand

Farm safety is big here too for obvious reasons and looking forward to taking 3yr old to watch DH the combine harvester in the summer :thumbsup:

TV - Big Barn Farm on Cbeebies

We love little red tractor - the old version books. Trying to get the videos my DS had on DVD (animated drawings not modern episodes)

We grow wheat here so collect some to see the grains and make bread (not from our wheat!) and read little red hen story

loocyloo
20-04-2012, 04:47 PM
we like the 'poppy and sam' usborne farm books.

we visited a farm with toddlers just before easter, and i went again this week, with a different set of mindees :D

we've had the toy farm and all the farm animals out - sorted animals into groups of the same animal. matched mummy and baby animals, also talked about where different animals live ( the farm we visited has wallabies! so they are in our farm! )

i've got farm puzzles, and we've sung old macdonald LOTS plus 'bouncing up and down on the big red tractor'

we've investigated cotton wool and other soft and hard items and then made pictures of lambs! ( well, stuck bits on cut out lamb shapes! )

not sure where else we'll take it, waiting & seeing with the children next week!

The Juggler
20-04-2012, 05:06 PM
lots of varied farm books, feely ones for babes, simple stories, 3 little pigs, little red hen.

farm smallworld toys

farm songs (old macD, dingle dangle scarecrow)

farm visits

make a headband/mask with farm animals on:thumbsup:

mrsmaggy
20-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Just found some brilliant resources :thumbsup:

We are going to the farm anyway thats why I decided to make a theme of it, had all the normal things you could think of like stories, puzzles, songs etc but wanted something a little different!

Playmate
20-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Just found some brilliant resources :thumbsup:

We are going to the farm anyway thats why I decided to make a theme of it, had all the normal things you could think of like stories, puzzles, songs etc but wanted something a little different!

ooow where did you find resources? Our toddler group are creating a farmyard scene and I thought I would continue the theme at home as slight change to my spring with baby animal theme :D

christine e
20-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Sing Old McDonald Had a Farm

Demonjill
20-04-2012, 09:22 PM
ooh they can all come muck out my horse, clean my tack and poo pick the field :laughing::laughing:thats just for starters

Demonjill
20-04-2012, 09:23 PM
and you might have to explain other things- why IS that cow on top of the other one :laughing:that will lead you nicely onto your next theme --birds and bees:laughing::laughing:

mrsmaggy
21-04-2012, 06:58 AM
ooow where did you find resources? Our toddler group are creating a farmyard scene and I thought I would continue the theme at home as slight change to my spring with baby animal theme :D

Just google searching, we have sound games and new songs and matching games, i've linked it to all areas and im now sorted for May - first time i've ever been ahead of myself :laughing:

mrsmaggy
21-04-2012, 07:00 AM
and you might have to explain other things- why IS that cow on top of the other one :laughing:that will lead you nicely onto your next theme --birds and bees:laughing::laughing:

We had this the other day when we were walking down the canal and two pidgeons were making baby pigeons in the trees :blush:

notts
21-04-2012, 07:21 AM
We have horses so I've had thoughts around this kind of theme and it goes like this..

Story in my setting,animal noises, props that kind of thing

Extend to stables, collecting everything farmy, straw, hay, grass etc

Meet the animals, smells (wet grass etc), the setup etc, natural environment

Back home to create collage from our collection and share learnings

All to be risk assessed and with written consent!

Polly2
21-04-2012, 10:00 AM
I am doing farms at the moment. We are making an obstacle course in the garden and then the children are going to pretend to be horses jumping over the 'jumps'!

singing horsy horsy, old mcdonald, this little piggy, baa baa black sheep, 5 little ducks.

reading books about farms

we are making a 'duck pond' and looking at floating and sinking

paper mache pigs using balloons and egg boxes for noses and toilet rolls for feet

visiting the farm to look at the baby chicks and lambs

lots of counting the animals and matching the babies

hth :thumbsup: