PDA

View Full Version : Hi, new to childminding and a bit lost..help!!!!

mrsp14
18-04-2012, 01:19 PM
Hi,

So i just began childminding this week. I have only taken on a 6 week contract as im 21 weeks pregnant and dont want to be committed long term.

I minding a 2 year old girl, who is very tearful and shy and her 3 year old sister whos is the total opposite..almost over confident (which i dont think is a bad thing in children).

So...I have many questions.

1. For the 3 year old i only have her for an hour before and after pre school. Before pre school she plays in the play room, after pre school she has her lunch. Do i need to have plans and journals for her for when ofsted come? There is no time to do a planned activity with her really, she does drawing if she doesnt want to play with toys. Also when it comes to observation, shes a bit of a wirlwind so its hard to pinpoint her covering an particular Early learning goal!

2. For the two year old girl, Im struggling just to get her to come near me at the moment. We did have a few days where she came over with her mum, and then stayed for an hour alone but it seems to have had no effect. How am i meant to write a journal and record observations on her when out of the 5 hours shes with me the majority is me trying to persuade her to play?

I dont want ofsted to think i just didnt bother with these girls as it was only a 6 week contract, i am taking ths seriously and once my baby comes and we're settled i plan to childmind full time.

sarah707
18-04-2012, 05:29 PM
When are you due your inspection? Your forum status says you are still pre-reg???

:D

mrsp14
22-04-2012, 08:29 AM
Sorry, i've changed it now, i was registered in Dec 11.

Monkey26
22-04-2012, 09:18 AM
Hi,

So i just began childminding this week. I have only taken on a 6 week contract as im 21 weeks pregnant and dont want to be committed long term.

I minding a 2 year old girl, who is very tearful and shy and her 3 year old sister whos is the total opposite..almost over confident (which i dont think is a bad thing in children).

So...I have many questions.

1. For the 3 year old i only have her for an hour before and after pre school. Before pre school she plays in the play room, after pre school she has her lunch. Do i need to have plans and journals for her for when ofsted come? There is no time to do a planned activity with her really, she does drawing if she doesnt want to play with toys. Also when it comes to observation, shes a bit of a wirlwind so its hard to pinpoint her covering an particular Early learning goal!

2. For the two year old girl, Im struggling just to get her to come near me at the moment. We did have a few days where she came over with her mum, and then stayed for an hour alone but it seems to have had no effect. How am i meant to write a journal and record observations on her when out of the 5 hours shes with me the majority is me trying to persuade her to play?

I dont want ofsted to think i just didnt bother with these girls as it was only a 6 week contract, i am taking ths seriously and once my baby comes and we're settled i plan to childmind full time.

For both children have a folder that starts with an all about me form filled in by mum/dad and maybe a pic or two of their family :)

For the 3 year old I would make sure I was collecting newsletters, planning sheets etc from the preschool and taking some photos/simple obs of her free playing or save some of her drawings from the mornings, maybe note down any comments she makes over lunch about preschool, food etc.

For the little one I would stop "persuading" her to play and just let her get on with her own thing - I care for a two year old who will freeze up as soon as one of us tries to join but plays beautifully on her own/with a select few of the other children and I am able to gain beautiful observations as I have a camera in my playroom (it's a bit far from my kitchen so I use it as a safety measure when preparing meals etc). Write down any achievements - even as simple as her coming up to you, it's all relative even if it doesn't link to any specific development matters goals :)

Good luck xx