PDA

View Full Version : Tibial Torsion

BuggsieMoo
18-04-2012, 11:38 AM
Our 5 year old DD has been diagnosed with having severe tibial torsion (eventually after countless hospital visits in 3 years!) and therefore has limitations on her abilities.

We are moving house in the summer and she is not recommended to walk more than 3 miles a day (3 miles being her absolute limit and to be broken down into smaller walks) due to her limitations and the considerable pain she is in from the condition, so the school admissions offer us a school that is over 4 miles a day walking!!!!! Idiots!

Thankfully our GP is very cross that they have done this and has written us an appeal letter saying "With regard to forthcoming school allocation, she would greatly benefit from attending a school close to the family home, in order to minimize the effects on her medical condition".

Here's hoping the school admissions board actually pay attention, and in the meantime we have to keep helping our DD who is facing very intensive surgery within the next 3 years to correct her leg.

It never rains but it pours!

clareelizabeth1
18-04-2012, 12:48 PM
I hope all the surgery goes well and even if the school admission people sound well stupid. At least I sounds like you have a first class GP

The Juggler
18-04-2012, 09:47 PM
ooh I've never heard of that condition. poor DD :(. I wish you luck with the appeal hon :thumbsup:

BuggsieMoo
19-04-2012, 06:32 AM
ooh I've never heard of that condition. poor DD :(. I wish you luck with the appeal hon :thumbsup:

Its basically the medical name for in-toeing, where the in-toe is severe and is not self correcting as the child grows - means she suffers from lots of accidents (which usually ends up with A&E appointments for head bumps), on-going pain as her thigh bone is turned in by 80 degrees and pain in her leg and foot as her foot turns in by 80 degrees - you should only be able to turn your foot yourself in by 45 degrees. It then makes her back hurt as she is twisted all the time so she over compensates on her other leg. Cos it hasn't self corrected she needs to have surgery in the next few years where they will straighten her leg for her.

Funny enough though, apparently most of the worlds best sprinters suffer from this condition - personally I struggle to see how, she runs and spents the time on the floor having tripped herself up.

She can only walk small distances throughout the day due to the strain it puts on her ankle, knee and hip. She will def need a hip replacement in later life as it is being worn at present unnaturally xx

The Juggler
19-04-2012, 09:57 AM
Its basically the medical name for in-toeing, where the in-toe is severe and is not self correcting as the child grows - means she suffers from lots of accidents (which usually ends up with A&E appointments for head bumps), on-going pain as her thigh bone is turned in by 80 degrees and pain in her leg and foot as her foot turns in by 80 degrees - you should only be able to turn your foot yourself in by 45 degrees. It then makes her back hurt as she is twisted all the time so she over compensates on her other leg. Cos it hasn't self corrected she needs to have surgery in the next few years where they will straighten her leg for her.

Funny enough though, apparently most of the worlds best sprinters suffer from this condition - personally I struggle to see how, she runs and spents the time on the floor having tripped herself up.

She can only walk small distances throughout the day due to the strain it puts on her ankle, knee and hip. She will def need a hip replacement in later life as it is being worn at present unnaturally xx

poor thing :(

Bridey
19-04-2012, 10:06 AM
Poor little love. I hope the future surgery sorts things out for her. In the meantime, fingers crossed you get the school she needs.