PDA

View Full Version : telephone/broadband, help please

ziggy
18-04-2012, 07:45 AM
i am with BT for landline and broadband. I usually claim 50% of broadband as think that is amount i use for minding.

I used to claim 50% cost of line and any calls made in regard to minding.

This bill is now inclusive of all calls unless to mobiles (use my own mobile to text call parents on their mobiles). I dont claim for mobile use as it is far too complicated working it out:blush:

So my question is how much of phone bill can i claim for tax?

And is it right we can claim percentage of tv licence?

Chatterbox Childcare
18-04-2012, 09:38 AM
For the calls you need to do it the same as mobiles. How many calls are business and use the amount percentage to your billed amount.

If you can justify the broadband then take 50% of that cost. I am with Talk Talk and they split the phone and broadband cost

It is all about justification if you are asked. Which is the easiest way for you to do it?

MrAnchovy
18-04-2012, 10:46 AM
As Debbie says for the phone and mobile bills, and yes you can claim a fair proportion of your TV license too

ziggy
18-04-2012, 11:37 AM
problem is i now get free calls to landlines all the time as part of a package, can i claim percentage of line rental and/or percentage of cost of new package deal? New bill only shows cost of calls to mobiles or non UK calls

Chatterbox Childcare
18-04-2012, 01:01 PM
problem is i now get free calls to landlines all the time as part of a package, can i claim percentage of line rental and/or percentage of cost of new package deal? New bill only shows cost of calls to mobiles or non UK calls

You take the number of calls from the package price - sorry no getting around this you need itemised bills and need to work the business percentage of them

ziggy
18-04-2012, 02:07 PM
thanks for your help, am i right in thinking we can only claim for actual calls made then and not percentage of line rental?

MrAnchovy
18-04-2012, 02:22 PM
No, you can claim a percentage of line rental but you said you are paying a package including calls without separate line rental ???

ziggy
18-04-2012, 03:11 PM
yeah thats right, very confusing. Just wondered if i found out cost of line rental i could just claim percentage of that, is there a set percentage? might just claim for broadband and forget other, it is hardly a fortune. But on previous bills i have claimed 50% on line and then added on calls, was that right?

MrAnchovy
18-04-2012, 07:34 PM
No that's not right, there isn't a fixed percentage but you can split the line rental in the same proportion as the calls. Which is the same as splitting the whole package.

Having said that, as a childminder needs to have a land line for emergency purposes, if you can argue that otherwise you would only have a mobile there is a strong argument for claiming 100% of the rental.

Monkey26
18-04-2012, 07:56 PM
No that's not right, there isn't a fixed percentage but you can split the line rental in the same proportion as the calls. Which is the same as splitting the whole package.

Having said that, as a childminder needs to have a land line for emergency purposes, if you can argue that otherwise you would only have a mobile there is a strong argument for claiming 100% of the rental.

A childminder does not HAVE to have a landline for emergencies! In my first 4 years of minding I never did, Ofsted knew this and never said anything...

ziggy
19-04-2012, 08:16 AM
well cant change what i have done since 2008!!!!! But in future will just claim 50% of broadband and not bother with phone part, too confusing lol

thanks for your advice

Bridey
19-04-2012, 08:24 AM

Surely it would be hard to argue that one if you have broadband ...

aly
19-04-2012, 11:45 AM
As Debbie says for the phone and mobile bills, and yes you can claim a fair proportion of your TV license too

thats good to know as I didnt think we could

allison
21-04-2012, 10:32 PM
you can claim a fair proportion of your TV license too

i did not realise this. so how much is a fair proportion? i work 50hrs per wk

ziggy
23-04-2012, 10:35 AM
i've also been wondering about this over weekend