PDA

View Full Version : Starting childminding!

xLeemx
17-04-2012, 06:10 PM
Hi I currently live in South Lanarkshire and I'm doing my SVQ III in CCLD at a local nursery, i have been there for over 2 years and I'm considering becoming a childminder, i have gathered all of the resources i think i need to start up and i've read all of the scma leaflets etc i just need to pluck up the courage to register, i have a few concerns about finances and about the possibility of feeling isolated without work mates, just looking for a bit of advice and reassurance if anyone has some?

Thanks Lee xx

notts
17-04-2012, 08:22 PM
Hi there,

I took the leap recently, should have my certificate any day now :) I too was feeling slightly anxious about becoming isolated but I've soon met some other childmindy friends on the courses and mentioning at toddler groups etc where I go of my plans, it's surprising how included you soon feel. Good luck whatever you decide :thumbsup:

Kah
20-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Hi, I have been thinking of childminding for a few years and have finally taken the plunge to do it. I start the pre-reg course at the end of the month but am hoping to child mind part time at first as like you, I am worried about making ends meet. Good luck making your decision :)

Demonjill
20-04-2012, 09:41 PM
Finances will always come into it in this job. I worked part time when i first started and then when built up more mindees i left my job to CM full time.:thumbsup:

Mindees come and go though from what others say so so do your pennies.
Put money away when you have a bit more to help you through the quieter times.

I have heard some people on here say the minders in their area are in their wee "cliques" (sp?) and others who get on fab with others.
I dont hang out with other CM where i am, i know who they are but ive never come across them. I like working away myself. Talk to people/teachers at preschool/school/park/library etc