PDA

View Full Version : Cheesed off big time

loopyloopy
12-04-2012, 05:06 PM
Have any of you had any bad experiences with ebay? I am fuming and no idea what to do about it.

Basically I sold an item on there in very good condition and now the buyer has said its damaged. I wrapped it very well so it was not caused in transit. It was described honestly and stated no returns and now she has ordered me to refund her which I dont think I have to do. It said no returns, described accuratley and she also had lots of time prior to the auction ending to ask for additional photos and now she is on a charater assassination, being quite rude and insisting I am hiding something and im so :censored::angry:. I have never sold an item I wouldnt be happy to receive and this has really upset me. Its my word against hers and I have even looked on the ebay help bit and according to them if we cant settle, ebay have to decide. If they side with her they will refund her and then chase me for the money and she will be able to keep the item :eek:

Really annoyed is an understatement right now

silvermist
12-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Oh no thats awful, Ive never sold anything on there. Can you contact ebay yourself saying she had asked for more pics etc and ask their advice. Seems very unfair and what if she is just saying this to get refund and keep the item!:mad:

miffy
12-04-2012, 05:14 PM
Very unfair that she could get a refund AND keep the item.

Miffy xx

loopyloopy
12-04-2012, 05:15 PM
Oh no thats awful, Ive never sold anything on there. Can you contact ebay yourself saying she had asked for more pics etc and ask their advice. Seems very unfair and what if she is just saying this to get refund and keep the item!:mad:

I used there live chat thingy earlier and they said that they will call within 72 hours which is fine. I just dont know what to do, if she had asked for additional photos I would have sent them, if she has not embarked upon calling me a shoddy seller and I liar I may have refunded her but like a friend said it could be a case of shes changed her mind or short of cash and im the target for her to obtain money. I just am totally mortified and upset that somebody would think of me in this way especially as I have not done anything wrong. I will never sell anything on ebay again

loopyloopy
12-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Should say that if it was a couple of pounds then fine but its 80 odd :mad:

nikki thomson
12-04-2012, 05:17 PM
eBay can abit of a nightmare sometimes but generally we have always been ok, although my friend sold a swimming pool pump on there brand new and line a year later got an e-mail from the guy they'd sold it to saying he'd only just opened it and it didn't work snd he wanted his money back!!!! Errr don't think so.
In your case I would probably tell her to send it back to you at her expense and then refund her, I know you shouldn't have to but I'd be miffed to let her keep it as she could be stringing you a line, some people are not honest, see what they say if they don't want to send it back then no refund. Even though you said no refunds or returns its just easier sometimes than to get into a big battle over it, but I do think your in the right. X

silvermist
12-04-2012, 05:19 PM
I used there live chat thingy earlier and they said that they will call within 72 hours which is fine. I just dont know what to do, if she had asked for additional photos I would have sent them, if she has not embarked upon calling me a shoddy seller and I liar I may have refunded her but like a friend said it could be a case of shes changed her mind or short of cash and im the target for her to obtain money. I just am totally mortified and upset that somebody would think of me in this way especially as I have not done anything wrong. I will never sell anything on ebay again

Sorry I read that wrong, I thought she had asked. I would try not to get too upset for now, when ebay contact you tell them how upset you sre and see what comes of it. I know its upsetting to be thought of in this way but really, try not to worry hun. x
ps/ let me know how you get on though. x

loopyloopy
12-04-2012, 05:21 PM
eBay can abit of a nightmare sometimes but generally we have always been ok, although my friend sold a swimming pool pump on there brand new and line a year later got an e-mail from the guy they'd sold it to saying he'd only just opened it and it didn't work snd he wanted his money back!!!! Errr don't think so.
In your case I would probably tell her to send it back to you at her expense and then refund her, I know you shouldn't have to but I'd be miffed to let her keep it as she could be stringing you a line, some people are not honest, see what they say if they don't want to send it back then no refund. Even though you said no refunds or returns its just easier sometimes than to get into a big battle over it, but I do think your in the right. X

Thanks Nikki, she has said she will send it back and I have to refund her but I am too stubborn for my own good sometimes and I really dont think I should. If it was me then I would expect to have to make do or re-list it myself on ebay not stamp my feet and expect the rules to be broken. I really am too stubborn and really dont want to budge as the item was perfectly fine and what if she has now damaged it intentionally and I will lose out on the item and financially.

CH1957
12-04-2012, 05:30 PM
My daughter had similar problems with EBay. She sold a designer handbag, was a lot of money, and the buyer said it was fake and wanted a refund. DD refused at first but buyer got EBay involved and they chased DD for the refund - we are talking about hundreds of pounds. Very unfair I think as it was genuine but buyers word against DD. Seems they side with the buyer!

silvermist
12-04-2012, 05:37 PM
Having read all the replies it does seem that it might be best to refund her. In future, I would take a photo of anything you are selling, you can put a time/date stamp on the photo so you have some proof of its condition.

pinkellifun
12-04-2012, 05:40 PM
eBay can be a bit of hit and miss. I've had a few problems. One was of a similar nature and what I said was that they send it back at their own expense and I would refund MOST of the money. I can't remember exactly how much but I think it was about 90% something like that. We argued back and forth but I didn't budge and eventually they agreed. When I got the item back, there was the tiniest scratch known to man! :rolleyes: Luckily I had taken photos before sending it.

Don't get upset about eBay just because of one buyer. I have had a few problems but cover yourself a little more from now on and take loads of pictures of the item and then some more of how it was packaged - even if you feel that way inclined, get someone at the post office to sign the picture stating it was packaged that way.

jane5
12-04-2012, 05:43 PM
I feel for you :angry:

I have been on both sides of this, I sold some boots, cost me £90 hardly worn as they were too big and got £16 for them.
The woman said she wasnt happy that they had been worn even though I had listed them as used and I said I would knock her £10 off or she could return for a full refund...........she kept them so they only cost her £6, I was just glad to not have the hassle even though I felt she was trying it on :rolleyes:

I also bought a sewing machine and it wasnt working, the seller was really rude to me so I opened a case against him and he refunded me the full amount before ebay made a desicion. I was also allowed to keep the item as it would have cost him more money for me to send it back to him but I dont know what he expected me to do with a broken machine :idea: I threw it in the bin......

I think it is just one of those things when you send things in the post, some people have no morals :angry:

I would offer a partial refund and if it is not accepted I would offer a full refund on the return of the item. I wouldnt let them keep it and get a full refund.
I cant be bothered with the hassle any more, we live and learn :(

loopyloopy
12-04-2012, 05:50 PM
As a gesture of good will I have just offered a £10 refund and I will budge no more. I have really been put off by ebay now, doesnt seem fair at all

silvermist
12-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Good luck, hope it all gets sorted soon x

samb
12-04-2012, 06:09 PM
Oh no that's awful! My worst experience with ebay was on a pair of pudsey pyjamas I sold last year. I only got £2.50 inc P&P anyway, they were used but fine, I cleaned and ironed them and wrapped them well. I didn't hear anything from buyer but she left me a negative review saying they were stained and she wasn't told! They were navy blue and if they were stained I honestly never saw a stain! They were worn in bed by a 2 yr old so what on earth were they stained with?! I sent her a message saying I was disappointed with the negative comment and would have prefered her to contact me and tell me of the problem and I would have offered her a full refund. I never heard from her but was so cross. I have only sold about 15 things on ebay ever and so 1 negative comment brings down your %. :(

nikki thomson
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
As a gesture of good will I have just offered a £10 refund and I will budge no more. I have really been put off by ebay now, doesnt seem fair at all

Don't be put off although I don't think e-bay is the same as it use to be and you can never please everyone.
I use to buy alot of clothes for my children when they were babies from e-bay as I have expensive taste and it did annoy me greatly when people listed things as excellent condition/worn once that sort of thing and it would come and it clearly had been worn lots and sometimes I couldn't even put them
In it I just threw them straight in the bin, on the flip side when I use to sell there baby clothes I was really accurate on my description and went over the outfits with a fine tooth comb to make sure it was how I'd written it as I didn't want to happen what has to you,some people are not on this planet and I think they expect something new for a used price. X

ajs
12-04-2012, 06:22 PM
I had one buyer complain that the stuff she bought off me hadn't arrived when she expected it. I told her to look out the window at the 2 foot of snow, had her postman been and she replied no not for two days :rolleyes: she still insisted on a refund which I gave her rather then receive negative feedback.

I also sold a buggy which I had put the link to the mothercare one on eBay and she tried to tell me I'd listed it as suitable for new born when it wasn't . I replied that I hadn't mentioned new born in the description and the link i Posted to mothercare clearly stated it wasn't suitable for new born so eBay made her remove the negative feedback

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
12-04-2012, 06:50 PM
I will not sell anything on ebay again, I sold a dsi which was in full working order, the buyer then said it wasn't working I said I sent it in full working order. Ebay were a waste of time as I said he could not return it as I don't accept returns. They said I had to let him return it and ebay then took the money out of my account as I had already spent the £80. When he returned it they case it was in was all dirty and had like bird poo on it, it was awful he had broken it and I was out of pocket by £80 quid and ebay didn't care.

kindredspirits
12-04-2012, 06:54 PM
don't worry - ebay will not give her a refund unless she posts it back to you (and she has to post it recorded so delivery can be proved.) so she can't keep the item and have a refund.

i had problems with ebay recently - i bought an ipod and it never showed up - the seller swore blind she had sent it but didn't have any proof of postage - ebay refunded me. if she did post it then i feel for her, but she shouldn't have been so stupid to send something of value in the normal post - if she didn't send it she didn't manage to pull the fast one she intended.

mushpea
12-04-2012, 07:17 PM
I have sold things on there before and somone raised a disupte with paypal and they just refunded the money and there was nothing I could do about it, then again I have been on the other end of it where I have bought somthing and it turned out to be a load of rubbish and not what the description said and paypal refunded me then too .
I would ask her to return the item then refund her for the item only and not hte postage, if she still argues it you can always say it came back in as good a condition as it went.

FussyElmo
12-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Dont actually think you can put no refunds especially if you have used paypal.

The buyer has to return it back to you using proof of postage but if ebay get invovled they will likely rule in favour of the buyer.

I know when I was looking into selling etc on there i read quite a bit on the help section - the most common thing is the no returns and they said you cant do this as if a claim is found aganst you then they will just refund from your paypal account.

loopyloopy
13-04-2012, 06:54 AM
Well she refused my offer of good will, surprise surprise so I think I will just get it back and refund her. I can't bear the thought of eBay refunding her and her still keeping the item. I feel disappointed with myself for feeling so bitter towards her as I don't usually have bad feeling towards people but I'm not letting her have her cake and eat it. It certainly is the last time I sell on eBay though as its really not fair to sellers and I never realised this before yesterday

Tealady
15-04-2012, 08:41 AM
I always try and sell on Gumtree first. They buyer collects so I get them to check it over before they take it.

I've not had problems with e-bay myself but being taken for a ride is always in the the back of my mind so only use it if Gumtree hasn't worked.

EmmaReed84
15-04-2012, 10:58 AM
DH sold a a phone for £330 on ebay, he was about to send it and his company said to send it via their mailing service, which is always recorded. DH did this as it was a huge company using a very good courier service.

DH got a message saying the item was not delievered, he went through the proper channels and chased the parcel which was incorrectly delivered to a department store and signed for. (DH's company sold items to this store) anyway DH's boss spoke to the store manager and they went on a massive hunt around the store but obviously someone saw it, opened it and had it away.

We lost the phone and had to refund the money and the courier company said they were not to blame even though the address was clearly marked and it went through the proper way.