Anyone doing a MA?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Anyone doing a MA?

I really want to do one and wondering if it's possible whilst minding? Also, which one are you doing?
    My first choice is one in leeds...which is an hour away and not distance learning.

Registered Childminder since
    may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Would you be able to find out in advance before the course started what days and hours the taught sessions would be on and would you have to do any work experience in another setting / environment during your course?

Nov 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I am in the process of deciding my research for a phd ....I know that next year I will only be able to Work for 3 days, study for 2 plus evenings and have 2 weekend days off. So I will be phasing out my consultancy work this year.
    I am TTO so am hoping that I will do the final thesis in the 6 week holiday of 2017 .

But...I do not have children living at home.
    I have a wonderful husband who doesn't just say he supports me - in my various study/ career moves he has wholly supported in childcare, cooking, cleaning and ironing.... He has a proven record of stepping in when I get to that hysterical deadline moment ...pops rescue remedy in my bag if I ever have an interview - especially when people are questioning my research and conclusions like they do for an MA!
    I have supportive educated friends who love to discuss my ideas, who hold strong opinions and will debate with me, so I do not need the study group support like at Uni. It's easy for me to work on my own, but my Sinlaw finds that daunting- her support network is not on her doorstep, but she is still managing.
    I love writing, I write reflectively most days, I have somewhere quiet to do this.
    My days are not long -I often read in the half hour before LO's arrive at 8- LO's are gone and diaries and Obs done by 6.
    My parents are interested in my studies, they all use grandparents or partners aswell for childcare so if I have to and cannot change a uni meeting ( rarely, Birmingham are fab- but it happens) they all will happily swap days or bring later/ collect earlier - they work in education so although usually pick up 5ish will / are able to come earlier.

Without all this support I would never have completed previous study, or coped with the failures along the way too - so needs a lot of thought and planning.....then go for it!!

4. Likes hectors house, Rarara liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm in my final year and was awarded credit points for EYPS so that reduced the time. Year one consisted of 7 study weekends but I know this many of the first year students this year are doing it distance learning. I'm doing it through University Centre Doncaster, you'll be able to find out more from this link
    Courses MA in Early Childhood Studies

I am undertaking independent research into heuristic play (loose parts, open ended resources) with a specific focus on childminders as so little research is done about our unique provision. I'm looking at practice and if childminders have been inspired through attending training or workshops related to this area of play. Ultimately to see if changes to practice have resulted in more creativity, problem solving skills etc for children due to this type of play compared to a reliance on plastic manufactured toys. I will be putting a questionnaire together soon for childminders and I'm also in touch with some trainer/consultants and authors to seek their views. I'm finding MA study to be very much independent as everyone's research is different.
    Sheffield university also offer the MA

6. Likes Rarara liked this post
    Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

How difficult can it be?

I had an enquiry last year from a parent who was about to start a post-grad course at our local university. The email made absolutely no sense at all. I replied, seeking clarification. So she got her DH to reply, and his English was equally unintelligible, and his email signature was "Forename Surname MSc."

Dec 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I am in the process of deciding my research for a phd ....I know that next year I will only be able to Work for 3 days, study for 2 plus evenings and have 2 weekend days off. So I will be phasing out my consultancy work this year. I am TTO so am hoping that I will do the final thesis in the 6 week holiday of 2017 . But...I do not have children living at home. I have a wonderful husband who doesn't just say he supports me - in my various study/ career moves he has wholly supported in childcare, cooking, cleaning and ironing.... He has a proven record of stepping in when I get to that hysterical deadline moment ...pops rescue remedy in my bag if I ever have an interview - especially when people are questioning my research and conclusions like they do for an MA! I have supportive educated friends who love to discuss my ideas, who hold strong opinions and will debate with me, so I do not need the study group support like at Uni. It's easy for me to work on my own, but my Sinlaw finds that daunting- her support network is not on her doorstep, but she is still managing. I love writing, I write reflectively most days, I have somewhere quiet to do this. My days are not long -I often read in the half hour before LO's arrive at 8- LO's are gone and diaries and Obs done by 6. My parents are interested in my studies, they all use grandparents or partners aswell for childcare so if I have to and cannot change a uni meeting ( rarely, Birmingham are fab- but it happens) they all will happily swap days or bring later/ collect earlier - they work in education so although usually pick up 5ish will / are able to come earlier. Without all this support I would never have completed previous study, or coped with the failures along the way too - so needs a lot of thought and planning.....then go for it!!
    Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hectors house View Post
    Would you be able to find out in advance before the course started what days and hours the taught sessions would be on and would you have to do any work experience in another setting / environment during your course?
    That one there would be no work experience. Another one I'm looking at I have to work with children and childminding should be sufficient. If it's not, well that'd be weird.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FloraDora View Post
    I am in the process of deciding my research for a phd ....I know that next year I will only be able to Work for 3 days, study for 2 plus evenings and have 2 weekend days off. So I will be phasing out my consultancy work this year.
    I am TTO so am hoping that I will do the final thesis in the 6 week holiday of 2017 .

But...I do not have children living at home.
    I have a wonderful husband who doesn't just say he supports me - in my various study/ career moves he has wholly supported in childcare, cooking, cleaning and ironing.... He has a proven record of stepping in when I get to that hysterical deadline moment ...pops rescue remedy in my bag if I ever have an interview - especially when people are questioning my research and conclusions like they do for an MA!
    I have supportive educated friends who love to discuss my ideas, who hold strong opinions and will debate with me, so I do not need the study group support like at Uni. It's easy for me to work on my own, but my Sinlaw finds that daunting- her support network is not on her doorstep, but she is still managing.
    I love writing, I write reflectively most days, I have somewhere quiet to do this.
    My days are not long -I often read in the half hour before LO's arrive at 8- LO's are gone and diaries and Obs done by 6.
    My parents are interested in my studies, they all use grandparents or partners aswell for childcare so if I have to and cannot change a uni meeting ( rarely, Birmingham are fab- but it happens) they all will happily swap days or bring later/ collect earlier - they work in education so although usually pick up 5ish will / are able to come earlier.

Without all this support I would never have completed previous study, or coped with the failures along the way too - so needs a lot of thought and planning.....then go for it!!
    Ultimately I'd like to complete a phd. I hear what you are saying re supportive husband, I completed EYTS and PgCert and without my husband I could not have done it!
    May I ask what your studies are in?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    I'm in my final year and was awarded credit points for EYPS so that reduced the time. Year one consisted of 7 study weekends but I know this many of the first year students this year are doing it distance learning. I'm doing it through University Centre Doncaster, you'll be able to find out more from this link
    Courses MA in Early Childhood Studies

I am undertaking independent research into heuristic play (loose parts, open ended resources) with a specific focus on childminders as so little research is done about our unique provision. I'm looking at practice and if childminders have been inspired through attending training or workshops related to this area of play. Ultimately to see if changes to practice have resulted in more creativity, problem solving skills etc for children due to this type of play compared to a reliance on plastic manufactured toys. I will be putting a questionnaire together soon for childminders and I'm also in touch with some trainer/consultants and authors to seek their views. I'm finding MA study to be very much independent as everyone's research is different.
    Sheffield university also offer the MA
    I'll check out that link thanks. Your research sounds interesting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    How difficult can it be?

I had an enquiry last year from a parent who was about to start a post-grad course at our local university. The email made absolutely no sense at all. I replied, seeking clarification. So she got her DH to reply, and his English was equally unintelligible, and his email signature was "Forename Surname MSc."

Maybe their post grad study was in maths?

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

hi i did first year of MA last year - it was a professional development / professional enquiry so was all related to my childminding and childcare theory but in practice too. The course was designed for those who worked full time so was mainly distance learning. I had 3 or 4 meetings with my tutor and about 3 taught sessions on a Saturday.
    Its worth looking round to see what your local uni offers. I did this alongside working full time.