Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default English or Welsh? Help!!

I am currently studying for my foundation degree (1st year) at the Glyndwr uni in Wrexham. It is an online course.

I am based in Essex. I am writing an assignment, and want to link my work in with the EYFS. I have just realised that the Foundation Phase (under Welsh law) is the equivalent - but covers 3-7 YOs, not 0-5.

Can anyone who has done this course (or similar), and is based in England, confirm to me (reassure me!) that I need to approach this work from an EYFS point of view - as that is the curriculum I work to (by law) and I am inspected under. I can't see the point of learning laws that don't apply, but please tell me I won't get marked down for it!

Thank you

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You cannot possibly be expected to learn about the Welsh Foundation Stage that's ridiculous!

I think you need to speak to your course provider / tutor and get some reassurances from them.

Hth

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely you will be expected to use EYFS! As you know Glyndwr is very close to the border and so all years of students have a mix of English and Welsh attending. As the course progresses you will be expected to discuss all other Early Years curricula and how they compare/contrast to EYFS but it makes sense that you will always know more about the one that you actually work to.

Hope the course is going well for you

amanda x

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks manjay I knew either you or Mouse would be along to put my mind at rest
    That is exactly what I thought. It has taken me long enough to get head around the EYFS, without learning about laws that don't affect me!!

It is going ok (I think!). I have just posted my second assessed discussion. I wasn't happy with the last one, as everyone in my group worked in nurseries/pre schools, so seemed to be talking about things that I couldn't relate to or didn't effect me I did comment about it in my learning journal, and my group this time has at least 1 other CM

thanks again

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey there! I was at Glyndwr last year!! Really missing the study actually - how sad is that!

I refered to the EYFS loads even though living in Wales! I often compared it to Foundation Phase in essays too.

Mayjay and I were lucky as there were quite a few cms in our group along with a DW so we were able to support each other quite a bit.

Hope the next assignment goes well