Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: EYPS

Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Bluelion - people I've spoken to who've completed this have all said they're glad they did it from a self improvement point of view. I honestly don't know anyone who found it life changing, though I know a preschool manager who gets more money from having done it.

Sammc, I don't know if there is still a bursary for it, that may depend on your individual provider so best to check with them and find out. As it was I didn't end up spending out for cover, I was really lucky that all my parents could be flexible and move their days so I only lost maybe £100 income throughout the whole course. However, the money did get used for travel and for stationary I needed, the rest went into my business, a little extra is always nice
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone else doing this now? Started mind last week. Would rather not go off am hunt for s different forum to chat about it if possible as I like this one! Bur no one seems to be answering EYPS posts ....
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

How are you getting on, Jadavi?

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the interest Venus.

a few things after 2 sessions...

I found out yesterday trying to claim for books and my mentor's mileage etc that the bursery is only for cover.

Really annoyed about this as the course tutor told us repeatedly we could use it how we like and I would not have picked the mentor I did if I had know I would have to pay for her petrol...

Understandably they have been given so little info I cant blame them really.... I only got on mine by sheer fluke as funding was so late they didint have time to advertise it.

I agree i dont think it'll be life changing...

What is disappointing is that it seems to be almost totally showing off! Showing how good I am with this age range and that age range...and being clever with the evidence and a lot of what can only be described as blarney and jargon being thrown around.
    I was hoping I would learn something but i think the best bit will be visiting my mentor's setting and her to me (and tbh it isnt really necessary for the course). I'm also looking forward to any feedback about my setting from the tutor when she visits me.

I do understand that the whole point of the course is indeed to prove that your experience in early years equips you to be able to join the network and be accredited (which is why I'm doing it) and that is all it is.

I also ended up doing the diploma level three as well - in the hope of input but that also seems the same...throw around the right terms and demonstrate you understand it! At least I will get regular setting visits which will hopefully throw up a number of tips and suggestions for me as I feel isolated where I am (rural area) and if it wasn't for this forum I would feel totally stranded as none of my local cms are interested in getting together.

cheers
    ja
    'It's never too late to have a happy childhood' ( Tom Robinson)

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh that's a shame about the bursary. They never told us what we had to spend it on, it was said to be for cover and expenses but some people on my course found their nurseries just took the money and didn't pay them for the days off. We just got it as a sum, or as three sums, of money an they never asked us to account for it. For me, it just went into my general pot of money.

I think that for me it gave me more confidence in what I was doing. Childminding is little understood and often undervalued. To me, getting the status meant that I actually was achieving something. It's sad that I didn't feel that way anyway. It was also intended as a stepping stone for me but I got offered work at the Children's Centre before I got the EYPS so it turned out to be unnecessary in that respect.

I'm in the same situation as you, being rural and the only one interested in meeting up. I've been trying for years to run a Childminder's group, nobody's interested. Like you this forum has kep me going (and sane!). Hopefully being part of the network will help you, nothing beats being able to discuss the job with other childminders, online or IRL.

Good luck, ask any questions you like x

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234