Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Starting E100 in October? reading materials

I should be starting E100 in October so am wondering if there are any books I should get before hand to help me prepare.

I am minding 5 days a week 8-6 from September so want to give myself a head start if I can.

Thanks

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Starting E100 in October? reading materials

What is E100 not heard of it Claire
    Needs to Zumba

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I am starting this in october with the ou, they send everything needed I think. Are you doing it through them to?

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

They send all the books and DVD's you need. I started fd a couple years ago with OU and bought a book and haven't used it once as they like you to use their materials

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You read their literature, write about their literature, reference their literature in your writing and give positive comments about how their literature has helped you.

Look forward to a very large box arriving before the course starts

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    You read their literature, write about their literature, reference their literature in your writing and give positive comments about how their literature has helped you.

Haha, that's so true... and the hardest part of any OU course is getting organised while buried under their reams of paper IMO

Op: They usually send stuff quite early which is great for getting ahead a few weeks.

Good luck with it
    bws,
    Wendy

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm starting it in oct too through OU! At least there'll be a few of us on here doing it to help each other out!!

I'm stopping working fridays from Aug, main reason being the degree. I just don't think I'd cope working 52 hrs a week, plus paperwork, plus degree - oh yeah & my own family & life!!!

Those of us starting it in Oct should pm e-mail addresses so we can ask each other Q's & keep us all going between us...???

xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

That is such an accurate description of OU!!! No chance of researching and learning outside their books in fact it is actually discouraged - it is a very strange way of working - but for those of us that cannot go to college it is the only choice unfortunately! Good look with it - I have enjoyed this year!

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Orksie one it is the first part of the degree in early years but if done on its own you can get a certificate in early years (might be wording this wrong).

I think I may just do E100 and go no further as I already have an MA in another field entirely and although I am getting funding for the E100 I do not know if I would get funding for the rest and couldn't afford it myself.

Should be registering for it on 9th June for October start.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cj1973 View Post
    Oh Orksie one it is the first part of the degree in early years but if done on its own you can get a certificate in early years (might be wording this wrong).

I think I may just do E100 and go no further as I already have an MA in another field entirely and although I am getting funding for the E100 I do not know if I would get funding for the rest and couldn't afford it myself.

Should be registering for it on 9th June for October start.
    Ok thanks for that...Good luck xx
    Needs to Zumba

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mum2two View Post
    I'm starting it in oct too through OU! At least there'll be a few of us on here doing it to help each other out!!

I'm stopping working fridays from Aug, main reason being the degree. I just don't think I'd cope working 52 hrs a week, plus paperwork, plus degree - oh yeah & my own family & life!!!

Those of us starting it in Oct should pm e-mail addresses so we can ask each other Q's & keep us all going between us...???

xx

Uh oh, This thread is making me want to sign up for E100 in October too: trouble is, almost every time i sign up for an OU course some kind of disaster occcurs Started it last year, but had to stop: my daughter had an accident, fracturing her skull, was too ill to go back to college etc..

I'm working toward doing fewer days too, so I could fit the study in, in theory.... Hmmm, I am tempted... especially with nice people around to support each other

Bws, Wendy

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried to work for only 4 days per week but then my main earning family had a job change and a family who was having the mindee on a friday got a job so I am now minding on a friday. Thought I would get a monday when the older ones at school free but one of my other families wants it from september. So five days a week 8-6.

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    That is such an accurate description of OU!!! No chance of researching and learning outside their books in fact it is actually discouraged - it is a very strange way of working - but for those of us that cannot go to college it is the only choice unfortunately! Good look with it - I have enjoyed this year!
    I think it is a VERY weird way of working. Can't imagine not being able to research anywhere I want. Elearning versions of the FD are available so OU is not the only option. I do a combination of classroom and elearning but my course is available completely online

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cj1973 View Post
    I tried to work for only 4 days per week but then my main earning family had a job change and a family who was having the mindee on a friday got a job so I am now minding on a friday. Thought I would get a monday when the older ones at school free but one of my other families wants it from september. So five days a week 8-6.
    I look after 4 under 5's mon-fri 8-6, so I am going to need to really motivate myself to study some evenings. Luckily my friend is starting it in october too so we can motivate each other, and of course everyone else on here thats doing it.

Oct 05
    Post Thanks / Like

When you get your books, take really really good care of them. I have just found out that the same readers are used for the next course, E105, but you don't get another copy.

Mine are all written on, and highlighted, etc, and I'll have to try to use them again.

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tired View Post
    When you get your books, take really really good care of them. I have just found out that the same readers are used for the next course, E105, but you don't get another copy.

Mine are all written on, and highlighted, etc, and I'll have to try to use them again.
    Thanks for the warning. I'm going to find it weird not researching where ever I want to as my degrees are both history based and we would have to go out and find different research sources. Suppose everone is working from the same playing field then which must making the work easier to mark.

feb 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

hi, i am starting E100 in october aswell. really looking forward to it.

Mar 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstainding
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Starting E100 in October? reading materials

Hi Claire,
    Just seen this post. OU do give you materials to work through - but research using other books is vital in some TMAs - just to pad out reference or resource lists
    Time was a major issue for me completing the course [4 under 5s, working Mon-Fri 8 til 5.30] - and I usually only browsed extra books but it did improve my understanding on the whole.
    Always managed to pick up a book relevant to TMA from local library (but these were personal to what piqued my interest), ie:
    Book: Featherstone, S., Beswick, C., and Louis, S., (2009) Again, Again! Understanding Schemas in Young Children : Early Years Library
    Book: Price, H. (2008) The Really Useful Book of ICT in the Early Years : Really Useful Series
    Book: Tucker, K. (2005) Mathematics Through Play in the Early Years, London, Paul Chapman.

My only other recommendation to those who may have not studied at HE before is perhaps the Good Study Guide & an essay writing book ... Cant bloomin' find them now...

Also, this link was really helpful (but only found it after I fluffed first couple of TMAs) http://www.open.ac.uk/skillsforstudy/

Hope this helps.... I'm up at this awful time stressing about moving house - ON THE DAY that E105 starts
    Making the leap & returning to childminding - it's what I know & love

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i am starting the E100 in october too!!!!

I am hoping to continue and do the whole degree

it will be my third degree......

OH thinks i am mad! i work 55 hours a week

mandy xxxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Sept 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also starting E100 in Oct. I'm a little bit worried that I may not be able to do it. I can't wait for the books to arrive so I can see what I've got to do. I'll probably need loads of support from here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast