Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Requirements for Childcare NVQ 2 & 3

Afternoon all,

New to the forum and infact the world of childminding, I'm currently weighing up options, but enquirying into NVQ childcare I've been informed - to be considered for a place on the course I need to currently be undertaking some form of child care, whether that be volunteering or paid.

With all respect working for someone else means I'll be on less money they i currently am. However, to build experience will volunteering for after-school classes be relevant?

The other local college I enquired too, says I don't need this experience, but they run September to Spetember. I cannot go into full-time education trust me under grad and post grad later I'm still no nearer a good job.

I'm aware of the introduction to childcare, which i'm going to apply and go on and then take it from there. However, the college that will let me onto this course has told me I need to start at NVQ 2 and progress, surprisingly its £200 for level 3 then the other college!

Thanks.

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Requirements for Childcare NVQ 2 & 3

nvq's are all about work based learning so you have to be doing the job to do the nvq really.
    you can do one day a week at college and do the practical part there which is what northampton college offer but it is best to do it in your own setting at work.

there was a lady on my nvq 3 who worked in an after school club and found it very dificult to get all her assesment so she moved jobs and managed to finish it in the 12 months we been given

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just started my nvq 3, as a childminder I am doing it in my own home with an assessor that will visit every couple of weeks to do obs and assessments etc... it is also funded by my local authority.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by green puppy View Post
    I have just started my nvq 3, as a childminder I am doing it in my own home with an assessor that will visit every couple of weeks to do obs and assessments etc... it is also funded by my local authority.
    Same here. 8 of us are on the course - 6 minders, 1 family support worker & 1 Teaching assistant. We are doing one eve a week with tutor & work-based assessment which for the CMs is at home. We had to already be working in a setting to get onto the funded course and none of us had to start at L2 we all went straight into L3 but we all have other childcare qualifications of various sorts. We also had to sit maths & english tests.

However a friend who was not working in childcare yet had to start with L2 and could not get it funded. She volunteered 1 day in a local family centre.

NVQ CCLD covers children from birth to 16 so after school club would still be relevant. The afterschool club would need to agree to you volunteering & being assessed. Our tutor said we have to be working/volunteering 16 hours a week for level 3 not sure if that is her or normal.
    Last edited by tulip0803; 25-11-2009 at 11:11 PM.

pre-reg
    Non childminder member
    business
    Post Thanks / Like

Quite interesting,

So the NVQ's are something to work towards, what do you think I'll need to start?

I know there is the Food Hygine, Child First Aid, Health & Safety (not sure about), CRB along with OfSted registartion do these mean I could start, without sounding rude sounds to simple for some thing as big as child caring.

Not too worried about grants etc as my redundancy money can help me.

Worrying thing is to start I'd have to leave my job...