What courses can be usefull to do before registering?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What courses can be usefull to do before registering?

Hello. I am hoping to register as a childminder next year. I
    already have an NVQ2 in early years and currently doing an NVQ 3 in ccld. I have first aid too. Is there anything else I can do myself in the mean time? I am booked in for my ICP course in Jan. Don't plan on doing anythinng before that, but I know you often need to book far in advance.

Thanks
    Jenny

Registered Childminder since
    Apr 98
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What courses can be usefull to do before registering?

I don't think there is much else you can do before you are registered.

The ICP will give you a lot of information and once you are registered you will be eligable to do any courses run locally or by your Early Years team.

Dee

Sept 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Hiya

Basic food hygiene is a good one - though not compulsory, I also got funding for this in my area. Its always worth asking

Hollyx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm going on a nutrition course next year - not compulsory, but it's an area I want to improve... I went on a really good diversity course recently as well, just to earn a few Brownie points really and get some fresh ideas

I think tBH you'll be busy enough with ICP, so I wouldn't worry unless you're bored!!

Pipsqueak Guest

Although not complusory, the ICP (this part mandatory) is the first unit of the DHC BUT if you have your NVQ CCLD (3) then I can't really see that you should need to do the DHC unless you want to.

I took some basic training in Child Protection, Food Hygiene, Healthy Eating and Active Listening - none of this is compulsory but good practice. Helps to show your commitment. I would say though - don't overload yourself or you may end up melting into a big puddle (like I am doing at the moment).