Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default what level are we as childminders?

I am a childminder and am seriously thinking about applying for a job at a local surestart nursery as i getting increasingly fed up of all the work i need to do with the new EYFS, and feel it has taken all the fun out of childminding now.
    Waht i want to know is i have done my ICP course (cache) and a first aid course and child protection course. What level does that make me. As the nursery is wanting level 3?

Aug 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: what level are we as childminders?

I'm not sure what level we are but it is not a 3 (and very much doubt a 2 either) as I've just applied to college to get this qualification.

Mel

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You may be classed as level 2 if you have done all 3 childminding courses and all core training so going by what you have said im afraid you cant be classed as a level but just experienced

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry the ICP is not a level 3 course(and it is specific to childminding). The First Aid and Child Protection are relevant courses but not graded. The level 3 type course that they want are the ones that go into in depth detail about child development and learning, usually with assessment, and normally last at least a year.

What you do have is experience, you could always apply on the off chance (depends how many applicants they have) and say you are willing to study the level 3, you may get lucky (depends on the competition) but be prepared to be disappointed . If you are wanting to move jobs you could maybe see if you could get on a local level 3 childcare relevant course . Then you can say you are studying towards
    Last edited by tulip0803; 15-10-2008 at 05:05 PM.

dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

As a childminder we dont have a level unless you have got a childcare qualification . I went to college and did my nvq level 2 in early years and childcare education for a year and a half and would have to do the same again for a level 3.

Jan 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

finished my NVQ3 a few yrs ago took me 9months
    like what has been said b4 your not on a level yet hun ok

09/2006
    Post Thanks / Like

i am currently doing DCC Diploma in homebased childcare which has 5 units first one is ICP. This is level 3 but even if you do this ,it does not mean that you are equivalent to nursery wanting NVQ3 level.
    I have been told that it really depends on nursery if they will take it as equivallent.
    If i am wrong somebody let me know please.
    As i am due finish my level 3 in early next year.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I completed the ICP, DCP and ECP which gives you a CCP (Certificate in Childcare Practice) which is a level 3 qualification. It relates to childcare and is qualified through CACHE. If you want to achieve yours why not start the Home Based certificate?

Good luck with your application
    Debbie

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i am currently doing DCC Diploma in homebased childcare which has 5 units first one is ICP. This is level 3 but even if you do this ,it does not mean that you are equivalent to nursery wanting NVQ3 level.
    I have been told that it really depends on nursery if they will take it as equivallent.
    If i am wrong somebody let me know please.
    As i am due finish my level 3 in early next year.
    It is a Level 3, you are right but is strictly for home-based care. It's a very relevant, valid, interesting way forward if childminding is your chosen career. But it's not very portable if you want to go into nursery work. I'm not sure how many nurseries would accept it as an equivelent to NVQ3 as they have to tick boxes for OFSTED when it comes to staff training and OFSTED might not consider a home-based qualification as sufficient for working in a nursery.
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

dec 05
    Post Thanks / Like

For my level 2 in early years and childcare education qualification i had to work in a nursery 5 days a week for a year and a half

09/2006
    Post Thanks / Like

i thought so.My children centre said if it is Cache registered than it should be equivalent but I never really thought that.
    My childminding was what i really wanted to do but the fun has gone out of it cause of eyfs and ofsted and not exactly telling everyone the same things.

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: what level are we as childminders?

I have no childcare qualifications, yet! I am going to a childminding pre-reg session on Tuesday and will go from there. I hope to get up to the NVQ 3 as I have an NVQ 3 a different subject.

Sep 05
    Post Thanks / Like

You could always apply to the nursery anyway. Depending on your experience and what age children you usually care for they may take you and fund your qualifications. I think it's best to have a level 3, be it a diploma or NVQ because it shows parents you take your job seriously and it also allows you flexibility with what you can apply for etc

Apr 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would apply give them your experience and say you are willing to train up,

love Elaine XX

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You'll still have paperwork supporting EYFS to do at a nursery, too, though. Something to keep in mind. And depending upon the age group, you're also looking at writing up focus activities, phase one activities AND keyworker obs and files for each of your key children. If it's the paperwork part of childminding you hate then I'd think twice about a nursery because there's even more!
    Why is "phonics" not spelled the way it sounds?

Oct 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I approached my local nursery telling them i wanted to do an NVQ Level 2 in CCLD, they told me the name of one of the trainers they use ( who are in the training manual) and i start my placement next week, 2days a week (16 hours min), an NVQ Assessor will visit me on the placement in a couple of weeks and course should take 9 months and i can do level 3 soon after. The course was funded by the trainer as 'Train to gain' so that was an added bonus

Im so excited

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tatia View Post
    You'll still have paperwork supporting EYFS to do at a nursery, too, though. Something to keep in mind. And depending upon the age group, you're also looking at writing up focus activities, phase one activities AND keyworker obs and files for each of your key children. If it's the paperwork part of childminding you hate then I'd think twice about a nursery because there's even more!
    Tatia is quite right with this comment. I went to work in our local Nursery, I enjoyed it but no where near as much as minding. Some of the reasons being:

Instead of 3 Little ones there was anything up to 20+
    You can be Keyworker to possibly 6 of these (and have all their p/work to complete)
    EYFS is still required (in a BIG way)
    You are no longer your own boss!!!
    You have to sort staffing issues
    Deal with lots more Parents!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The only up side for me was getting my home back, but even that could not persuade me to give up minding . I still help out at Nursery when they need a Supervisor, and Im so glad I gave it a go, and I'm also glad I completed my NVQ3 in Early Years and Education as it gives me the option of trying other things.Although as Childminders we ALL have a wealth of knowledge that no piece of paper can make up for.
    Good Luck with what ever you decide as only you knows what will make you and yours happy .
    June

Post Thanks / Like

hello, yes i had had enough of childminding in sep 08 i applied to a local nursery,which is part of a childrens center, got the job and have been so so happy ever since, they were very happy that i had had the experience with children, and i think thats why i got offered the post.
    i have completed the cache diploma level 3 in home based childcare, they took me on and i am going to do a nvq level 4 in sep 09,
    they did look into what level i was and said i have covered most of the level 3, but i may be able to add units, ie working as part of a team ect, but hey working with children, is great, i have my house back, i work the hours i want and i am so so happy,

go for it, sassy.

Mar 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I would say go for it, really sell your experience in the application and say you are willing to train towards a level 3 qualification. Childminding shows you have experience, initiative, know all about the EYFS, probably more than their own staff! and can deal with parents, paperwork, know all about planning and recording etc, etc, I could go on and on. I worked as a nursery nurse for a surestart childrens centre before I began childminding. The only reason I left was to be at home with my family but then found I missed being with the children and felt really bored so decided to become a childminder and can honestly say I think minding is much harder and takes up all my time especially at mo. My to do list just makes me hide it (lol) as it's getting longer and longer and just when u think u are getting somewhere there's something else going on it.

So go for it you have nothing to loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!