Absolutely Fuming - help and advice needed
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Absolutely Fuming - help and advice needed

Live applied online to do the level 3 EYE course and recieved funding via an advanced learning loan. In receipt of all of my course documents I rang to query the placement requirements ply to be told that my setting cannot be used as a placement! I work full time and really wanted a level 3 qualification in childcare (for my own self improvement) I currently work with all 3 required age groups for a lot more time than is required but as its not a nursery with management it doesn't count. I've now got to pay £100 to cancel a course that I really want to do!!!!

Registered Childminder since
    Jan 13
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, that's rubbish of them!!

Can you meet with someone and argue your case? After all, Ofsted grade us on 'leadership and management' and we fill in that section on the SEF - the same as a group setting does. We organise admissions, organise our continuous professional development, write ourselves setting improvement plans, work with development officers (sort of line managers?), fill in local authority forms for funding etc etc etc!

At the very least, they shouldn't expect you to pay a cancellation fee if you didn't know your setting wasn't deemed suitable.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by natlou82 View Post
    Live applied online to do the level 3 EYE course and recieved funding via an advanced learning loan. In receipt of all of my course documents I rang to query the placement requirements ply to be told that my setting cannot be used as a placement! I work full time and really wanted a level 3 qualification in childcare (for my own self improvement) I currently work with all 3 required age groups for a lot more time than is required but as its not a nursery with management it doesn't count. I've now got to pay £100 to cancel a course that I really want to do!!!!
    You need to raise this as a concern...are you able to report this to your association if you belong to one?

EYE is suitable for Cms as it is for any other provider...this would be classed as discrimination
    Don't let them get away with it.

Post Thanks / Like

The thing is he stated that it's not the college policy but the policy of the qualification, therefore childminders cannot gain the EYE without placement in an alternative setting. I am refusing to believe this and will definitely be taking it further!

Simona Guest

The thing is he stated that it's not the college policy but the policy of the qualification, therefore childminders cannot gain the EYE without placement in an alternative setting. I am refusing to believe this and will definitely be taking it further!
    EYE is endorsed by CACHE and they clearly state it is suitable to all

take a look at this and make sure you send the link to the college

CACHE Level 3 Award in Supporting Children and Young People

All the best to you ...keep us posted

PS: My LA has sent all Cms an email encouraging them to take level 3 up...so somewhere this college is got its wires crossed.

6. Likes Ripeberry, rickysmiths, loocyloo liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

Go to the qualifications 'provider'. Tell them they are discriminating! Is there no other course?
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

I've spoken to CACHE and they have said they don't have this stipulation and that it is the centre that have set their own guidelines! I will be going back to them, I'm so angry!

9. Likes Ripeberry, lisbet, loocyloo liked this post
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

When I did my Level 3 3 years ago the Assor came to my home to assess me working. I didn't have to go anywhere else.

If they knew you were a cm when you signed up then they should have made you fully aware of their special conditions for cm. They should not be charging £100 for you to cancel as they can not provide the correct course.

Simona Guest

For the EYE qualifications providers have to work with all the age groups ...0-5 and 5-7 ...that is why preschool staff need to find a placement where they can be observed with babies and older children.

Good that CACHE have confirmed it is not their requirement...go back to the college

12. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm also waiting for my local Pacey adviser to call me back.

14. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

The good news is I've found a provider who is willing to offer the course and I can transfer my learning loan easily. I'm putting an official complaint to the college and not willing to pay the £100!

16. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Simona Guest

The good news is I've found a provider who is willing to offer the course and I can transfer my learning loan easily. I'm putting an official complaint to the college and not willing to pay the £100!
    Well done you ...BUT...at some stage someone has to hold this college to account
    What they are doing is not allowed and they cannot close the doors to other CMs....we have enough barriers without others being put up for the sake of it!

Do not pay the fine...if anything they should compensate you....cheeky lot they are.

I will research this and make enquiries.
    Enjoy the course!

18. Likes Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Simona it is Stonebridge colleges. I will be writing a letter of complaint clearly stating that I feel discriminated against by this college. I work over 50 hrs per week with children aged between 1 and 9 and it is not acceptable to say that unless I do the placement in a Nursery setting I cannot study the course with them. I will be spending a lot more time with the age groups than the specified placement time. They are restricting my CPD and it goes totally against the DofE plans to have more qualified providers.

20. Likes lisbet, Chatterbox Childcare liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had a feeling that was going to be the name of the college!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you had an experience with them Smiley?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear it looks like I have signed up to a bit of a dodgy college! Well I've written my letter of complaint requesting immediate cancellation of the course and stated I will not be paying a cancellation fee. I will also be onto 24+ loans tomorrow to ensure that the college doesn't draw any funding! I was so excited but now feel so stupid. I'm glad I've found a reputable provider that can take me on and just wish I would have rang my Pacey team earlier for advice on who to train with rather than rushing into it! Will live and learn, but I will keep you informed. To the naive like me, do not trust Stonebridge College!

24. Likes hectors house, Ripeberry liked this post
    Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, experience of them a few years ago when my daughter-in-law (well she is now)signed up to a level 3 childcare course and set up monthly direct debits. I was extremely concerned at the course content, at that time it didn't reflect the EYFS which had already been in a couple of years, it focused on the national standards! It took several phone calls from myself and a strongly worded letter to stop further monies being taken.

Post Thanks / Like

Just wanted to update you on this. I have sent two letters to withdraw myself from this course and clearly stating that I will not pay the £100 fee. I've had to ring and chase this up this morning and the college is still standing by the fact that the EYE qualification cannot be completed using a placement without a manager qualified to level 4. They are adamant that this is the case, I have spoken to CACHE and they confirmed it isn't the case. It sounds like the college is going to gain further info from CACHE as they are saying it could change a lot for them. I'm glad they are investigating this so others don't have to go through this ridiculous faff! But I still just want out as I want to get started with the other better informed provider.

27. Likes JCrakers, lisbet liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm shaking in anger with this now. They have finally replied to my letter and they state that if I don't pay the £100 cancellation fee I will be liable for the full amount of the course! I've spoken again to the manager and he refuses point blank to waive the fee! I've decided to contact Pacey legal for their advice.

29. Likes AliceK liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

By the way I've been on the phone to CACHE again and now they have clarified that I cannot in fact study the EYE course unless I have a qualified person in the workplace to sign off my placements. This has been an eye opener as I believed this to be the suitable level 3 course now. I have not been able to get hold of the new provider yet to clarify exactly which level 3 course they are offering me. I'm confused and exhausted by this and also £100 lighter in the pocket as I didn't fancy being liable for the full cost of the course.