Thread: Heeeeelp

Registered Childminder since
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Heeeeelp

Hi everyone,

Here I am stucked again, it is Task 3 (1.2) CYPCore37.

Write an imaginary letter to the Prime Minister to express your concern for children living in poverty in the UK.

Explain the importance and impact of poverty on outcomes and life chances for children and young people. The Government’s stated aim is to eradicate child poverty by 2020, suggest 3 positive changes and strategies the Government could adopt to achieve their aim.

• 8% of all children were in severe poverty (1999).
    • 13% lacked a warm waterproof coat.
    • 17% lacked new properly fitted shoes.
    • 21% lacked daily fresh vegetables.
    • 31% lacked meat, fish or vegetarian equivalent twice a day.

• Deprivation and inequality rose for the third successive year in 2007/2008.
    • Almost 17,000 more children are on free school meals in 2009 compared to 2005.
    • 3.4 million children are said to be living in deprivation.
    • The gap between the rich and poor in the UK remained at a high level in 2007-08. The richest 5th’s income is 16 times larger than the poorest 5th in the UK. (Source: Office for National Statistics)

How do I do it? I don't know

Thank you very much......

Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure on a letter but could send him a copy of Oliver on dvd and ask is this what he hopes to achieve again.

3. Likes Hello you, Dragonfly liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry couldn't resist it But the answers are pretty much similar to those times coming back so maybe think along them.

5. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

The future is quite frightening when you look at those statistics you have there. Are they made up for the course or factual?
    Sorry my brains on freeze mode at the minute so can't think to help you I was up till daft o'clock with all my bed time reading for all the changes that came in today and throwing out and adding in what I needed to keep ahead of things.

7. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Sept 14
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The stats are about basic needs- food/diet, adequate clothing etc. If a child is cold, hungry, malnourished, has sore feet (!) they not going to be able to learn/ develop. It continues the cycle of deprivation....... hope that helps.

9. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you very much LAL

Simona Guest

Another thing you could add in your letter is raising the minimum wage and even introducing the Living wage...a fair pay for all regardless

These families are poor because their income is low and rely on benefits
    it has been argued that if they benefitted from better pay the welfare system would also benefit because many will come off benefits and able to afford the basics in life such as food for their children...should we mention food banks?

Politics I am afraid have infiltrated childcare

12. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Working is much harder than being on benefits. You get no sympathy if you fall behind with bills yet on benefits they will let you pay so much a week, my wages were on a pay freeze for 3 years but benefits went up yearly. Had to pay for bus travel to school, uniforms, lunches, benefits get most of it free. Fair play to the people on benefits your doing a great job of showing the government what a load of t*****s they are. I don't mean the genuine needy I mean the one's who make a career out of living off benefits and the foreigners who claim it to build houses back home (as seen on t.v recently) what a joke we are to everyone.
    The point I'm making is the British work force get the raw deal and your letter should reflect all that. The government still got their pay rises we didn't, if the law says you should have x amount to live on then why do they need xxxxxx amount to live on that's my arguement. Instead of cutbacks, taking money everywhere tell him to try taking some out of his own pocket and his co robbers pockets too and have a pay freeze for 3 years (not that he would notice it really) but just for principle.
    British values my a***

14. Likes Hello you liked this post
    sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

hang on a minute - keep the letter simple! Its not 'really' to a politician , its just to show that you understand that poverty and deprivation affect the opportunities for children! Research a bit about the link between outcomes for children and deprivation - add in a bit of theory ( maslows hierarchy of needs?) summarise it in a letter - then make your 3 recommendations - maybe free shool meals , uniform vouchers , increased free hours in early years would address some of the first few points. You've probably got better ideas but really don't waste your time on that bit of the essay. Yes of course mum67s and simonas points are absolutely right but this is just a piece of coursework! Just show that poverty is affecting childrens education and welfare.

16. Likes Lal, mum67, Hello you liked this post
    Mar 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    hang on a minute - keep the letter simple! Its not 'really' to a politician , its just to show that you understand that poverty and deprivation affect the opportunities for children! Research a bit about the link between outcomes for children and deprivation - add in a bit of theory ( maslows hierarchy of needs?) summarise it in a letter - then make your 3 recommendations - maybe free shool meals , uniform vouchers , increased free hours in early years would address some of the first few points. You've probably got better ideas but really don't waste your time on that bit of the essay. Yes of course mum67s and simonas points are absolutely right but this is just a piece of coursework! Just show that poverty is affecting childrens education and welfare.
    mama2three you should know that once politics is involved it becomes a big debate but yes keep to the point and make it short.
    You get mine and Simona's drift though don't you Hello you?

18. Likes Hello you liked this post
    Mar 95
    Non childminder member
    Nanny
    Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

You are all amazing! Very nice comments and also useful!
    Now, I have more facts to write it better...
    Thanks for being there when it is needed.
    Have a lovely day everyone!