Level 3
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Level 3

Post Thanks / Like

Default Level 3

Is it fact that by 2015 we will need to have or be working towards a level 3?
    Thanks

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

No there is nothing yet that says we all have to have a level 3.

The CYPOP 5 which all new childminders do is one large module of the Level 3 Diploma Children and Young People's Workforce and they hope that will encourage some to carry on and complete the Diploma. They may also at some point say all new cm must have the full Diploma. The thing is though they desperately need more childcarers so they won't put huge hoops in place that will make it hard for people to Register.

If they decided that by xx date all cm had to have a L3 they would just find that a lot of cm would give up. Unless the Government funded everyone and paid for their parents alternative childcare it would be impossible to bring in. Years ago they said that all cm should have a L3 by 2010 but soon realise it was an unrealistic expectation.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for your informative reply. I've been registered since October and quite a few childminders have been saying it will be compulsory but I didn't think it was. Thank you for the reassurance. I just can't imagine doing all that coursework as well as everything else

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

My pleasure. It might be worth doing at some point I did it two years ago having been childminding for 18 years and at 57, while I was working 50 hours a week. It was quite satisfying and surprised my children who were doing A Levels and Uni exams at the time!

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Natalierose View Post
    Thanks
    The previous govt had the aim of Level 3 for all by 2015...this govt has dismissed any recommendations that it should be so and particularly dismissing Prof Nutbrown's advice by excluding cms in this quality raising exercise

CMs will always differ in opinion on having a Level 3
    level 3 is not really a lot of work especially the current format and can be done at your pace and with the assessor's support
    Some have had terrible experiences and found it boring and unchallenging while others have really enjoyed it

It is a shame that in a sector that is looking at raising quality CMs remain against qualifications but this does not deter those cms who feel Level 3 is of help to them undergoing the task and then moving on to higher levels.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    No.

.....but expect to see this subject raised again before the month is out.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    No.

.....but expect to see this subject raised again before the month is out.
    Hope so Bunyip...
    Not just end of this month but every month!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post
    No. .....but expect to see this subject raised again before the month is out.
    It's utterly ridiculous what a mixed bag of info you get from other childminders at different groups I attend and my LA. You ask 1 question and get 5 completely different answers. Probably because there is constant changes but it's very frustrating trying to keep up.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's utterly ridiculous what a mixed bag of info you get from other childminders at different groups I attend and my LA. You ask 1 question and get 5 completely different answers. Probably because there is constant changes but it's very frustrating trying to keep up.
    Tell me about it..... My DO used to phone me up and ask why I wasn't attending my local CM group (aka 'The CMing Mafia'). I'd give her a whole host of reasons, and she'd say "well you need to go, in order to keep up with what's going on in the childcare profession". When I'd stopped laughing at her continued misuse of the P-word, I'd point out that all the information I ever got there was a mixture of gossip, rumour, and speculation, masquerading as fact.

Didn't mean to be rude (I'm into straight-talking which is a bit 'direct' for the taste of many in this day & age) but the "compulsory Level 3" thing does the rounds as often as most rumours, and I wish I had a £1 for every time it crops up.

Simona Guest

I think that we need to separate the 'gossip' from the 'reality'...and in my view it is very easy to do so..it depends where you get the info from or you wish to listen to or follow.

There is a wealth of information if any of us want to access it from sources we can rely on....
    keeping up with current changes does not require any cm to attend LAs meetings...or be part of any group or belong to this that and the other to be told what is going on and what affects us
    We can also research facts for ourselves and make an educated choice on what is going on...we can ask direct questions of those making the changes and getting replies...or yes it is possible at times!

I recently attended a CMs meeting in my LA...while some CMs were not well informed for whatever reason ...others were more informed than anyone could expect
    Those cms did not wait for info to drop in their inbox or the LA to send emails...they just got on and looked for facts

Does it not ...In a way... happen in this forum when CMs ask questions when answers can be found in the various legislation and regulation guidance ?

We are all aware that LAs have different rules and conditions and also share and inform cms in different ways according to their aims
    I also believe that LAs can be challenged when saying and doing things that are not required

The level 3 is a sore subject for all....some LAs want it as part of the drawing funding/networks condition saga ...while others do not care at all and even allow newly registered cms to be part of the scheme as long as they can tick boxes for the DfE
    I wonder what will happen next September when ticking boxes goes out of the window?

Bunyip...you have very clear views on Level 3. You did not need to do it as it is not 'compulsory'....never has been and never will be according to the views against this some cms hold on it
    Your experience was poor ...why not turn that into something positive?
    Many of us had very positive experiences

I too would be rich if I had a £££ for every CM that criticised the Level 3 and the system but actually did something to change it for the better...or argued whether qualifications have any bearing on high quality?...or was rather negative against anyone who wants to study and feel knowledge is important alongside common sense, experience and skills

Natalierose...if you want to find info that you can rely on you have to be selective...plenty out there
    Only then you will know what is actually going on and make an educated decision about Cms future

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Agreed, about the gossip and information.

Difficult finding a 'reliable source' though. The very 'professionals' we're meant to trust are referring us to sources of misinformation. One of the last times I went to my local CM Mafia (sorry, "group") meetings, my DO told us "you'd better get used to agencies, as you're all going to be in one within 2 years."

I can only speak as I find with Level 3. I did it purely for the qualification (the first and last time I've ever done so in any form of 'education'/training in my life) cos it was a requirement for 3-4yo. The requirement was withdrawn within days of me completing the course. I honestly felt I had so much to learn about childcare when I started the course and went into it with a 'positive' attitude. I learned nothing, unless I count the informal chats with other attendees, which could've been done in a pub instead of the plush office of the training company. The rest of it amounted to a 'tick-list' of regurgitated 'criteria' - thinking not allowed.

It was summed up very succinctly by the honest 'feedback' of a European-born nursery-worker on the course who said she couldn't believe what passed for education in this country. She said the course taught her absolutely nothing. Indeed, she felt that anyone who didn't already know what was being 'taught' should not be allowed within touching distance of a child.

Post Thanks / Like

I find that my LA gives very misleading information and many questions I ask she can't answer them. Also when I'm in discussion with other cm's any points that I make (which are generally fact as I have taken the time to research and find the facts) seem to be brushed off maybe this is because I've only been doing this for 7 months and the others have been doing it for years. I don't know. But it's very frustrating so when I'm doubting myself I know that on here you always get very informative replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Bunyip I didn't find what you wrote rude! I actually really enjoy reading your posts.

Dec 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I find that my LA gives very misleading information and many questions I ask she can't answer them. Also when I'm in discussion with other cm's any points that I make (which are generally fact as I have taken the time to research and find the facts) seem to be brushed off maybe this is because I've only been doing this for 7 months and the others have been doing it for years. I don't know. But it's very frustrating so when I'm doubting myself I know that on here you always get very informative replies.
    Oh you are not alone there my dear!

I brought up agencies at our forum meeting, when they had just been announced, a few months after being registered.
    I was publicly shot down, told it would take years to go through (contrary to what we knew here about the speed in which things were happening) and that I was scaremongering....
    With each new development I informed our local meetings, raised eyebrows, condescending looks...
    When I asked questions - don't know's, that's doubtful, won't happen, will get back to you (never did)

Last meeting, hmm, see agencies are now legislated - there was uproar!
    Er well I have been telling you this for nearly two years!!
    Let's start a petition! Er too late, told you all about that at the start but you weren't flaming interested :grr:

I no longer doubt myself anymore, but I do doubt the information being given out by our DO's and LA.
    They claimed to know nothing, fail to ask questions, fail to inform childminders of any changes, fail to keep us informed, failed to fight or support us, and I've no time for them anymore.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Oh you are not alone there my dear! I brought up agencies at our forum meeting, when they had just been announced, a few months after being registered. I was publicly shot down, told it would take years to go through (contrary to what we knew here about the speed in which things were happening) and that I was scaremongering.... With each new development I informed our local meetings, raised eyebrows, condescending looks... When I asked questions - don't know's, that's doubtful, won't happen, will get back to you (never did) Last meeting, hmm, see agencies are now legislated - there was uproar! Er well I have been telling you this for nearly two years!! Let's start a petition! Er too late, told you all about that at the start but you weren't flaming interested :grr: I no longer doubt myself anymore, but I do doubt the information being given out by our DO's and LA. They claimed to know nothing, fail to ask questions, fail to inform childminders of any changes, fail to keep us informed, failed to fight or support us, and I've no time for them anymore.
    Yes kiddleywinks I can totally relate to that!! It's asif others are happy to wait and just be handed information (usually wrong information) by our DO's and then all chaos erupts as it is such a 'surprise' to them. At least by sourcing your own information you can be prepared for up coming changes and also this group is fabulous for just double checking. Im also going to stop daunting myself

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It has been the same here re Agencies though many of them think Agencies are going to be fab because they won't be Ofsted Inspected doesn't seem to occur to them that it will cost a bit more than £35 a year to be part of an Agency who are going to be inspecting them and on their backs for paperwork so they get Outstanding when they are inspected!! Their innocence makes me laugh I fear they are in for a rude awakening..
    Last edited by rickysmiths; 11-05-2014 at 01:33 PM.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddleywinks View Post
    Oh you are not alone there my dear!

I brought up agencies at our forum meeting, when they had just been announced, a few months after being registered.
    I was publicly shot down, told it would take years to go through (contrary to what we knew here about the speed in which things were happening) and that I was scaremongering....
    With each new development I informed our local meetings, raised eyebrows, condescending looks...
    When I asked questions - don't know's, that's doubtful, won't happen, will get back to you (never did)

Last meeting, hmm, see agencies are now legislated - there was uproar!
    Er well I have been telling you this for nearly two years!!
    Let's start a petition! Er too late, told you all about that at the start but you weren't flaming interested :grr:

I no longer doubt myself anymore, but I do doubt the information being given out by our DO's and LA.
    They claimed to know nothing, fail to ask questions, fail to inform childminders of any changes, fail to keep us informed, failed to fight or support us, and I've no time for them anymore.
    I like your last sentence about your LA...possibly there are many like yours...you say they claim to know nothing, fail to keep us supported and informed etc etc.
    I would say this is in line with the fact Truss has removed their supportive role in many ways via legislation...so how come they can still impose strict conditions as and when they like even when they have been removed by central govt such as networks and Level 3?...

In the case of agencies I would doubt LAs 'know nothing' more like 'hear nothing' ...'say nothing' because it suits them.
    If you read my feedback from my CMs forum meeting I am sure you will agree....I think they need to be told politely there is no way they can fob us off

Ricksmiths is right that cms are due a very nasty shock when it comes to agencies ...they need to look further afield than LAs to see where agencies could spring up from...the topic has gone very eerily quiet all of a sudden