Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KatieFS View Post
    Oooooooooo

Interview in may with 'short study skills test'
    Help! What is this test and what might they ask me?!???!?

Frightened! Excited!!! Eek

ooh not sure. ring them and ask them - you are allowed to. Study skills are normally, praceeing or annotating an article/reading. Maybe concisely saying what the reading is about. They'll probably look at your use of standard English (spellings, sentence structure etc). Or referencing (but that would be unfair unless they give you the referencing guide).
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

After lots of thinking I'm going to apply for foundation degree this sept. I was thinking of doing voluntary work with home start, i am working towards outreach work in future.
    but discovered my la is funding 80% foundation degree, so seems crazy not to. I love to learn and would love to do f.d to extended my knowledge, support my business and for my own personal Dvp

What to expect? That's my questions. I have to attend a day a week, I assume ill have home readings and assignments. Just wondering how you found it.

Slightly concerned if any of my children leave ill need to look at new business and don't want the day a week at college to count against me.
    I am 8 weeks away from finishing my BA (Hons) in Working with children, young people and families. I origionally started off as a foundation degree and then did the top up and have to say it was the best thing I ever did.

My foundation degree was classed as a full time degree, I attended uni on a Wed evening 5-8 term time with 1 full day (9.30-3.30) per module, there were 6 modules per term so only 6 days per year.
    This last year has been my BA year and it has gone from 1 evening a week to 1 full day 9.00 - 21.00 every Thursday. However this year has follow the normal uni semester term and so we had 6 weeks off at Xmas, 2 in Feb and 4 over Easter. (the FD followed schools calendar)

In my first year I had a 3 month old baby so I wasn't working, when I started my 2nd year I was nannying 40 hours a week and in my 3rd year I am child minding between 25 and 38 hours a week. It has been hard but it is doable.

My one piece of advice is to get organised, make a study plan and stick to it. If you can drop 1 day at work I would highly recommend it as ive not given myself enough time to study as much as I want. I am on track to get a high 2:1 with an average mark of 67, had I dedicated more time I could have got my first (need an average mark of 70) but hey ho, I'm still happy (ish) with what I will get. (assuming I stop browsing on here get this darn dissertation done!!)

We had a lot of reading to do on a night and a lot of research but like I said earlier, if you stay on top of what you are learning you can do it.
    I plan on going on to do my MA in Social Work, however I want to work in Youth Support but where I live it youth services are being dramatically cut so a qualification in SW can allow me to do both Youth work or social work were as a qualification in youth work would only allow me to work in youth services.

3. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Well done little voice - you've done so well!!! I hope I do as well.

Yup going to ring them nxt week and ask.

Dec 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

This has made me a bit worried. I was planning to apply to start FD October with OU, but reading some of your replies it sounds like it could be quite time consuming. I am a single mum and have 5 children and work 30 hours a week in a preschool (I used to childmind hence why I come on here from time to time). How many hours a week did those of you studying at OU study at week? I really want to do it but at the same time I am worried I will regret it if I end up with little time for the children.

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

They have advised me, my one day at Uni, then 8-10 hours a week. Might be different in practise !?

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I did mine with the OU but never really plotted the number of study hours each week. It's flexible enough just depends how you work, sometimes nothing for days but then quite a bit if an assignment was due. I didn't do many of the 'activities' as I felt I already had knowledge and experience and found many of them unnecessary.

I was working ins 50+ hours per week and teaching some evenings. Burning the midnight oil when assignments due but definitely worth doing, if you want the qualification you'll find a way to manage time

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Interview on 23 may

The study skills test is comprehension and questions from nursery world. Eek

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hooray got on the course! Relieved excited and delighted!!!

10. Likes Bumble Beez liked this post
    Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I was then coming to see how the interview went!
    Congrats...and welcome to the degree level lol x

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Simona Guest

Well done you...I hope you enjoy studying and find it will enrich your knowledge and certainly benefit your practice
    I am sure you will enjoy your one day at Uni and meet so many different practitioners...for me personally it was an eye opener as they were of all ages and worked in different settings
    which college are you going to?
    Good luck and keep us posted

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations :-)

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Trpta108 View Post
    This has made me a bit worried. I was planning to apply to start FD October with OU, but reading some of your replies it sounds like it could be quite time consuming. I am a single mum and have 5 children and work 30 hours a week in a preschool (I used to childmind hence why I come on here from time to time). How many hours a week did those of you studying at OU study at week? I really want to do it but at the same time I am worried I will regret it if I end up with little time for the children.
    honey depends on you. there were girls at college/uni with me who did the bare minimum, resubmitted quite a few essays as they didn't put the reading/work in and they passed.

I did about 10 hours per week on top of work and attending college/uni (more at hand in time in third year) and got a first - i worked my butt off cos I was determined to do well but I had a really supportive hubby to take kids off for me. I'd say if you aim somewhere in the middle you'll do ok.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Dec 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! Just to say I've nearly completed enrolling! I start next Thursday!
    Hope I'm Not the oldest!!!

Nov 05
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi all! Just to say I've nearly completed enrolling! I start next Thursday! Hope I'm Not the oldest!!!
    Ooh how exciting
    I start my second year soon...first year went v.quickly
    Good luck for next Thursday xx

Sarah x
    Sarah, Bumble Beez x x

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12