Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Benefits of Level 3

Thinking long term, what doors can Level 3 open for you?

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbell1979 View Post
    1. Nice piece of paper to frame and hang on the wall -at last you can cover that damp patch.

2. Your training company will offer you a free buffet and presentation evening where they can take your photo with a bunch of acne-ridden school-leavers.

3. You no longer sweat when you see that age-old thread title "Level 3 to become compulsory???"

4. You get to impress a load of easily-impressed fellow childcare "professionals."

5. You don't need to worry about the difficulties of explaining to parents whether it will have any practical value in caring for their lo, as none of them will be the slightest bit interested.

6. You can rest safe in the knowledge that, whatever life brings, you will never again do anything so pointless, irritating or boring again. Ever.

7. You get to write smug little posts on the Forum...........like this one..............by me.

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bunyip View Post

1. Nice piece of paper to frame and hang on the wall -at last you can cover that damp patch.

2. Your training company will offer you a free buffet and presentation evening where they can take your photo with a bunch of acne-ridden school-leavers.

3. You no longer sweat when you see that age-old thread title "Level 3 to become compulsory???"

4. You get to impress a load of easily-impressed fellow childcare "professionals."

5. You don't need to worry about the difficulties of explaining to parents whether it will have any practical value in caring for their lo, as none of them will be the slightest bit interested.

6. You can rest safe in the knowledge that, whatever life brings, you will never again do anything so pointless, irritating or boring again. Ever.

7. You get to write smug little posts on the Forum...........like this one..............by me.
    Well that's put my mind at rest! Nearly finished and I'll be quite pleased to have my evenings back!

4. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Ex CM
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    01/01/09
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL! Bunyip. Exactly how I feel
    Need a laugh? Visit my website: www.unclegargy.deviantART.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lmao!! I want to do mine but it's so expensive I need to save up for a bit.
    Do you think it will ever become compulsory for existing Childminders?

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

Simona Guest

Bunyip...it is very obvious that your experience of the level 3 is not a good one and I really feel for you and understand your frustration
    For some it was challenging and we did learn from it

Personally I feel a Level 3 does have benefits for those cms who wish to learn more and then maybe proceed to a degree or aim for EYPS

It is not a question of 'impressing' anyone who is easily impressed ...I believe it is a personal thing...some of us like to study others don't

Some parents do care about qualifications ...others don't!

Why are cms the only ones in the sector fighting against this Level 3 beats me...others in the sector are willing to take the challenge
    For nursery staff it also means higher pay...could this lead cms to charge a bit more if they achieved qualifications rather than the very low fees they charge at present?

Personally my fees do reflect my qualifications as well as experience and setting I offer...I am proud of my learning
    I loved my FDegree and would love to continue with the next step

It also bugs me when newly registered cms with no knowledge of childcare also charge high fees ...simply because it is the going rate and match those of cms who have been doing the job a long time.

My view is that we need to be recognised a bit more than we are at present...for as long as we resist getting qualified we will always be seen as non equal and dare I say 'glorified babysitters'...oh yes I was once referred to that and it hurt!

we are asking for funding to be increased...I am sure the govt will not raise it to fund unqualified providers but look how much they are investing in new graduates with degrees in marine biology to become EY providers and no idea of childcare.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I didn't get no 2 - We went for dinner and had to pay for it! feel Like I should do it again as I obviously missed this important bit and feel that my NVQ is now worthless and I need to do it to get this vital bit

You left the bit about storing huge folders full of work because you feel that with all that effort you can't just throw them out! I have 5 folders as we had to do the full apprenticeship to get it free

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent 2 fulltime years at college doing my NNEB when I left school. I'm so glad I have it as there is no way on earth I would find time to do it now. I would wear myself down into non existence

Don't know how anyone can work 50hrs a week and find time to study...hats off to everyone that does it
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I spent 2 fulltime years at college doing my NNEB when I left school. I'm so glad I have it as there is no way on earth I would find time to do it now. I would wear myself down into non existence

Don't know how anyone can work 50hrs a week and find time to study...hats off to everyone that does it
    Wish they had kept NNEB...one of the best qualifications to be obtained...why was it scrapped?
    I know 2 colleagues who have it and they are a mine of information and valuable support

I believe Truss believes in the NNEB and the new EYE is supposed to be based on that
    Funnily enough it is in the news today

CACHE helps training centres get ready for Early Years Educator | Nursery World

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry this was a serious question ?

Simona Guest

It is a serious question and one cms have to decide
    it opens the door to more knowledge, better pay, more understanding of EYFS, learning and development, leadership and management, working in partnership with parents...to mention a few...that is my view

Looking long terms at the way this govt is going I think they will value qualifications in terms of outcomes for children

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I have the NNEB and a few years ago I did the diploma in home based childcare. The NNEB was great as my knowledge of child development and education is ingrained but the dhc which was level 3 updated my knowledge especially around rights of the child, equalities acts etc none of which were in existence when I qualified with my NNEB!

I don't know what benefits exactly I get from having my level 3 apart from self satisfaction and updated knowledge.
    I know I could work in a nursery or school but that would be using my NNEB as dhc was for home based carers.

July07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure what my level 3 gives me...its not more pay that's for sure. I learnt a lot from my 2yrs at college and a lot about how children think and so I'm quite good at knowing what a child needs before they need it.....lol

I have 20yrs experience of working with children as a Nanny, Mum and a minder and experience of children from an age of 10 when my Mum had my brother. I used to love helping out, then when I was 13yrs old I had another brother. This is what led me to wanting to work with children. I know if childminding runs dry I can get a job in a nursery and hopefully with my knowledge of EYFS, I could possibly get a higher role than a nursery nurse but as I love the concept of minding and know it's better for a child I'm not sure I would want to work in a nursery.

My level 3, I suppose puts me on a good level to continue onto a level 4 but at the moment I wouldn't have the time. I could go on to further my knowledge although after 20yrs I'm not sure what else I can learn. Keeping up to date helps me keep my knowledge fresh. It did enable my to offer funding but that has now all changed.

As a childminder I'm full to bursting at the moment but I'm not sure if this is to do with my qualifications or just because I get recommended a lot as I'm good at what I do? I don't feel I do a better job than someone without a level 3 sometimes experience counts for more than a qualification.
    Time Out.. The perfect time for thinking about what you're going to destroy next.

15. Likes loocyloo liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by JCrakers View Post
    I'm not sure what my level 3 gives me...its not more pay that's for sure. I learnt a lot from my 2yrs at college and a lot about how children think and so I'm quite good at knowing what a child needs before they need it.....lol

I have 20yrs experience of working with children as a Nanny, Mum and a minder and experience of children from an age of 10 when my Mum had my brother. I used to love helping out, then when I was 13yrs old I had another brother. This is what led me to wanting to work with children. I know if childminding runs dry I can get a job in a nursery and hopefully with my knowledge of EYFS, I could possibly get a higher role than a nursery nurse but as I love the concept of minding and know it's better for a child I'm not sure I would want to work in a nursery.

My level 3, I suppose puts me on a good level to continue onto a level 4 but at the moment I wouldn't have the time. I could go on to further my knowledge although after 20yrs I'm not sure what else I can learn. Keeping up to date helps me keep my knowledge fresh. It did enable my to offer funding but that has now all changed.

As a childminder I'm full to bursting at the moment but I'm not sure if this is to do with my qualifications or just because I get recommended a lot as I'm good at what I do? I don't feel I do a better job than someone without a level 3 sometimes experience counts for more than a qualification.
    My personal feelings is that we confuse qualifications with doing our job better
    That is not where I am coming from as I know there are many cms without a level 3 who are excellent because of their experience, common sense and knowledge acquired through practice

We know the DfE wants unqualified teachers...many object. Could we have Head Teachers without qualifications? I don't think so
    We have EYPS who lead practice and who have improved outcomes for children

I also feel it is to do with aspiration for those who wish to get to EYPS or anywhere else because a FDegree in childcare can open doors to other degrees totally removed from childcare....and never saying there is nothing more to learn...there will always be something new as knowledge is never ending

Tinkerbell1979 asked which doors could the level 3 open...each one of us will have a different answer ...for me it has opened many doors...I wonder what Tinkerbell feels it will open for her?
    Last edited by Simona; 17-01-2014 at 03:40 PM.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry . By having a level 3 like the CCLD or the diploma it should be portable so that you could apply for a job working as a Teaching Assistant, in a nursery, youth worker etc. Anything to do with children and young people.

You could also choose to further the qualification and do a foundation degree in childhood studies or similar.

When I moved and couldn't start childminding due to planning restrictions I was able to get a job as a playworker with my level 3 which I did until I was re-registered (England-Wales move) and full again

Post Thanks / Like

My level 3 was phenomenal, I did it pre-CM and was using it as an assistant manager at an outstanding nursery. I then went on to do my degree with the level 3 (it was a BTEC level 3)

I would thoroughly recommend it! If not for now, but the future. It was so in depth, it offered me a wealth of knowledge and I often refer back to texts and whilst at uni, I even recycled some work!

June 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies.

I started level 3 yesterday, tbh I'm doing it because:

1. I have been minding just over a year and finally feel I have found the job I was born to do.

2. It is funded by my LA and its the last of the funding so I feel it's an opportunity not to be missed.

3. I feel it will help me in my cm practice.

The reason I asked what doors it will open in the future is because yes I am LOVING this job but my children are young (8, 6 & 3), will I still want to do this when they are older? I don't know! What I do know is I would still want a job with children so just wondered what other jobs it could help me apply for later in life.

Thank you all again for your replies.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies.

I started level 3 yesterday, tbh I'm doing it because:

1. I have been minding just over a year and finally feel I have found the job I was born to do.

2. It is funded by my LA and its the last of the funding so I feel it's an opportunity not to be missed.

3. I feel it will help me in my cm practice.

The reason I asked what doors it will open in the future is because yes I am LOVING this job but my children are young (8, 6 & 3), will I still want to do this when they are older? I don't know! What I do know is I would still want a job with children so just wondered what other jobs it could help me apply for later in life.

Thank you all again for your replies.
    What la are you?

Ja-Lula-Bell*****minding

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The sky is the limit with future jobs! For some childminders a level 3 opens up doors to further qualifications and degree levels. Some of the jobs could be:
    family support worker
    Community health visitor assistant
    Portage worker
    LA advisor
    Teacher
    Early years inspector
    Area SENCO for LA
    Assessor

Remain in childminding and do other things too

22. Likes N/A liked this post
    Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    The sky is the limit with future jobs! For some childminders a level 3 opens up doors to further qualifications and degree levels. Some of the jobs could be:
    family support worker
    Community health visitor assistant
    Portage worker
    LA advisor
    Teacher
    Early years inspector
    Area SENCO for LA
    Assessor

Remain in childminding and do other things too
    I agree completely. I would say undertaking my Level 3 has set me on a different path in life. I am now coming to the end of a BA(Hons) and although I am not yet at the stage where I am ready to move on from childminding there is a chance I will in the future. My practice has changed immensely and I now have a thirst for knowledge to understand the complexities of child development to improve the outcomes for the children I care for. Without my Level 3 I would be unable to provide funded places for the local authority and my parents really do appreciate the qualifications I have.

Each to their own I guess but it can be a very positive experience

24. Likes N/A, kaz26 liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast