Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 3rd year top up to BA

I am looking to top up my level 5 to the degree. Ideally by distance learning so I don't have to find childcare for my own children. The OU don't accept the 240 credits I already have so I'm looking at other distance learning. Is anyone doing one and if so through whom and what do you think? Otherwise I may look at doing it at a college- they just are all about an hour away so although they may start at 4ish I'd still have to leave before collecting mine from school and will then need childcare for mine and rearrange my mindees. I've put it off too long and really want to get going. I got my level 5 back in 2002!

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just a thought! Is your level 5 a sector endorsed foundation degree?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    This is what I found too- does say to physically be there for interview and first couple of days induction - I live in the south east but still could be doable- just wondering if anyone else can recommend this sort of course?

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Smiley View Post
    Just a thought! Is your level 5 a sector endorsed foundation degree?
    Erm... I have no idea? When I started minding I contacted the workforce development council (or whatever it's called) and they said its level 5. On my certificate it says 240 credits. Does that mean it is?

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No idea without seeing it, does it say foundation degree? Who is it accredited by!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

No it's an HND which I was told was equivalent to foundation degree (the first 2 years of a degree). If I had continued straight on it would have been full degree in just 1 more year. Wish I had now but I needed to earn so couldn't at the time. I did it through university of Greenwich.

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I need to make a few phone calls tomorrow. Oh dear I do hope I don't have to start again!

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

HND is a level 5 and as you say usually just needs the top up to BA that's certainly been the case for the link I gave previously. I've always found the OU really helpful and they certainly did credit transfers from other establishments

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

The OU website states 2 things which mean I can't include my credits- "You cannot count credit for study you have already completed elsewhere towards this qualification." And "awarded within the last five years". Unfortunately I completed it elsewhere and out of the 5 year time scale. :-(

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

My local University offer the BA top up so they may be worth having a look at. I did the FD there too so not completely sure about your previous qualification but we have had many new students join for the top up. I am just at the very end of my Hons and would thoroughly recommend. There is no requirement to attend and interviews can be done on the phone or by skype. All study is done through a virtual learning environment.

Glynd?r University - About the courses

Don't be put of that it is Wales as I would say most of the students in my year are from England

hth

amanda x

12. Likes samb liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you - I have emailed a few who appear to offer this style of learning - I have only found 2 and now this one in Wales thankyou Manjay. I wonder why they are harder to find. There must be more! Anyway, a few seem to ask for specifics about the HND modules but I meet the criteria anyway, only seems to be OU that give a time limit so fingers crossed!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    Thank you - I have emailed a few who appear to offer this style of learning - I have only found 2 and now this one in Wales thankyou Manjay. I wonder why they are harder to find. There must be more! Anyway, a few seem to ask for specifics about the HND modules but I meet the criteria anyway, only seems to be OU that give a time limit so fingers crossed!
    I know ours is fairly new. This years students are only the second intake so it must be a growing area. I had to take a year off whilst the course was being prepared as the only other ones I could find required me to attend lectures. Ours also now offers the opportunity of completing over 1 year whereas I opted to do it over 2. I also like the fact that the course leader used to be a coordinator for childminders so they have a really good idea of how we work.

Hope you find something that suits.

15. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by manjay View Post
    I know ours is fairly new. This years students are only the second intake so it must be a growing area. I had to take a year off whilst the course was being prepared as the only other ones I could find required me to attend lectures. Ours also now offers the opportunity of completing over 1 year whereas I opted to do it over 2. I also like the fact that the course leader used to be a coordinator for childminders so they have a really good idea of how we work. Hope you find something that suits.
    I have emailed them and asked if the course is considered to be full and relevant according to the eyfs and they don't know- it's not on the department for education website. They are going to look into it for me and send me some more information. I've already had a couple of universities near me say they will not accept my HND as credits as it is over 5 years old so I am really hoping I can find something suitable. The more I look the more keen I am!

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by samb View Post
    I have emailed them and asked if the course is considered to be full and relevant according to the eyfs and they don't know- it's not on the department for education website. They are going to look into it for me and send me some more information. I've already had a couple of universities near me say they will not accept my HND as credits as it is over 5 years old so I am really hoping I can find something suitable. The more I look the more keen I am!
    Hope it all works out for you

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh dear not looking good- they only usually accept courses under 5 years old- most are coming back saying this to me. So disappointing as it means doing the foundation degree which I wouldn't get funding for as it the same level as what I already have. I can't afford to do that. I've looked at the eyts and can't do that even though I've got a friend who has only been a childminder for 2 years and has no childcare qualifications but she can do it as she did a completely unrelated degree 20 years ago! Aaaagh! I'm not giving up yet so if anyone has any ideas then do pass them on!

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok I have emailed every university I could get to that run the BA and every distance learning style establishment too asking if they would consider me. Most are saying no. Although some are saying if I can prove myself they might. So help! Here's what I think I can show to prove myself...
    - ofsted report
    -CPD file with evidence if workshops and an evaluation of my practise
    - LEA improvement award scheme - currently doing now
    - my LEA officer will write me a letter

What else can I do/ show? Does anyone know if there are assignments online I can find that I could have a go at doing to show I can work at a high level?

Mar 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I've sent you a private message with contact details

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you :-)

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi
    I was in the same position as you a few years ago and I was able to 'prove' my level of education by completing what the university called bridging units which were then marked and approved before I started the BA.
    Hope you get this sorted soon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast