Just a thought about CYPW credits
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Just a thought about CYPW credits

I don't understand why our Childminding course, which lasted for 3 months, only counted as 4 credits (4 hours learning) in the diploma and what about those Safeguarding and Food Hygiene training/certificate we've got? Why can't those be counted as any credits? um...

Aug 12
    Post Thanks / Like

I think 1 credit is meant to be equivilant to 10hours learning/ work, I'm sure that's what it says in the front of my folder, I think the reasons the others do not count as credits is because they weren't following the course syllabus where as I know my cypop5 is one of the course sylabus. You will be able to use your knowledge to help you complete your course or if you did any written work you might be able to submit that to cover some of the criteria.

Aug 201
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I think the safeguarding and Food Hygiene are needed for your business so not count towards your course. I think my tutor said something like that!

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

I spent absolutely ages doing CYPOP5 online, much longer than the suggested hours and for just 4 credits

Apr 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My unit was called ICP in 2010 and the required course by my county council. When I finished I looked into doing level 3 and it was already a redundant qualification so I couldn't use it toward anything!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

CYPOP 5 is only one Unit of the full Diploma and not the biggest one either. In order to gain the Diploma you have to get a min of 65 Credits. Mine took 14 x 6 hour study days, 4 x 3 hour Observations and feed back while I was working with my Assessor so some 96 hours and they recommended a min of five hours a week independent work to complete the Units so approx 250 hours and then we had to work for the Maths and English Edxcel Exams we had to take externally and that was three 2 hour exams.

So a great deal more than an hour a Unit, I wish I think the 10 hours a Unit is much nearer reality.

The First Aid is not part of CYPOP because it has to be completed by every cm and has to be done every three years.

Food Hygiene is not a in every area, we do not have to do it in my area.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

oh no… 1 unit is actually 10 hours work… i think i underestimate it!!!
    n i m only doing part time childminding so… a bit worry now… will talk to my assessor tomorrow to see..
    thanks for answering! at least i understand more now!

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TY628 View Post
    oh no… 1 unit is actually 10 hours work… i think i underestimate it!!!
    n i m only doing part time childminding so… a bit worry now… will talk to my assessor tomorrow to see..
    thanks for answering! at least i understand more now!
    I think as a new childminder it may take you rather longer than 10 hours to complete CYPOP 5. You will have to write all your procedures etc after deciding what they are and you will have research to do for it. I am a very experienced working childminder and it took me 8 hours solid work to complete the CYPOP Unit and I had all my Policies etc written. I had a lot of the information I needed at my fingertips.