EYE Level 3 Diploma goes live in Sept 2014
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Simona Guest

Default EYE Level 3 Diploma goes live in Sept 2014

The new Diploma in Education and Childcare...the so called Early Years Educator (EYE) starts in Sept 2014
    Your thoughts??

CACHE Level 3 Diploma in Education and Care (Early Years Educator)

Registered Childminder since
    July 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I will be really interested to see how it is different to the existing level 3 but the thing that sticks out for me is the link to 5 - 7 year olds a bit like the new EYT including a focus on KS1 and 2!

Sam x

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Stapleton83 View Post
    I will be really interested to see how it is different to the existing level 3 but the thing that sticks out for me is the link to 5 - 7 year olds a bit like the new EYT including a focus on KS1 and 2!

Sam x
    I have to admit that I have not looked at this in depth
    I understand it is 'similar' to the NNEB and has a lot of Child development in it...which is a good thing
    I will give it some of my time...my NVQ 3, taken a few years ago, was a very lengthy process and very involved but the present NVQ 3 seems very light on practice...I still refer to my NVQ portfolio and all the assignments I had to write...over 400 pages of evidence and I thoroughly enjoyed it!

may 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I was going to do the diploma in jan/feb, do you think I should wait till September for the new one?

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noreenismail View Post
    I was going to do the diploma in jan/feb, do you think I should wait till September for the new one?
    If it was me having to make the choice...YES.. I would wait until EYE but I would also try to find out more about the content and approach my LA to look into funding

Jan 14
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noreenismail View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Tulip View Post
    I was thinking exactly the same
    The news of the EYE has only just been highlighted in NWorld...I am sure that both LAs and representing associations will soon give us their views.
    Many offer the current Level 3 and I am sure they will look into this one too....lets wait and see what they say
    If I were to embark on a level 3 I would wait for the new one but that would be my choice

Simona Guest

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The suggestion is that you may be able to do additional units to update the current Level 3. However it is still a Level 3 Childcare qualification just like any other and they can not take that away from us.

I did the Level 3 Diploma Children and Young people'e workforce and the greater part of it was Child Development anyway.

Whether to wait until next September well it depends if you have funding now and if that would still be there in a years time? If it wasn't then I would personally carry on and do the current Diploma.

The new Level 3 is just Trusses way of leaving her imprint so she can say she did something and unfortunately nowadays each Government seem to think in order to prove they have done something with regard to education they have to change the name of all the qualifications all the time and it is rubbish.

Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    The suggestion is that you may be able to do additional units to update the current Level 3. However it is still a Level 3 Childcare qualification just like any other and they can not take that away from us.

I did the Level 3 Diploma Children and Young people'e workforce and the greater part of it was Child Development anyway.

Whether to wait until next September well it depends if you have funding now and if that would still be there in a years time? If it wasn't then I would personally carry on and do the current Diploma.

The new Level 3 is just Trusses way of leaving her imprint so she can say she did something and unfortunately nowadays each Government seem to think in order to prove they have done something with regard to education they have to change the name of all the qualifications all the time and it is rubbish.
    You are right...if we have already a Level 3 that cannot be taken away from us

All I am doing is sharing the info for the new EYE and hope cms who are interested will look into it more if they are interested and make an informed choice
    I am sure there will be more news soon....our associations will probably have more details soon.

I have been told that it lasts 2 years and applicants must have Maths and English at grade C GCSE.
    I have not looked into this properly ...any improvement in qualifications is to be seen as good in my view.
    What I like about EYE is the emphasis on child development and that cannot be but good.

Lets see what other cms feel about it.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes when I did the current 'new' Diploma it was a requirement to do Maths and English and when I was half way through any new people joining the course also had to do an IT qualification.

The current level three has a very high Child Development Content anyway.

I can't see how the qualification can 'Expire' within 2 years we were not told that and frankly if I had been I wouldn't have done it. There is nothing in the content that would have such and expiatory date to be honest and it is not like First Aid or Child Protection that does sometimes change and if you are not completely up to date could have life threatening consequences. In my view we should all do annual updates for both these qualifications anyway.

Maybe with the Level 3 Diplomas a better view would be the ability of people with this qualification to be able to take an update Unit when needed if the content were to change or be added to substantially? Rather than having to potentially if what you imply is correct, to have to take the complete qualification every two years which would be financially crazy and time wise not possible for most people including Nursery staff. No professional qualification can in a practical sense run out in as little as two years!

To be honest if you have not looked into the ramifications fully and do not understand then why post until you have and can share the full information? Surely all it serves to do is worry unnecessarily?

Simona Guest

Yes when I did the current 'new' Diploma it was a requirement to do Maths and English and when I was half way through any new people joining the course also had to do an IT qualification.

The current level three has a very high Child Development Content anyway.

I can't see how the qualification can 'Expire' within 2 years we were not told that and frankly if I had been I wouldn't have done it. There is nothing in the content that would have such and expiatory date to be honest and it is not like First Aid or Child Protection that does sometimes change and if you are not completely up to date could have life threatening consequences. In my view we should all do annual updates for both these qualifications anyway.

Maybe with the Level 3 Diplomas a better view would be the ability of people with this qualification to be able to take an update Unit when needed if the content were to change or be added to substantially? Rather than having to potentially if what you imply is correct, to have to take the complete qualification every two years which would be financially crazy and time wise not possible for most people including Nursery staff. No professional qualification can in a practical sense run out in as little as two years!

To be honest if you have not looked into the ramifications fully and do not understand then why post until you have and can share the full information? Surely all it serves to do is worry unnecessarily?
    I have said I have not looked into and that is because I do not need to do a Level 3...all I am doing is sharing information and I cannot see how that can confuse anyone or cause worry...I am not implying anything either than signpost cms to the link by the DfE
    This has only just come out

Let those cms who want to do a level 3 find out more and then they can share what they feel about it...whatever their choice it will be respected.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

It does seem very much like the nneb and very thourough, interesting that under the units including frameworks the eyfs is not referred to.
    It will take two years to complete - Definetly a copy of the nneb,with minimum hours working with various ages of children so for those working purely in a 3-5pre school they are going to need to be released to a placement with younger children interesting.....
    Last edited by blue bear; 01-12-2013 at 09:12 PM.

14. Likes N/A liked this post
    Simona Guest

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    It does seem very much like the nneb and very thourough, interesting that under the units including frameworks the eyfs is not referred to.
    It will take two years to complete - Definetly a copy of the nneb,with minimum hours working with various ages of children so for those working purely in a 3-5pre school they are going to need to be released to a placement with younger children interesting.....
    Yes... that is my understanding too from the consultation on EYE and the content which we had to comment on
    I have also been told this qualifications will be part of the 'agency consultation' which is due out very soon
    We will know more then

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    I suspect the EYFS has not been mentioned because it will disappear. That is what has been inferred by Ofsted at any rate.

The current Diploma takes up t0 18 months to complete depending on how you study and requires a min number of hours per week working with children though it does not specify the age groups. You have to be observed several times in your work place by your assessor. You do study 0 to 19yr within the current Diploma which the new qualification will I believe require.

Simona it is the way you imply that current qualifications will expire and so imply they will no longer be able to be used to get a job. They may not be the most up to date qualification, qualifications to evolve but just because you took a Chemistry Degree 20 years ago does not make it any less valid than one take last year does it?

The thought that a Diploma that you could have paid upward of £1000 and 18 months of work to complete could become irrelevant is a scary thing to imply and I don't see the need to even mention it if you can't say for sure if it is going to be the case.

Simona Guest

I suspect the EYFS has not been mentioned because it will disappear. That is what has been inferred by Ofsted at any rate.

The current Diploma takes up t0 18 months to complete depending on how you study and requires a min number of hours per week working with children though it does not specify the age groups. You have to be observed several times in your work place by your assessor. You do study 0 to 19yr within the current Diploma which the new qualification will I believe require.

Simona it is the way you imply that current qualifications will expire and so imply they will no longer be able to be used to get a job. They may not be the most up to date qualification, qualifications to evolve but just because you took a Chemistry Degree 20 years ago does not make it any less valid than one take last year does it?

The thought that a Diploma that you could have paid upward of £1000 and 18 months of work to complete could become irrelevant is a scary thing to imply and I don't see the need to even mention it if you can't say for sure if it is going to be the case.
    I am sorry Rickysmiths but I have implied nothing of the sort at any time...I have an NVQ achieved a few years ago and I know that stands

How you get to interpret it that way is beyond me!

Simona Guest

More information on the EYE Level 3

https://www.education.gov.uk/wqat/login.aspx#!

and an article in NWorld reporting that EYE has now been approved by Ofqual

First CACHE Early Years Educator qualification approved | Nursery World
    Last edited by Simona; 02-12-2013 at 02:54 PM.