Been offered free Level 3 course but not sure if it's right one
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Been offered free Level 3 course but not sure if it's right one

A training company contacted me saying they were offering local childminders free level 2 and Diploma NVQ level 3 Childrens and Young People's Workforce, via a government funded scheme as long as you enrol before 31st March this year. I asked them to send me the syllabus, which looks right. What is bothering me is that if it is free by a government funded scheme, why have the development workers or training people at the local council not referred us to this, why don't they know about it? Is it for real? Any one know anything about this? I'm always suspicious of anything that says it's "Free"!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD! Hurrah
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by suzyjane73 View Post
    A training company contacted me saying they were offering local childminders free level 2 and Diploma NVQ level 3 Childrens and Young People's Workforce, via a government funded scheme as long as you enrol before 31st March this year. I asked them to send me the syllabus, which looks right. What is bothering me is that if it is free by a government funded scheme, why have the development workers or training people at the local council not referred us to this, why don't they know about it? Is it for real? Any one know anything about this? I'm always suspicious of anything that says it's "Free"!
    If it is genuine and is free then go for it. I've been told by my LA that there is no more funding for this tax year and to ask again in April (even then they don't know if they will have any). Even with funding we have to pay £250.

oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Might be worth googling the company to see if it's a scam. I have heard of people getting the course fully funded, if it's right go for it.

Mar 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm looking at doing the NCMA e-learning level 3, has anyone else looked at doing this one?

July 11
    Post Thanks / Like

I would go for it, I'm desperate to do my level 3 but can't get any funding

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Just did mine through Parenta - they phoned and offered free funding initially - it was funded but just had to pay £60, £10 per month and buy a text book.....quite a lot of work but I just got on with it and did it well within the 6 months allotted time...

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

can you let me know the company am desperate to do mine but serious lack of funds at mo - did level 2 fully funded with parenta but they said they had no funding for level 3 in my area
    I love my friends who live inside my laptop xx

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies, I have googled the company and it is an international training/business solutions company so I think I might go for it. They are called GP Strategies if you want to google them. My understanding was that it was just free for certain areas, but worth a try.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I'm looking at doing the NCMA e-learning level 3, has anyone else looked at doing this one?
    Taz are you referring to the one unit of the Level 3 diploma which All new childminders now have to complete before they can register with Ofsted ( or they can attend a local authority run course) this costs £190 through the NCMA

Or are you referring to the full Level 3? i think the original poster is referring to the full Level 3 diploma which NCMA offers as well however there is a cost of at least £1000.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieSausage View Post
    Just did mine through Parenta - they phoned and offered free funding initially - it was funded but just had to pay £60, £10 per month and buy a text book.....quite a lot of work but I just got on with it and did it well within the 6 months allotted time...
    Hi is the Parenta course recognizable? As i have been told some are not accepted as a qualification think it was by Ofsted . I looked at these ages ago and forgot about them so will look again xx

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a lair somewhere of fully recognised level three qualifications in childcare (try googling) there have been courses sold in the past that are not on that list, usually these are course which are fully done at home without an assessor coming to the house, you are wise to be cautious you don't want to be wasting your time.

Google cdwc full and relevant qualifications it will take you to a page where you input the awarding body and qualification and it will tell yu if it's a recognised qualification.
    Last edited by blue bear; 27-01-2013 at 08:16 AM.

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by blue bear View Post
    There is a lair somewhere of fully recognised level three qualifications in childcare (try googling) there have been courses sold in the past that are not on that list, usually these are course which are fully done at home without an assessor coming to the house, you are wise to be cautious you don't want to be wasting your time.

Google cdwc full and relevant qualifications it will take you to a page where you input the awarding body and qualification and it will tell yu if it's a recognised qualification.

For anybody who wants to check here are the details in this nursery world article

Confusion rife over Level 3 distance learning childcare courses | Nursery World

13. Likes sarah707 liked this post
    June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    For anybody who wants to check here are the details in this nursery world article

Confusion rife over Level 3 distance learning childcare courses | Nursery World
    Right I am seriously hoping the course is not as hard as it is proving to be trying to find one tht fits into my work/life commitments

I have clicked on this link and looked into it (very confusing for me anyway.) And I have found this listed. Does this mean if I find someone who offers this course title that it will be accepted as a qualification for my childminding needs?

The Register of Regulated Qualifications - View Qualification : CACHE Level 3 Diploma for The Children and Young People's Workforce (QCF)

I am slowly losing the will with this totally stuck in a rutt as tied to not being able to go out and funding !!!! Thanks for any help.

Oh this is the course title that most of my childminding friends who are able to qualify for free funding have got too .

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by It's a small world View Post
    Right I am seriously hoping the course is not as hard as it is proving to be trying to find one tht fits into my work/life commitments

I have clicked on this link and looked into it (very confusing for me anyway.) And I have found this listed. Does this mean if I find someone who offers this course title that it will be accepted as a qualification for my childminding needs?

The Register of Regulated Qualifications - View Qualification : CACHE Level 3 Diploma for The Children and Young People's Workforce (QCF)

I am slowly losing the will with this totally stuck in a rutt as tied to not being able to go out and funding !!!! Thanks for any help.

Oh this is the course title that most of my childminding friends who are able to qualify for free funding have got too .

I have just looked at the Parenta website and their courses are awarded through CACHE or EDI who are approved awarding bodies.

You are correct in that your course needs to be called Level 3 Diploma for the .children and young peoples workforce, see the below link
    https://www.education.gov.uk/eypqd/level-3

if you go with another provider you need to ask them who their awarding body is.

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentTink View Post
    I have just looked at the Parenta website and their courses are awarded through CACHE or EDI who are approved awarding bodies.

You are correct in that your course needs to be called Level 3 Diploma for the .children and young peoples workforce, see the below link
    https://www.education.gov.uk/eypqd/level-3

if you go with another provider you need to ask them who their awarding body is.

Thank you AgentTink. So Parenta is ok. Will look into them and if not suitable at least I know if I can find this course title I should be ok .
    Thanks again... xxxx

June 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Parenta just quoted me £1800 over 6 months :-(

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I spoke to parenta earlier and they are only doing funding for apprenticeships he said phone back in April as they will be offering student loans which u only pay back if earn 20k plus a year so in effect I would never pay it back if I stay as a cm x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm confused now, the course is called Diploma NVQ Level 3 in Children and Young Peoples Workforce and it also says Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship on the sheet. No awarding body listed. There are 65 Credits and an assessor comes to your house. Sounds like it might be a relevant qualification. I might check with the training people at the council.

May 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by suzyjane73 View Post
    I'm confused now, the course is called Diploma NVQ Level 3 in Children and Young Peoples Workforce and it also says Level 3 Advanced Apprenticeship on the sheet. No awarding body listed. There are 65 Credits and an assessor comes to your house. Sounds like it might be a relevant qualification. I might check with the training people at the council.
    thats what i was looking at but you have to be in an apprenticeship and employed in a childcare setting for 16 hours a week to get the funding. Childminding assistants qualify but not childminders i got an email explaining it from parenta i can forward it you if that helps? I did my level 2 with parenta a couple of years ago and that was fully funded as a childminder and yes it was credits and an assessor used to come to my house so no college xx