Clueless bloke
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Clueless bloke

Post Thanks / Like

Default Clueless bloke

Hi

Hope someone can help. For as long as I can remember my girlfriend has wanted to be a childminder. Shes been a dental nurse for the last 10 years and shes had enough, but because of the usual stuff; kids, work, money, stress!! She doesnt think she'll be able to do it. So im trying to push her into it but remove all the stress of actually getting started. Also I thought it would be a nice surprise If I could just spring it on her.

So Ive sent off for a pack from my local council as per advise on here.

Now before she can register I undertstand she would need to do a pre-reg course and a first aid course?.......the next part is where im lost. I know she needs to do the CYPOP5 course but can she register before doing the cypop5 or is this needed before she can offically childmind?

And what is the level 3 diploma? Is this something she would need to do before she can start earning or is this something she could work towards while earning?

Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but ive looked around and cant seem to get a definative answer.

Many thanks

Rob

2. Likes Maza liked this post
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

awh thats nice and supportive of you !!

I'
    m no help to be honest as i registered four years ago and it also depends what area you are in. In our area we call local council who then puts us in touch with whoever we need to.

tell her to pop on here for a chat with other childminders, she may find someone local too met up with her,
    ither way wish her luck xx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The requirements state that you must do a course AND your first aid before Ofsted visit to check your house and suitability.

This will, Ofsted hope, cut down on the amount of people who call them out and then change their minds during their course etc...

Your local authority are the best people to advise you because they will be able to tell you when they are running local courses.

I think she is very lucky to have someone supportive like you to help her!

5. Likes The Juggler liked this post
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Phone or contact you local Family Information Service at the council and see what she needs to do. Unlikely she will need to do a level 3 diploma so forget about that.....

She will probably need to attend a briefing session run by council, then a course which has changed since I registered but I think its the CYPOP5, she will need to do a paediatric first aid course - one that is approved by local council, register with Ofsted and have CRB checks done adn a health check....

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont worry about the Level 3 Diploma at this stage. You need to be childminding for at least 6 months and to be honest, she will want to get herself up and running before taking it on. It takes about 12 - 15 months and some grants are available. Put that bit to one side for now.

Cant help with the rest either though sorry!

It is hard work at times being a childminder but is a very rewarding job.

Good luck.

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Contact your LA again and ask about their pre-reg briefing sessions. Some will simply refuse to support an application if your GF doesn't attend such a session in the first instance. These sessions will tell her the whole process, so she can see the big picture and know exactly what is required to register. There'll be other things like registering as a food business, data handler, etc. and the briefings should go through all this and help her get it sorted without too much difficulty.

As Sarah says, she does need to have completed CYPOP5 and an LA-approved paediatric first aid course before registration. You used to be able to do the course within 6 months after registration, but that has now changed with the new regulations (September 2012) so be aware that you might be misadvised by some departments; I know at least 1 enquirer who was recently given out of date information on this by their LA. I can't say much about the CYPOP5 course content tbh. The qualification requirements have changed at least twice in 2 years in my area. You'd be better hearing from someone who has recently registered under the CYPOP5 qualification. I undertstand the course is offered by various colleges and training providers; NCMA offer an online version. Again, check with your LA for advice/recommendations.

As already mentioned, no need to worry about the level 3 diploma until registered. And IMHO avoid it like the plague unless you absolutely have to or you're a masochist with time to kill.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice one!! Thanks everyone.

So basically, pre reg everything is run from a local level?

So is the CYPOP5 run by someone else? or is it all council? .... Ive seen courses on line but im not sure if just anyone can enrol.

Sorry I'm sure this will all be explained when i receive the info.

Many thanks!!

Nov 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

AFAIK in most instances the council doesn't necessarily run the CYPOP5 directly (though one of its colleges might) but they should be able to signpost you to a local college or training centre that does. Online versions are also available.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChildcareCate View Post
    Dont worry about the Level 3 Diploma at this stage. You need to be childminding for at least 6 months and to be honest, she will want to get herself up and running before taking it on. It takes about 12 - 15 months and some grants are available. Put that bit to one side for now.

Cant help with the rest either though sorry!

It is hard work at times being a childminder but is a very rewarding job.

Good luck.
    Unfortunately the requirements have changed and ALL registering childminders must have completed the pre-registration course before Ofsted visit them.

There used to be a 6 month window but it has now been removed - it is a pre-registration requirement.

You can clarify this in the EYFS - requirement 3.23 -

3.23 Childminders must have completed a local authority approved training course which helps them understand and implement the EYFS before they can register with Ofsted.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publica...DFE-00023-2012

I hope this helps

Post Thanks / Like

So basically we go to the council and ask to attend the pre-reg course and the first aid.

Once completed the council then check out our home for suitability. Once suitability is established she does the cypop5 course.

Once completed she can then actually take on children? Is that right? Or does the cypop5 have to be completed before the council will inspect?

jan 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post
    Unfortunately the requirements have changed and ALL registering childminders must have completed the pre-registration course before Ofsted visit them.

There used to be a 6 month window but it has now been removed - it is a pre-registration requirement.

You can clarify this in the EYFS - requirement 3.23 -

3.23 Childminders must have completed a local authority approved training course which helps them understand and implement the EYFS before they can register with Ofsted.

https://www.education.gov.uk/publica...DFE-00023-2012

I hope this helps
    But it was not the pre-reg course CYPOP5 she was refering to, if I understand well, but to the whole Level 3 diploma. You do have to do the pre-reg course - CYPOP5 - before registration, but you do not have to do the Level 3 diploma.
    In fact you never have to do the L3 Dip if you do not choose to.
    Yet you might want to do it, but in any case you have to have 6 months experience in childcare before they accept to enroll you on the course.
    Please do say if I'm wrong on this, as I was registered before the changes. But I am now doing my Level 3 diploma, and some childminders who had just begun turned out on the first session only to be told they had to wait at least 6 months to have gained experience.

14. Likes karensmart4 liked this post