Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Foundation Degree? To do it or not?

There is funding in my area for this. I do want to do it but I'm dead scared! It's years since I did any studying and I think my brain has died! Please someone give me a kick up the bum and tell me it's not oo hard and I can do it!!

Aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Boris, I am in the same position as you, I want to do it but am terrified to take the step. I would also have to fund it myself and would feel dreadful if I just could not do it

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i will have come to the end of my foundation degree in Oct and it has been a long hard journey. BUT I have learnt loads, become a more confident person in all areas of my life not just in my practice. My practice has changed immensely, I now understand why we do things and the best ways to do it.

Go for it - not saying it is easy but it is well worth it I think! x

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just completed mine and If I can do it anyone can, i'm 48 years old and work a 55 hour week I would love to go on and do the 3rd year top up, but unfortunately I had to fund the 2nd year and just can't afford another year. If you have the chance, take it

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh I'm still scared! I am working 55 hours a week too and have 3 children of my own, all still needy! I just don't know if I can put the hours in. I am so tired every night I'm in bed by 9pm, how lame is that? On the upside, hubby is very supportive and I know he would pull his weight if I needed to study. Do you have to attend classes or is it distance learning?

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Oh I'm still scared! I am working 55 hours a week too and have 3 children of my own, all still needy! I just don't know if I can put the hours in. I am so tired every night I'm in bed by 9pm, how lame is that? On the upside, hubby is very supportive and I know he would pull his weight if I needed to study. Do you have to attend classes or is it distance learning?
    I attended uni 6 hours a week but you could do it through the OU in your own time

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

That's not too bad, I guess that's 2 evenings? I reckon I could do that. I think I'll ring up in the morning before I talk myself out of it again!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

it takes up a LOT of your family life so just consider the ages of your children. You give up a lot of family time. On the positive side, apart from attending uni (once per week and 1 Sat/month) I did no studiing in the week - but hubby took the kids out sat and sunday and I did 2 x 8-10 hour stints most weekends.

It's doable (my kids were 5 and 7 when I started). good luck xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    it takes up a LOT of your family life so just consider the ages of your children. You give up a lot of family time. On the positive side, apart from attending uni (once per week and 1 Sat/month) I did no studiing in the week - but hubby took the kids out sat and sunday and I did 2 x 8-10 hour stints most weekends.

It's doable (my kids were 5 and 7 when I started). good luck xx
    Oh Juggler that is a LOT! My children are 2, 8 & 9. Think I'll have to have a good chat with hubby and maybe think about stopping the late schoolies.... HMMMMMMMM!

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to jump on this thread, but in the opinion of the people on here who have just done a degree...

My kids are currently 3 (4 in Nov) and 6 (7 in Dec) I work 54 hours a week and my kids are in bed by 7pm on the dot, every night. DH and I both agree that Mon-Thur is work nights so we are both on the computers until 9/10pm on them nights either working or tinkering about.

Do you think doing a degree and using that time (12 hours a week) would be doable? Also DH has said I can use a Fri if I had to lol

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boris View Post
    Oh Juggler that is a LOT! My children are 2, 8 & 9. Think I'll have to have a good chat with hubby and maybe think about stopping the late schoolies.... HMMMMMMMM!
    you could get away with half of that time and pass honey - lots on my course did - but I never went to uni after school and really wanted to go for it - I got a first so it paid off but I reckon if you did about 10 hours a week you'd be fine
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sdean View Post
    i will have come to the end of my foundation degree in Oct and it has been a long hard journey. BUT I have learnt loads, become a more confident person in all areas of my life not just in my practice. My practice has changed immensely, I now understand why we do things and the best ways to do it.

Go for it - not saying it is easy but it is well worth it I think! x
    ditto!

I finished my FD last June and after a year off I am starting year 3 in 2 weeks time. It is hard work but so worth it in my opinion. I started with blended learning - so a mixture of classroom and distance learning but by the end of the course I was doing it all by distance learning. OU wasn't for me but there are other Uni's out there that do distance learning so I would definitely shop around

April04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I am doing mine through the OU and have just got all my books through for the first module E100!! I spent months pondering over whether to do it or not but decided at 38 that it was now or never!!! I have a part-time tuition fee loan fron student finance to pay for it.

My kids are 9, 12 and 14 and I work 55 hours a week, although planning to drop to a 4 day week to give myself time to study

I say give it a go! Will you regret it later if you don't?

Registration closes soon for October '12 start so give them a call soon or you'll have to wait untill next year

Let us know what you decide

Lisa

April04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I should also mention that I am bricking it now I haven't studied for years!!!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've just had my confirmation I start my Early Years Foundation Degree in 3 weeks

I really was like all of you pondering if I should or shouldn't and I thought its now or never I'm 36 and with all the deregulation talk I need a fall back plan.

Hope to be able to speak to you all soon!

Sarah

April04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi Sarah, if you're on Facebook there is a group set up on there, only 34 of us at the moment!

Mar 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
    Hi Sarah, if you're on Facebook there is a group set up on there, only 34 of us at the moment!
    I will be back on facebook this week just had a few deletions to make - we're friends Lisa so I will message you when I'm back on so I can join it!!

I'm excited ....... and scared !!

April04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought we were! Great stuff, we can panic together!!

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I work on uni work most eves and when I have an assignment due I do a few afternoon sessions and dad takes the kids out or my mum has them - my kids were 2 & 6 when I started so my youngest doesn't know any different and in some ways I think they have benefited from seeing me study and have learnt over the years that study is part of life and life long learning is important. There are times when I have missed out on days out or bike rides or DVD afternoons, but I think as a result they have a more knowledgeable and confident mum. If you want to do it you will find a way - I have almost given up many times over the last 3/4 years but I didn't and now I am really proud that i have almost completed a foundation degree and in two years I will have a BA (hons) Early Years - I never believed that was possible - now I know it is possible! I would recommend it to anyone IF YOU want to do it - you have to want to do it.

E100 is a fab interesting course - I think that was my favourite course until I did U212 (now 212) - really interesting and as a bonus you get a Level 4 certificate at the end of it.

Good luck - and remember there are plenty of people on here to help!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LisaH View Post
    hey what is the name of that group. can i join . PM me the details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast