Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default dog owners who use retracable leads help please

does anyone use a retractable one for a labrador and if so how do you find it and if its anygood where did you buy it and how much for? charly is 6.5yrs and we reguarly go to the local woods where I know most o f the dog owners and we just let the dogs play but we want to go to other places where I appriciate other dog owners might not want a great black lab bouncing at their little darlings and as charlys recall has only ever been as good as either his mood or the treats I have I dont want to take any chances so thought I could get a retracable lead so he has some freedom and I have some control so I guess Im looking for recomendations really please

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one for my black Lab Charley (girl ) She was a bit of a nutter and would bound over to people covering them in mud if she had the chance. I used the lead a lot - not sure of the make - maybe Flexi? they come in different sizes depending on the size of your dog.

Charley passed away years ago and we now have a terrier. I have one for her too but much smaller!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate retractable leads Sorry!

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We got ours from Wilkinsons, but a few years ago. It's been a really great lead, very strong. We have a Golden Retreiver so a bit like a labrador, lol!

The lead itself is just over a centimetre thick all the way along which I think helps. I would definitely recommend it, if they still sell them.
    Love Shivvie

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I hate retractable leads Sorry!
    may I ask why? looking for all good and bad points,,
    we used to have one when he was a pup to train his recall but when he got bigger he would run to the end of the lead then nearly yank my shoulder out when he hit the end! nowadays he is a lot slower and we use a harness on him which means he dosent pull at all so he shouldnt do this again

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi again,

I've just looked on the Wilkinsons website and they do still sell it. It is £16.59.

Love Shivvie

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a lab but my mongrel is about the same size and strength as your average lab he is going on 13 years now and of he sees something he like he will run to the end of the lead and it does yank your shoulder. I have found over the years that if you press the stopper button a few times before they get to the end it lessons the sting as they realise they need to stop. I also use one for both my springers (both attached to the same lead) and it works great with them although if I put them on seprate leads all I get is a really big knot but as they like being together they don't mind being joined.
    I have a flexi one and a really cheap non brand one. Yes the flexi one feels heavier and of better quality, but I have only had it 3 years the cheap non brand one has gone through 4 dogs all big and strong. But it depends on the strength of your dog. Most pet shops will ding the right one for you of you ask.

There is also a retractable belt lead on the market which I ment to be great have never bothod to buy as why replace what works. But I have read great reviews and then you can walk hands free.

Bad points are mainly
    Shoulder yanking
    Them running around you and tangling legs
    Knots it two or more dogs
    Weight of lead
    Although minor the noice the lead makes as it goes in and out really really irritates me
    Oh and if you put it away after a wet walk and forget about it it will be green and fluffy the next time you use it.

sept 2006
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i dont like them has i ended up in a and e because of one.
    becks our golden lad was in the boot of the car with the lead on
    i was about 10 yards away from the car when unbeknown to me my dh
    opened the boot and becks got out and ran passed me and the plastic handle hit my left fore arm. i thought my arm was broken. luckly it wasnt but all my forearm was bruised for two weeks.
    that reminds me i need to put it on ebay lol

debra
    Debra x (kyddcare.com)

Oct 06
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm afraid I don't like them either, google retractable dog leads accidents to see why.
    You can get long training leads from Halti and other companies that would do the job. I have one for when I'm camping and it's invaluable
    Last edited by sarahjane; 08-04-2012 at 07:11 AM. Reason: Add in info

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Also you never know how worn the lead is inside and could snap when you least expect it.
    use a long training lead instead.

Post Thanks / Like

We use a long training lead - I dont like retractable leads for reasons above

June 95
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Non childminder member
    childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

For the above reasons also.

Jan 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I realise why people dont like them, My Hubby's pet hate is when people use them whilst walking their dogs near roads and let their dogs wander, but if you have a large boisterious dog Im sure its better to use one whilst around other people and dogs . We have our son's nutty Boxer here whilst he goes on holiday and will not let it off the lead, so I'm using one of these extendable leads to give her a bit of freeedom and to keep her and everyone else safe

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's like everything - used correctly and with care they are fine. Each to their own I have used various sizes for different dogs for over 25 years and never had a problem. We do use a normal lead too sometimes and have plenty of time running free
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a retactable lead and a 10m long taining lead, I use the retractable one when out with my son as he is petrified of the training one after being sent flying after he got in the way of the lead just when my dog bombed off after another dog that was the 1st time I used the taining lead the 2nd time I got the lead caught on my finger when the dog again went on a chase of another dog and ended up breaking my finger! I have now got used to using the lead and find it great as I can let it go and just trail along the floor but its long enough that I can grab it if I see another dog in the distance. I dont really trust the retractable one wont snap as its no where near as thick as the training lead and my dog trainer was dead set against them due the number of injuries caused by them.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used a training lead in the past but found it cut in to my hands if he ran it out plus I cant seem to reel him in quick enough, and my son has also been sent flying by them several times either that or as its on the floor he gets his feet hooped in it so when charly runs my son goes over
    I guess they all have their faults
    we went over our local woods today and I took his favorite treat, cheese, so of course he was imaculatly behaved and I did laugh when somone else had to chase their dog instead of my for a change
    although he is a lovley gentle dog he is a big black lab and having that run at you when you dont know him I guess would be scary which is why in new places i want him under control a bit, over the woods is fine as most people there know us and know that he will run straight past them, sniff their dog then meander off.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

We had a retractable lead from Wilkinsons for our Golden Retriever. Still got in it fact, will save it for our next dog!

onceinabluemoon Guest

I have a flexi one for my lab, but we don't really use it anymore.

Its got a 1cm thin lead all the way through and is longer than average (cost more too!) I loved it up until the time he kept running and when the lead ran out i went flying and cut my face on the floor. Lots of people asked me why I didn't let go of the lead and to be honest I don't know. I have a smaller one for my spaniel but haven't used it yet, she's too used to running off lead and weaves around your feet.

I used to have a long lead but found it got covered in all sorts of crud and was manky, too manky to want to hold on to! (I also found the dog waved around people at the beach but thats my fault for bad training).

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

yep bad training on my partners half in this case, I used to take charly training and to agility, it was only a fun agility, we all had a good laugh when we fell over or the dogs missed tunnels etc nothing serious but it really helped with his training and recall, he used to be excellant when I walked hiim all the time but the last year my parnter has been taking him out in the mornings oflead before work and I take him out on the lead after my work and my partner just lets hiim go where ever so his recall is now next to nothing, its fine in our local woods as we all know each other but I want to take him elsewhere, he is getting a little better but obviously it will take time again so need somthing for the mean time.
    lol he is now laying on the floor sulking cause the OH is late home and charlys waiting for his fuss time!

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We have a retractable lead but only use it when near water, our mad dog thinks mud and water are great, I unfortunately don't. So it allows him some freedom but not too much.