How to stop my dog barking?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to stop my dog barking?

Any tips on how to stop my dog from barking and waking the kids up! I have tried that spray thing when they bark but no joy. i have tried leaving him in the garden then he wants to come back in again and just stratches at the door!!!? I might look for an childminder! help.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have an anti bark collar which works a treat on my dog. I only put it on her in situations where I know she will bark and when she does, it releases a citrus spray into her face, which she doesn't like. Now when she is wearing the collar she doesn't bark, just on the odd occasion when she forgets!

June86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have the same problem not helped by the fact that postman(who he really dislikes) comes about 1.30 just as children are having a sleep, eventhough the children sleep through it, I think I will try the spray as he is driving me nuts.

June 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I love to know how to stop other people's dogs barking, my neighbour had 3 small dogs that yap all day long. It really spoils our time in the garden and I don't think there is anything I can do. It's that bad we are thinking of moving house as it never stops
    Crazy Crackers

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

There is a way to do it, but believe it or not you have to teach them to bark on command first, then you can teach them to be quiet

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish my dog would bark somtimes just to let people know hes around but he dosent, hes a lab and when he does bark its a really deep scary bark and makes us all jump cause he hardly ever does it

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One of my dogs is a barker. I have tried everything - anti bark collar, saying NO (my vet suggested this ), we even had a trainer in and that didnt work, she just said the dog is extremely intelligent and doesnt want to do as she is told! So I'd like some suggestions if anyone has any, Im on the point of rehoming her is getting me down so much

sept 90
    Post Thanks / Like

Ch1957 have you tried the citrus collar? might work for you.. Dont get me wrong he doesnt bark all the time, it would drive me mad! I suppose I notice it more because the house is quiet( during the day!) kids asleep and then he goes and does it.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by primula View Post
    Ch1957 have you tried the citrus collar? might work for you.. Dont get me wrong he doesnt bark all the time, it would drive me mad! I suppose I notice it more because the house is quiet( during the day!) kids asleep and then he goes and does it.

I have tried that. She barks at everythig! A car going past the house, someone walking past, the boiler firing up, the neighbours, everyone who comes to the house, if she wants to sit on my lap, every time one of the children move!! Its just getting ridiculous. I was told to put her in 'time out' when she barks and then let her out when she stops, but she'll still do it again next time - she just cant help herself!!

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a new neighbour who has 4 big dogs all they do is bark its driving me nuts
    6 months of woofing i want to move now
    I have spoken to her and was told the dogs are her babies
    Im not a dog person so find this hard to grasp
    And my new neighbour who is really nice is a dog trainer

Oct 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH1957 View Post
    I have tried that. She barks at everythig! A car going past the house, someone walking past, the boiler firing up, the neighbours, everyone who comes to the house, if she wants to sit on my lap, every time one of the children move!! Its just getting ridiculous. I was told to put her in 'time out' when she barks and then let her out when she stops, but she'll still do it again next time - she just cant help herself!!
    Have you tried doing a little mental training with her 5 - 10 mins of training will tire her out much quicker than a walk and may give you some peace.
    I also have a lab who likes to let me know what is going on outside. I keep a pot of her food near the window she runs to to bark. I divert her attention and reward her for not barking keeping her attention on me while whatever happens outside happens. This has improved her no end and is a work in process, but she is learning that being quiet gets a reward being noisy doesn't. I'm also adding a 'quiet' command into the mix and that is also beginning to work.
    There is no quick and easy method and training is the only way you are going to solve this.

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarahjane View Post
    Have you tried doing a little mental training with her 5 - 10 mins of training will tire her out much quicker than a walk and may give you some peace.
    I also have a lab who likes to let me know what is going on outside. I keep a pot of her food near the window she runs to to bark. I divert her attention and reward her for not barking keeping her attention on me while whatever happens outside happens. This has improved her no end and is a work in process, but she is learning that being quiet gets a reward being noisy doesn't. I'm also adding a 'quiet' command into the mix and that is also beginning to work.
    There is no quick and easy method and training is the only way you are going to solve this.

As I said, we have had a trainer in and she just gave up, said she'd never come accross such a stubborn but intelligent dog and although our other dog of the same breed got the message very quickly, this one just wont give in! Ive tried treats, Ive done the mental training, used various commands. This has been a work in progress for 18 months now!