Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Going to school in another country, going to live with Dad

My stepdd has lived in France with her English mum and stepdad for 8 years now and comes to stay with us for all holidays. She's now nearly 13 and has recenty been talking about going to school in England. Whilst we're well aware that she may only be feeling this way when she's here she tells us she's broached it with Mum and that Mum was reasonable about it.
    Dh and I are both conscious that if she does transfer then the sooner the wheels are put in motion the better as she's getting closer to vital years in both countries. Does anybody have any experience of moving an older child to a school in the UK, or of swapping around their living arrangements so that they live with the other parent? If so have you got any advice for us as we want to support her but we need to know if it's possible if she really wants it and should mum put her foot down and refuse.
    Also, part of the agreement about her moving out there was that they would keep her health cover up to date, deal with her medical needs. Mum turned around to dh the other day and asked him to cough up £3600 a year for braces as she's let the health cover lapse! (This has nothing to do with stepdd wanting to change schools, she's been talking about that since Christmas)
    Familiarity breeds contempt - and children Mark Twain

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry no experience but if thats what she wants then yes needs to be done fairly quickly, as regards the braces is that the total cost or just her dads half share? he can't be expected to cover the full cost, was anything in writing about mum keeping up health insurance? is it a dental recommendation or purely cosmetic, would she get in on NHS if she was over here?

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks QualityCare for answering. I believe it was written in their court agreement that she was to keep up the health cover, aside from the fact that that she really should. Our dentist wants it done out there because they say it's preferable to get it done where the child lives most for adjustments and maintenance purposes, which her mum agreed was fine 2 years ago. £3600 per year is the total cost, I believe. We're going to take her to our dentist again next time she's over and see if we can get it done here within the times we have her, I have no idea how long the process takes! But it's worrying, they have 3 kids out there and none of them with health cover if anything goes wrong

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Transition from French to English schools, according to my friend who has done it with 3 children, is quite difficult for the children because they have learned more in France and they are so far in front when they get here it's difficult for them to sort out what they know and what they need to know.

Obviously the syllabuses are very different too so they will have read different texts for exam preparation etc as they get older.

If she is going to come over she needs to do it sooner rather than later and to commit to staying at least until end of GCSEs for continuity of education - she can't think she can keep chopping and changing or it will damage her exam chances / university chances etc plus she'll immediately fall behind French studying when she starts in an English school (again according to my friend).

At least once she's here you can get her into an NHS dentist and the braces cost will be much much less!

Hth

January
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

It does, Sarah, thank you x