Thinking of moving to Australia...
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thinking of moving to Australia...

...DH has all his Mum's side of the family living there and he has always wanted to go. He has come home tonight really looking in to it. DH is an IT Technician and Team Leader. I am a childminder (obviously) but have retail management experience.

Can anyone offer any advice whatsoever... things to think about, advice on different Visa's etc...

TIA XXX

Pipsqueak Guest

Spiders - dirty great hairy DANGEROUS spiddies

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow! I lived in Perth, Western Australia from the ages of 5 to 11 so my memories are very child minded. My Dad's an Aussie. It is a beautiful country. You used to be able to go there to live easier if you had a trade so you and hubby will both be ok with that one. I'd be googling everything you want to know hun. What an exciting decision you have to make. Good luck with it all.
    If all else fails......add glitter!

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post

And goanas, we had a huge one living in a palm outside the back door. It never hurt us or caused a prob so we named it Gary!

dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi, I have a couple of friends who have emigrated in the past couple of years over there, they love it. I know it's a very long winded process to get a visa.
    If you have family already over there I'm sure that would help but I think the biggest piece of advice I could give going on what my friends did was go over there on an extended visit, they looked at houses the job market, quality of life etc and it really helped them in making there final decision.
    My dh has been on about moving to new Zealand for many years initially in the new Zealand army as he's a serving British soldier and you get citizenship after I think it's 3 years.
    I wouldn't mind it for a couple of years but I just could not live on the other side of the world, he's still trying to persuade me. X

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nikki thomson View Post
    My dh has been on about moving to new Zealand for many years initially in the new Zealand army as he's a serving British soldier and you get citizenship after I think it's 3 years.
    I wouldn't mind it for a couple of years but I just could not live on the other side of the world, he's still trying to persuade me. X
    Same for me, hubby in army and says Australian army are taking on British soldiers at moment and he wants to think about it - I'm not keen, I don't want to leave my parents, they don't have anyone else.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My Little Brother has lived in Sydney for 12 years. He went all the way there and has met and married a girl from Essex (we are from Kent originally).

He has wanted us to go for years but MIL & FIL would never forgive us if we went.

Childminding is called Family Day Care in Australia and is registered similar to here - They are called Family Day Care Educators. (I did have a little look a couple of years back when he was pestering us to go over and kept sending us visa forms!)
    Last edited by tulip0803; 10-03-2012 at 12:24 AM.

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

I ll help you pack

i would love to live abroad again , my friend has just moved

you only get one life so go for it xxxx
    One life live it

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

You need to see if your hubby's job is on the skills in demand list. there is one for the whole country, but different states also have their own lists, for skills they need, and if you are on that, you can get state sponsorship.

It is very long winded.

We have looked at it and you also have to pass the IELTS test, and this has been hard. There are 4 components, listening, reading, writing and talking.

Go onto the aussie immigration website and sign up for a couple of forums.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tinksplace View Post
    And goanas, we had a huge one living in a palm outside the back door. It never hurt us or caused a prob so we named it Gary!
    Sorry but I read that as Gonads!

I nearly wee'd myself. A gonad named Gary...... Gary the Gonad

Nov 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I would immigrate in a heartbeat if I could (finances don't allow & my hubbies job is UK specific)
    Blaze x

LOOPYLISA Guest

Something we will do one day, maybe not oz though

Will we see you on bbc1 where they follow you out to see if you like it cant remember what its called

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I emigrated in 1982 and came back 1993. It is a great place to raise a family and in hindsight would I do it again? Yes definately. All my family are there and my DS has just gone for 4 months and told me he isn't coming back for 2 years!

Can you afford to go for a holiday and see what you think?

A friend in the Army has gone over for 5 years to train with the Aussie army and may not come back

What have you go to loose? rain, snow, football, pubs ha ha

gain - sunshine, beach, bbq's
    Debbie

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

blimey Emma your life is never dull for a second, people land you with trauma to trauma ( parents and family) and then in your bid for excitement you add moving to the other side of the world into the equation

you need help I'd be having a nervous breakdown by now
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

love Sarah.

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LOOPYLISA View Post
    Something we will do one day, maybe not oz though

Will we see you on bbc1 where they follow you out to see if you like it cant remember what its called
    Wanted Down Under ?

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    blimey Emma your life is never dull for a second, people land you with trauma to trauma ( parents and family) and then in your bid for excitement you add moving to the other side of the world into the equation

you need help I'd be having a nervous breakdown by now
    You mean ESCAPE

This is not me who started all this, it is DH. I am more than happy to go though. DH has already looked at several sitess and filled in an initial form, not sure what though. He wants to speak to some of his family in Oz but knows they will say something to his Mum or Nan and we wanted to research in to it first before telling anyone anything for certain.

I think if we are going to do it needs to be within the next 2-3 years as the kids are still young and schooling won't (hopefully) be too affected if we go then decide to come back.

And regards having a nervous breakdown the antics of Friday night's thread keep me sane! Looking at how unhinged you all are I know I good lol

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EmmaReed84 View Post
    You mean ESCAPE

This is not me who started all this, it is DH. I am more than happy to go though. DH has already looked at several sitess and filled in an initial form, not sure what though. He wants to speak to some of his family in Oz but knows they will say something to his Mum or Nan and we wanted to research in to it first before telling anyone anything for certain.

I think if we are going to do it needs to be within the next 2-3 years as the kids are still young and schooling won't (hopefully) be too affected if we go then decide to come back.

And regards having a nervous breakdown the antics of Friday night's thread keep me sane! Looking at how unhinged you all are I know I good lol

go for it hon
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

June 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    go for it hon
    Cor Oonly been here since Novemeber and already you are trying to get rid of me lol

Mar 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but I read that as Gonads!

I nearly wee'd myself. A gonad named Gary...... Gary the Gonad
    PMSL!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast