Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default P.E. Kit Hygiene

My DD is just 6 and in year 1. She does PE once a week, more often if the opportunity arises (although according to my DD it never does).

It has been a bit of a bone of contention with her class because the teacher insists that the kit is bought home once a week on a Thursday the day they do PE to be washed and bought back on Monday so its there if needed.

There a snotty comment in this weeks Year 1 newsletter complaining that teachers were wasting too much time looking for PE kits that weren't there so could we ensure we remember to send them in on a Monday.

Am I (and the Mums I talk to) being "dirty" in thinking we don't need to have these home every week to wash? They only do a bit of climbing and jumping off equipment indoors so hardly get dirty or sweaty?

What with reading books, spelling books, forest school gear , swimming kit (this and the forest school gear does need sorting weekly), show and tell items, hats, scarfs, gloves, wellies & money for various things...don't we have enough to remember???

Aug 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

LOL we have to remind our lot to bring them home as the teachers would never send the kits home.

Aug 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My school sends them home once a TERM.
    I have to ask every couple of weeks if I can have it

onceinabluemoon Guest

My mindees school sends them home at the end of every half term.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

Its school holidays only here for Pe kit washing.

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours only come home at school holidays!
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Oct 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

every half term for indoor pe kits but the games kit goes in only on the day they have outdoor games and comes home the same day

Aug 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours only come home in school holidays too!

Pipsqueak Guest

I'm lucky if I see PE kit once a term....

pre reg
    Post Thanks / Like

i always washed my kids pe stuff every week by choice [but that was before i was minding full time.lol]

now i wash buggy and car seat covers.
    bit ocd i think.lolxxx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours get sent home weekly too. (I must be dirty too cos I just send it back on the monday - unless teeshirt is all screwed up in which case I pop in a clean one) I wash it every few weeks.

Ours only send them home so that the janitor can clean the cloakroom properly, without all the bags in the way.

Jul 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours come home every holiday
    Love Amanda

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours is every week. Good job too , you should see the state of it when it comes out of the bag! Ds's school does a mix of indoor and outdoor pe , so its occasionally muddy - but even when its relatively clean its a screwed up mess , not wearable the following week. Never met a y1 child who can fold their kit back up and get it back in those bags neatly without it coming out resembling a dishcloth.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I always washed them once a week because they have been used I would hate to put on a shirt that had been sitting in a bag with smelly shoes etc for half a term.

Wait till you have a teenagers games kit I wonder if you would leave that half a term

Post Thanks / Like

At our first school (upto end of year 5) they only sent the pe kit home at the end of each half term to be washed. Once my sons moved onto middle school they took it backwards and forwards as they needed it, together with the books they needed each day! Having sad that my sons are dirt magnets so it needed washing every week anyway!!!

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ours send home every week which is a nightmare on a Monday morning when they all come to me with book bag, lunch bag and PE kit so I can have 3 or 4 children with 3 bags each to fit in the car!

Cx

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

when my kids were young I used to have a nosy in the bag on a Friday and see if it looked like it could last another week mostly left it there but always home every half term.

sometimes folded the t shirt and made sure all as in there or search lost property for items.

High school it comes home after every use - some kids leave it in a locker - can you imagine the smells in there
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

APR 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Once a week is too much! Like you said we have enough to remember for school as it is! And they dont get dirty in a week do they? They only use it once in that time.

My chidrens school never send the kits home, I have to ask my son to fetch it home.

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    I always washed them once a week because they have been used I would hate to put on a shirt that had been sitting in a bag with smelly shoes etc for half a term.

Wait till you have a teenagers games kit I wonder if you would leave that half a term
    Weekly here too with a 14yrold

May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post

I do check it to see what condition it's in as I do tend to freshen it up half way through the half term. As she gets older she will definately be bringing it home after every wear.

Also her shoes are not smelly as they have never been worn as they do PE bare foot Even last week when she told her teacher she had a verruca she still had to do it bare foot. Funny to have a teacher so hot on hygiene that she wants the PE kit home but then won't let a child with a highly contagious thing like a verruca wear her pumps. Hmmm wonder if that's how she got it in the first place...
    Last edited by Tealady; 27-01-2012 at 10:35 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast