Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

my daughter is called Beckie not unusual really but she is just Beckie on her birth cert not Rebecca, I once got called in to school because she was ignoring the teacher who, it turns out, kept calling her Rebecca, hm wonder why she was ignoring her then! I also called her this becasue i didnt want it to be shortend but now her friends call her Becks! which is horrible cause I hate beckham but she dont mind.
    My son is called Mathew,, again not unusual but he only has one T in his name and the teachers can never get it right,, I had to complain that he would never learn to spell his name right if they couldnt!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a Joseph, Naomi, Zachary and Rachel...nothing especially unusual about any of them - although it does annoy me if people shorten their names (pet hate of mine lol)

Have known a few different names over the years...just a few that spring to mind.....
    Honey
    Jedidiah
    Sonny
    Mackeral (why????) (he was shortened to Mack)

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I know a boy who is now about 6 called Snowball

and a boy my son used to go to school with is called Craze but strangely he really suits it
    IS BACK

Sep 11
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beetlejuice View Post
    LOL we nearly called DD2 Brooke but when we asked 2 yr old DD1 if she could pronounce it she said 'Book' - not normally too bad but our DD1 is called Paige. COuld not have 'Paige' and 'Book'!!
    LOL nearly wet myself!! x

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mushpea View Post
    my daughter is called Beckie not unusual really but she is just Beckie on her birth cert not Rebecca, I once got called in to school because she was ignoring the teacher who, it turns out, kept calling her Rebecca, hm wonder why she was ignoring her then! I also called her this becasue i didnt want it to be shortend but now her friends call her Becks! which is horrible cause I hate beckham but she dont mind.
    My son is called Mathew,, again not unusual but he only has one T in his name and the teachers can never get it right,, I had to complain that he would never learn to spell his name right if they couldnt!
    I had a friend at school many moons ago called Cathy - just Cathy not Catherine. Took a long while for teachers to get it right

My children are Daisy and Toby as I wanted names which could not be shortened - well they get called Daze and Tobe/Tobs but that would never be written. My mum gave us all names which could be shortened if we wanted - all of us use our shortened names

I like a lot of the 'different' names as long as they go with surname and once you get used to them they all sound 'normal' when you have said it a few hundred times!
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

DD1 is called Nyah. Although that has become more popular now, and I've heard it a few times now.
    I have never heard of that name before, it's beautiful!

I look after a little boy called Eden- a fairly popular name now but everyone always comments that they thought it was a girls name. Really suits him though.

I once cared for a 'Maisie Daisy Bluebell'

Also Jago, Beatrice, Jonty, Florianna, Marlon, Lilith (shortened to Lily and her surname was Flower.)

May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a friend whose children are called Paige, Tyla, Bree, Broc and Cam.

My children all have 'traditional' names but my boys both have their dad's name first name as their second name.

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

My youngest DD is called Anya - but pronounced to rhyme with banana. Since she was about 8 months old she's been known as Anya Banana - or now even just Banana I'm sure when we are out and about people think I'm trying to be some trendy Gwyneth Paltrow type when I call out 'Banana' to get her attention The funny thing is that she started trampolining classes today and there is another Anya (sounds the way it's spelled) and to differentiate them her teacher calls my DD Miss Banana

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Playmate View Post
    Tell me about it! I called my DD1 Bethan which is fairly common in Wales (I'm not welsh btw!) but not here. I wanted to shorten it to Beth, but she never has and I'm infuriated that many English feel it must be lengthend to Bethany.No offence to anyone who has called their daughter Bethany btw, I don't dislike its just not what I named her!
    I have the opposite problem - I live in Wales (not Welsh) and DD1 is called Eliza-Bethany and she is always called Eliza-Bethan by other people. She was called that as a compromise I wanted Bethany and DH wanted Elizabeth. She is 14 so before Bethany became relatively common.

sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I taught a jeronimo and a sonny-jack Frost (thoes are the parent's spellings not mine!)

I did once have 2 Harleys in my class, one girl, one boy. never had one since!

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

ohhhh post duplicated!
    Last edited by tulip0803; 08-01-2012 at 10:17 PM.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by parsleypetal View Post
    i must admit now i wish i had called emily my original name eloise....i was a BIG damned fan.
    DD2 has Eloise as a middle name as I loved the song - couldn't have it as a first name because the similarity to DD1's Eliza

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

my dd is called Lacey - she likes it until she can't get anything with her name on and will sometimes say why couldn't i have been called emily? you can get things with that name on.

One of my dd's friends goes to a different school and there are twins called benson and hedges!

may04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

ever since I was nine I've liked the name Tamsin so dd1 is Tamsin and dd2 is Eloise as I quite liked Ellie but knew quite a lot of Ellies and Eloise was a bit more unusual.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i knew twins called fifi & lulu !!! i met their nanny in the park and i thought she was calling some poodles until these 2 girls ran up !!

Jan 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gegele View Post
    are you a fan of BONES? temperance Brennan

can't win
    Yes - that's where we got it from. Had no idea for a girls name and when we heard it - both looked at each other. My mum hates it! Well did...

And yes ajs - there was a temperance society for alcoholism!

But looking into it - it is a very old traditional English name. Oh - and she does get called Tempe for short. Although I hate shortening names but she can't say Temperance yet!

x

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Im not a fan of old traditional names at all , and really dislike the current trend for Alfies and Arnies and Freddies. I would even prefer the full 'Arnold'!
    But the joy with names is that we are all different , and the huge range of names is wonderful , i hate having a common name . Ds2 was going to be Keir , until someone said he might get called Keir the Queer at school. To this day i wish Id ignored them and called him it - he got boring Kyle instead!! DS3 is Quinn. I hope there arent too many others out there - id like him to have a fairly unique but not 'silly' name.

oct 07
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    Im not a fan of old traditional names at all , and really dislike the current trend for Alfies and Arnies and Freddies. I would even prefer the full 'Arnold'!
    But the joy with names is that we are all different , and the huge range of names is wonderful , i hate having a common name . Ds2 was going to be Keir , until someone said he might get called Keir the Queer at school. To this day i wish Id ignored them and called him it - he got boring Kyle instead!! DS3 is Quinn. I hope there arent too many others out there - id like him to have a fairly unique but not 'silly' name.
    I wanted to call my 2nd son Quinn but i live in north east scotland where the "nickname" for a girl is a quinne (pronounced to sound like rhinne) so hubby wouldnt allow it. The nickname for a boy is "loon"!! His name is Macaulay.
    Last edited by little chickee; 09-01-2012 at 10:44 AM. Reason: adding stuff!

Sept 00
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    I love your name, but I am very traditional when it comes to names. Dh wanted Madeleine for our youngest and I refused said it was too unusual ( it was 17 yrs ago) and she would get called Mad. Wish we had now and Mad would have suited her.

All of mine have traditional Victorian names, we tried with more modern names when I was pregnant with each of them, like ds was going to be Elliott but as soon as he was born we changed it.

Oh and there's a Quinn at mindees school but other then yours he's the only other Quinn I've ever met.
    Last edited by ajs; 09-01-2012 at 12:18 PM.

sept 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Angel, the news reported that the baby was "Ivy blue" but in fact she is "Blue Ivy"

I like it, love the name Blue - i like the word though - it is one of those words that i enjoy looking at and pronouncing i have a few of those...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Temperance! what a beautiful name! That has shot to number one on my girls names list, except that ds1 has already chosen Rosie and will not be budged...

Temperance Edwards...a mouthful and a half but oh i love it!

I was always kristen pissten

or O-lang-utan

really, if someone is going to take the rise out of you, they will do it for any reason and if they cant find one, they will take great delight in making it up

oh a few others - Noddy because i always had rosy cheeks and recently after a visit to a Monkey sanctuary, Dusky Langur as my maiden name is Lang...

see what i mean??

im also; christian, kirsty, crystal, kris oh and my MIL calls me "chrisjun"

even people that see my name on fb or an email will still spell my name kIrsten rather than KRisten...

lol
    Last edited by Tinglesnark; 09-01-2012 at 12:39 PM.
    What's for you, wont pass by you

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast