Registered Childminder since
    oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default military wives choir

wow!

has anyone else heard their amazing song?

it was on the television on monday night as the end of the television series with gareth malone putting together a choir of military wives, and a composer wrote a song for them, which they sang at the royal albert hall.

chris evans has been playing it on the radio since then, and i can't get it out of my head, and snatches of words come back all day. it is so beautiful, and the women who sang it are so brave, and it makes me think of the minders on here who are military wives.

bless you all

xxx

July 96
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It's lovely, I cry every time I hear it.

Let's hope it makes Christmas number one
    Cherry x

Post Thanks / Like

I watched the programme and I was in floods xx its brilliant very moving and poignant x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG I cried my eyes out watching that show the other night
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

sept10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It was a fantastic show and the wives are fabulous singers. I was in tears as well.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I must say I hate Gareth Malone. He is not very highly regarded in the profession at all.
    He does everything for high TV impact and no doubt a high income and then abandons the project.

He caused chaos and much heartache in the schools that he did his high profile projects in and left no stratagies for the projects to be continued and he himself never followed them up once the TV had gone and left the children de-moralised and basically in the lurch. He just moves on to the next high profile TV thing.

A bit like Catherine Jenkins, who calls herself a singer, I wish she would sing in tune!! She appears at things like Remembrance in the Albert hall dressed in the most inappropriate outfit for the occasion, no respect, but its all about her personal image and she does give a fig about where she is.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

he is a bit of a xxx isn't he? he rubbed me up the wrong way a bit when watching but the singers stories/journeys are always so interesting to wathc - but thought it was just me being judgemental about him. If this is how he behaves then he should not be allowed to carry on without leaving support in place after for these projects. that's awful
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    he is a bit of a xxx isn't he? he rubbed me up the wrong way a bit when watching but the singers stories/journeys are always so interesting to wathc - but thought it was just me being judgemental about him. If this is how he behaves then he should not be allowed to carry on without leaving support in place after for these projects. that's awful
    The trouble is with both these people they make for good TV.

GM blotted his copy book big time with the profession with the Boys school choir. I think it was the first programme he did. He got a choir up and running in a school not that far from me. The goal was for the Choir to enter the Choir of the year competition. The reality was that the Choir was no where near a high enough standard to enter, but because it was TV they barged out another good school so his Choir could take part and they were not good and should never have been allowed to perform. He then abandoned the school when the programme finished with no funds or expertise in place to continue. Shocking.

He was banned from ever being allowed to enter a choir in the National competition again. I think this is why he has moved on to work with adults.

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

Gareth Malone aside, I thought the ladies in the choir sang brilliantly, they put their heart and soul into the song.

They are all genuine and they went through an awful lot of emotion from the beginning to the end of the process.

It was started to fill a gap in their lives while their husbands/partners were away and they continue to meet up to practise their new found skills, I think they are planning a Christmas Choir Service on base (not 100% sure though).

My son is a chef on the base in Chivnor and said it has had a huge impact on all their lives, it's helped forge friendships and built self esteem..... So I say a big well done to them all

I cried all the way through, it was so emotional

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karensmart4 View Post
    Gareth Malone aside, I thought the ladies in the choir sang brilliantly, they put their heart and soul into the song.

They are all genuine and they went through an awful lot of emotion from the beginning to the end of the process.

It was started to fill a gap in their lives while their husbands/partners were away and they continue to meet up to practise their new found skills, I think they are planning a Christmas Choir Service on base (not 100% sure though).

My son is a chef on the base in Chivnor and said it has had a huge impact on all their lives, it's helped forge friendships and built self esteem..... So I say a big well done to them all

I cried all the way through, it was so emotional
    That is all fantastic but what will they do when GM walks away? It will potentially cause even more heartbreak if there is no one with the expertise to help them carry on. Thats the trouble with this man he loves the lime light and the qudos(sp!!) but does not put any structure in place so it can continue when he has moved on to the next high profile money making project.

apr 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'good'
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    That is all fantastic but what will they do when GM walks away? It will potentially cause even more heartbreak if there is no one with the expertise to help them carry on. Thats the trouble with this man he loves the lime light and the qudos(sp!!) but does not put any structure in place so it can continue when he has moved on to the next high profile money making project.
    You have obviously got a big thing against GM and I'm not going to argue with you because I don't know him.

What i will say though is the ladies at the base have not got plans to take it forward, they joined the choir and forged friendships that will hopefully last a long long time.

The experience built some of the ladies self-esteem and self-worth. Children made new friends.

They did something that they never dreamt of doing.

Good on them and I think they should be congratulated.

Karen

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karensmart4 View Post
    You have obviously got a big thing against GM and I'm not going to argue with you because I don't know him.

What i will say though is the ladies at the base have not got plans to take it forward, they joined the choir and forged friendships that will hopefully last a long long time.

The experience built some of the ladies self-esteem and self-worth. Children made new friends.

They did something that they never dreamt of doing.

Good on them and I think they should be congratulated.

Karen
    I think that is great but don't you think it is a bit sad that they have been introduced to something they clearly enjoy very much but no way of continuing the new found interest? A bit like giving someone fab chocs once and then saying but you can't buy them anywhere and I'm not going to give you anymore. I would have more respect for GM if he did these projects and left them with the ability to carry on if they wanted to.

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i have sung with some amazing choirs, but when the choir master leaves, the choirs looks for a new leader.

i've also sung in 'short term' choirs, where i have met wondeful people, had a fantastic time, yet, after a few months, it was over. personally, i then looked for other opportunities to sing.

i'm sure those ladies will continue to sing whatever happens, as it has helped them and meant to much. wishing them every success in the future.