Pre-Dyslexia Testing
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Pipsqueak Guest

Default Pre-Dyslexia Testing

We took James for pre-testing at the Dyslexia Assoc yesterday and he is coming out as behind average for spelling and reading (no surprise there) but really high for confidence in these areas. She said he was showing as having clear indicators of dyslexia. but due to his age wait a year and see what happens etc.

nothing really 'surprised me' and I am happy to give the school the info and wait a year..... (for battle!!)

however, we got talking about Harry and she gave me loads of information now that he is in secondary. I was saying that I was looking to get a full diagnoses and she recommended that him being in year 7 to hold of a year at least. And also for taking his GSCE's they take into account the PREVIOUS two years of how the child has worked - therefore if work predominately on a laptop then they can take their GSCE's on a laptop (apparently many schools don't even know this). Also that if I wanted to get him additional tutoring at the dyslexia association then the child can come out of school to attend this - most schools apparently will kick up a fuss and say that ALL classes are important and the child HAS to attend them - however the DA reasons that a foreign language class is counter productive for example to a dyslexic child.....

intersting info....

Registered Childminder since
    july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Very interesting - food for thought
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

most schools wont allow your child to use a comp

there is a hand spell checker thing you can buy and they type in what they think it is a a whole list of words come up

he will get extra time in exams and someone to read out his questions but not in english

my k school have a learning disabilities unit and they wont allow a child to come out of school for classes or let k have her comp in school i would sooner she left PE out as shes active anyway to go to a class but they wont now lets see why didnt they get outstanding?

they have some fab word play softwear for kids its fun and educational but not cheap unless you could borrow one from his school

k as we speak is having a lesson with a lady who is on the comittee but we have to pay about 20 a time since she was in year 2 without her and the others k would be so far behind and now we darent stop but the lady is priceless

my hubby and i are both on the comittee now he is chair and i help out when needed on fundraiser and making posters and things

i would make things happen for him now and not wait as you will be waiting forever and he will get further behind

good luck with your fight
    One life live it

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
    most schools wont allow your child to use a comp

there is a hand spell checker thing you can buy and they type in what they think it is a a whole list of words come up

he will get extra time in exams and someone to read out his questions but not in english

my k school have a learning disabilities unit and they wont allow a child to come out of school for classes or let k have her comp in school i would sooner she left PE out as shes active anyway to go to a class but they wont now lets see why didnt they get outstanding?

:
    apparently the dyslexia assoc is one of the few places a child can attend LEGALLY during school time. She did say schools will often kick up a fuss but the dyslexia assoc know the law etc and will back the parent/child all the way.

they cannot stop a child using a laptop if that is beneficial to their learning style and disability - been researching this today
    and yes they can provide a reader for certain aspects of literacy exams (I had this for Harrys SATs - where he didn't get one and flunked totally)

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

i was just telling my lady she didnt know either do you have a link for me to read about it?

K has parents evening tomorrow it would be nice to take in info as they said we cant
    One life live it

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Do you mind if I ask how old James is?

Pipsqueak Guest

http://www.dyslexiaaction.org.uk/

might be worth getting in touch with your local offices
    xx

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Pip thanks for the info on secondary. out of interest - why did she recommend holding off a year with the full assessment for Harry as we are toying with it for Lewis?

We are struggling big time with getting a local tutor with any vacancies the one we found could see him now and again but now she's moving to lake district. At the moment I'm doing it all myself with the toe-by-toe book but it's hard fitting it around minding, homework, clubs and housework
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

May 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    We took James for pre-testing at the Dyslexia Assoc yesterday and he is coming out as behind average for spelling and reading (no surprise there) but really high for confidence in these areas. She said he was showing as having clear indicators of dyslexia. but due to his age wait a year and see what happens etc.

nothing really 'surprised me' and I am happy to give the school the info and wait a year..... (for battle!!)

however, we got talking about Harry and she gave me loads of information now that he is in secondary. I was saying that I was looking to get a full diagnoses and she recommended that him being in year 7 to hold of a year at least. And also for taking his GSCE's they take into account the PREVIOUS two years of how the child has worked - therefore if work predominately on a laptop then they can take their GSCE's on a laptop (apparently many schools don't even know this). Also that if I wanted to get him additional tutoring at the dyslexia association then the child can come out of school to attend this - most schools apparently will kick up a fuss and say that ALL classes are important and the child HAS to attend them - however the DA reasons that a foreign language class is counter productive for example to a dyslexic child.....

intersting info....
    Very interesting, my daughter who is in year 7 at secondary as always been behind with spellings and reading no matter how much time we spend together learning them, they realised in year 6 that she was behind and finally started giving her extra help which she slightly improved for her Sats, since moving to secondary school shes been tested again and has the reading age of a 7 year and shes 11. Shes got worse since her last sats and this has really shocked me.

The secondary school and realised this and put her on a IEP, ive made a appointment to see the head in a week as I want to discuss dyslexia, I dont know much about it but from things on the internet and a couple of friends have said she has does things like add letters to words, constantly spells the words wrong but the same way.

Hopefully being a girls school and very proud of their good results they will agree to getting her tested.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I have two teenagers with dyslexia, one gets extra time in exams the other gets extra time in exams plus he uses a laptop all the time at school and for gcses, he has a scribe for Maths because it's too difficult on the laptop. He misses Pe lessons for extra help with phonic knowledge.

Think it depends which school to be honest, we have been extremely Lucky.

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    Do you mind if I ask how old James is?
    James will be 7 in December

Harry is 11

Pipsqueak Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    Pip thanks for the info on secondary. out of interest - why did she recommend holding off a year with the full assessment for Harry as we are toying with it for Lewis?

We are struggling big time with getting a local tutor with any vacancies the one we found could see him now and again but now she's moving to lake district. At the moment I'm doing it all myself with the toe-by-toe book but it's hard fitting it around minding, homework, clubs and housework
    She recommended holding off for now for a year - she explained that for GCSE's they take into account how that child has been, their learning style, their methods etc and also ANY assessments (well she said the school should take account).... although apparently not many schools realise this.
    by having him tested in year 8 the assessment will still be fresh and very valid and they should (there is that word again) be moving in the direction in getting him prepared.

We still go through the Toe by Toe book with Harry.

Dyslexia Action offer various forms of testing for children as well as tutoring. Definately worth getting in touch with them

Yes fi Fi it really is pot luck with the schools and how they respond

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    She recommended holding off for now for a year - she explained that for GCSE's they take into account how that child has been, their learning style, their methods etc and also ANY assessments (well she said the school should take account).... although apparently not many schools realise this.
    by having him tested in year 8 the assessment will still be fresh and very valid and they should (there is that word again) be moving in the direction in getting him prepared.

We still go through the Toe by Toe book with Harry.

Dyslexia Action offer various forms of testing for children as well as tutoring. Definately worth getting in touch with them

Yes fi Fi it really is pot luck with the schools and how they respond
    the toe by toe is fab. we've had our full local list from the BDA but all the tutors are full
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got