Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Insulin pumps

Registered Childminder since
    Sep 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Insulin pumps

Does any one have, own (lol!!) or care for a child with an insulin pump, my DD (14) is strongly being recommended to use pump therapy as she has to inject too many large amounts to keep her sugars down, now I am a research bod (as in I like to collect info on things and digest them), have had a look online, at the pros and cons (but she will have to go on one so cant do anything about the cons) but cant really find, just a general, this is what I think type of thing x

so just wondered if anyone in childminding land can help, the Exracehorse forum have not been much help, and not on of my 315 FB friends can help either x

We did go to a Pump meeting, but the girl they used to advise was not very approachable (you know the type x)

thanks x

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

No experience myself, but didn't want to read and run.

Hopefully far more knowledgable will be along to share their experiences with you

Hope you find the right thing for your dd

Penny1959 Guest

I don't have one - but wish I did.

I know of 2 people whose lives were transformed with the use of the pump.

I also know one young person who was not happy about it because felt it would show under her clothes and so people might make fun of her and / or she would not be able to wear tight fitting clothes.

I will be interested in reading any replies you get.

Penny

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

My friends son was offered one when he was the same age he refused it as it would have been too restrictive for sport, it was to be attached to the leg, his mum didn't want him to have it after reading all the info although she wouldn't have stopped him if he wanted it. His consultant and diabetic nurse didn't put any pressure on him at all to have it, funnily enough his blood sugar soon settled down perhaps its related to puberty. One of my mindees mum had one for a while after being hospitalized several times to control her blood sugars when wearing short dresses it could be seen.