What board games does everyone like?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What board games does everyone like?

Just as the title suggests

What board games are your fave when you were wee .. and now?

What about your own kids or mindees what goes down well?

me I love Monopoly, Frustration and Bingo lol

DS loves ALL board games he has been a chess whizz since he was 3 lol

There is a game in my shop called "Doggie Doo"- just arrived this week lol its too funny basically you feed your dog a plasticine treat roll the dice and pull the lead however many times the dice shows and if your dog does a poo you scoop that poop lol i fell over laughing lol
    XX Jill XX

June 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

When I was a kid I played;
    Monopoly, Operation, Mouse Trap, Frustration and we played alot of card games.
    My DD's like playing Connect four, Monopoly, chess, Cards, Karom, we buy a new board game each christmas but its always the classics which come out the most often.
    Toothfairy

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My children are asking for that doggiedoo told them to go out and clean up after the real dog but apparantly thats different.

We have monopoly, uno (several different versions), connect 4, battleships, connect 4, elefun, twister, downfall, operation, and more just cant think of them.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have loads of games. My teens like strategy games the most - have done since they were little - game of thrones, settler of catan, khet, risk etc. My youngest has gotten into khet lately (lazer chess), and the viking game and the roman game.

They all like blokus, it's great even for kids who are too young to understand the concept cos they can make pictures with the pieces, or just invent their own rules, it's quite an open ended game (CM bit coming - good for small motor skill, PSRN, CLLD, CD, turn taking and sooperation skills)

If you have boys, then definitely go down the route of strategy type games, rather than question games like trivial pursuit. They work perfectly for boys brains to keep them interested and enthusiastic whilst supporting their developing skills

One that doesn't go down well in my house, but went down a treat at my youth group was pictureka.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

we love uno (not really a board game I know). my two love the logo game (hilarious for family arguments), monopoly. I also get subjected to a very long game of pokemon board game with ds now and again.

my dd has fairytale charms.

with the littlies, incy wincy spider, shopping list, noahs ark, lotto games.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Non childminder member
    parent
    Post Thanks / Like

As a child Monopoly, Connect4, draughts, chess, Scrabble and Campaign were favourites. My children get bored with them, so although we have loads of them, they are gathering dust.

Doggiedoo sounds wonderful-mine would probably enjoy that.......

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lolli_pop243 View Post
    As a child Monopoly, Connect4, draughts, chess, Scrabble and Campaign were favourites. My children get bored with them, so although we have loads of them, they are gathering dust.

Doggiedoo sounds wonderful-mine would probably enjoy that.......
    Lol the Doggiedoo game has green plasticine stuff in the pic on the box - might be more realistic with brown ha ha ha
    XX Jill XX

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We love games.

Card games apart from an ordinary pack of cards. When I was small we played Whot, Pit, Mainline which was a bit like dominoes but with train track, Pit, Contraband where you had to sneak stuff past customs! Now we have added Uno, Uno Extreme, various Harry Potter Games and Set.

Board games when I was small

Mount Everest sadly long gone,

Merry Milkman where you fill your lorry at the Dairy and then deliver to your houses by spinning a wheel, first one back to the dairy with an empty lorry wins. I still have this and all the pieces!

Scoop a newspaper game where you collect srories to cover your front page and the first to do it shouts 'Scoop'! I still habe this one.

Kensington

Buccaneer

Pirate and Traveller You travel around the world collecting points and then race to get the treasure.

Totopoly a game about horse racing you train your horse and then race it. We had this and it has dissappeared in all the moving last year so I am hoping it will reappear at some point

We also have Monopoly in several forms incl junior, Scrabble adult and junior, Cluedo Adult and junior, Upwords, Orthello, Downfall, Go, Chess and Draughts, Scattergories, Mastermind, Make and Break, Lego Creator, Rummikub letters and numbers, Link Letters, Outrage a game about stealing the Crown Jewels from the Tower of London, Trivial Pursuit oh and Dominos and Mexican Train Dominoes and a few more!!

You can see we are game additics in our house!!!

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rickysmiths View Post
    We love games.

Card games apart from an ordinary pack of cards. When I was small we played Whot, Pit, Mainline which was a bit like dominoes but with train track, Pit, Contraband where you had to sneak stuff past customs! Now we have added Uno, Uno Extreme, various Harry Potter Games and Set.

Board games when I was small

Mount Everest sadly long gone,

Merry Milkman where you fill your lorry at the Dairy and then deliver to your houses by spinning a wheel, first one back to the dairy with an empty lorry wins. I still have this and all the pieces!

Scoop a newspaper game where you collect srories to cover your front page and the first to do it shouts 'Scoop'! I still habe this one.

Kensington

Buccaneer

Pirate and Traveller You travel around the world collecting points and then race to get the treasure.

Totopoly a game about horse racing you train your horse and then race it. We had this and it has dissappeared in all the moving last year so I am hoping it will reappear at some point

We also have Monopoly in several forms incl junior, Scrabble adult and junior, Cluedo Adult and junior, Upwords, Orthello, Downfall, Go, Chess and Draughts, Scattergories, Mastermind, Make and Break, Lego Creator, Rummikub letters and numbers, Link Letters, Outrage a game about stealing the Crown Jewels from the Tower of London, Trivial Pursuit oh and Dominos and Mexican Train Dominoes and a few more!!

You can see we are game additics in our house!!!
    ooh I loved buccaneer when i was wee - must have belonged to my big sis.
    XX Jill XX

Dec 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I had one not sure what called when i was younger.

It was like a big arena and there were 4 different coloured spinning tops which you poked a drinking straw in the top , blew then pulled the straw out and they wouls spin off into each other - hours of fun!!
    DS has something similar but battery powered - tbh mine was better
    XX Jill XX

Sept 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

the kids love Close the box (number game with dice)
    junior monopoly
    Rush hour (strategy game with cars on a board)
    Balderdash (family older game making up definitions for long words...our family has played it for 15 years!)

The last 2 are american games
    Also 'Things' where you guess who said which answer to questions like if you were a cat what would you think right now . very funny game.

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Cludo and monopoly were the favorites when mine were younger.

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

I detest monotony

Love Cranium, really good fun.

Dd2 (8) loves any board games. Shut the box. Don't Laugh. Triple triumph. Pictureka. Chinese checkers. Downfall. Frustration.

We always had a new game every Xmas and I tend to stick to that.
    Come back David....

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

my eldest mindee (9) has taught himself chess on our PC!!!!

he has played the real thing with my OH (who believe it or not was a schoolboy chess champion-i know-i couldnt believe it either) and was actually very good.

i told mum and she was gobsmacked....they are not the sort who would play chess-her words not mine lol

so chess (or chest as R calls it) is game de jour chez parsley

mandy xxx
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

apr 04
    Post Thanks / Like

Default board games

i liked frustration, twister, pit, simon says, buckaroo, now its zingo, orchard games like spotty dog ,scaredy cat, quack quack,uno pairs simple games and not many rules by the time you have read them children have got bored and gone on to some thing else and the best part no batterys yes

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Mixed preferences on board games in our house.

My brother, the rampant capitalist, has won just about every game of monotony we've played since he was 5.

I nearly always win trivial pursuit

My mother refuses to play any board games with us now.

My favourite board game of all time however, is Pirates Cove. We played this ad nauseum in our house when I was university. Pirates Cove for the win!

Pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh like strategy games too!! And all sorts of cardgames especially ones learnt in Austria during drunken nights lol!
    Kids games favourites are "the orchard" and "labyrinth" at the moment.
    I really like Cooperative rather than co
    Petite games for kids. "Shadow in the woods" is lovely!
    But any on here are nice http://www.myriadonline.co.uk/co-operative-games.php

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

dd who is 5 LOVES snakes and ladders, she can play it all day.

Sept 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Tumbling monkeys - loved by every child who has passed through my house. In fact I had to replace it because it had been played with so much. Brilliant for PRN. I love the fact too that the although the aim of the game is to get the least monkeys the little ones like to get the most ,so if playing with different ages everyone thinks they're a winner!

registe
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rosebud View Post
    Tumbling monkeys - loved by every child who has passed through my house. In fact I had to replace it because it had been played with so much. Brilliant for PRN. I love the fact too that the although the aim of the game is to get the least monkeys the little ones like to get the most ,so if playing with different ages everyone thinks they're a winner!
    I am glad that doesn't just happen in our house

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast