Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Childminder since
    may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Default holdiays in britian

I know there is another holiday thread on here and thats whats prompted me to ask this one,, we were thinking of going all inclusive abroad next year as the kids have never been before but after the bad reports on the other thread I am re-thinking,, on reflection I can fully see that these places would be packed and would be a nightmare trying not to loose my kids amongs the others!
    so my question is where is nice to holiday with nice days out in britan,, we went to the isle of white this year and loved it,, we stayed at a holiday park and had days out almost every day to different places plus we had the pool on site and a v.short walk to the beach and to be honest I prefer this type of hols to being abroad,,
    so where in britian have you gone that is good?

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mmmmm the Isle of Wight - have been holidaying there for the past 23 years! I'm sure someone will come along with some other suggestions soon.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We normally go to North Wales, or North Yorkshire. In both places there are loads of places to visit & some lovely beaches.
    We don't like loud, busy holiday parks, so we either go to quieter sites, or book a cottage.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

love Scarborough - went as a child and took mine there a couple of years ago too. good beaches, places to visit and arcades or quiet, whatever you want

Cornwall now for peace and quiet as the kids are grown ups
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

oct 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=PixiePetal;974811]love Scarborough - went as a child and took mine there a couple of years ago too. good beaches, places to visit and arcades or quiet, whatever you want

QUOTE]

been to scarborough today lovely wander and play on the beach, fish & chips on the beach, almost did a boat ride across the bay.

there is also a lovely castle to visit, aquarium and gardens, oh and museum and art gallery!

and then the north york moors and everywhere else!

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

scotland - the highlands are lovely
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We absolutely love Dorset. Swanage and Lyme Regis are our favourites with Lyme being number 1. Both of these places are traditional seaside towns, with only one arcade but brilliant beaches. Swanage has a larger sandy one, and Lyme has a manmade sandy part.

We also love Devon and Cornwall, loads of places to visit and great beaches.

Jan 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

With you being in Essex i'd go to any coast!
    My lot are little so avoiding forigene as had a portugese a&e visit with my first at 6 mths old and three kids would be pushing my luck!
    If you have tried holiday parks and liked it i would always suggest Park Resorts as i love them.
    I'm off for the third time to Romney Sands nr Rye and i love it there. Zoo close by, historic Rye, hastings with all the archades and stuff.

If i was in north still scarbrough is my heaven. I love it!
    But the eatbourne coast along to dover is lovely. bit wild but long stretches of beaches to fly kits and ride bikes!

Or maybe up toward the Fens?

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We go to Cornwall every year. We camp at Perranporth. Love it there

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Have just got back from a holiday in Studland in Dorset. Great beach, castle, boat rides, trains, monkey world and tank museum close by. Loved it, am already booked to go to Pembrokeshire next year but am researching studland for 2013!!

Have also been to North norfolk coast and kent over last few years. We are in North London and until this year only did a max of two hour car journey
    Grindal

Oct 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We usually go to the Lakes couple times a year and have done Scotland. Just come back from Scotland and loved it, people are so friendly and loads to do.

Apr 10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

For just the 2 of us it has to be Stratford or Bath, if we have kids then Scarborough and the surrounding area.

But my favourite of all and I know it is not Britain has to be Orlando, we go every year and love it, there is so much to see and do, it is not just theme parks and Mickey Mouse.

sept 04
    Post Thanks / Like

We usually go to Torquay or somewhere around that area. The train service along that bit of coast is very good and not too expensive - so DH can leave the car and have a few drinks. Dawlish Warren is good, lots of holiday parks to stay there.

Aug 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We had three lovely holidays using Youth Hostels.

They have en-suite family rooms in a lot of the hostels, you do need to book early for peak times though. You have the choice of eating in or cooking for yourself or eating out. The breakfasts are usually fab. They are a safe environment for children and usually have gardens and a games room with a snooker table or table football. It is reasonably cheap as well.

One year we went to 3 in the Peak District loads of places to go with children. Heights of Abraham, Blue John Caves one of them you go in a boat.

We have been to the Lakes and stayed at Hawkshead near Beatrix Potters House. Also Buttermere never stayed their because we have left it too late to book but Ambleside is fab. Lots to do with kids in the lakes.

Then we did a year in the New Forest Forest.

We have also stayed at Ironbridge near Telford and been to Blist's Hill. A Vicorian Town which is another great place for children.

We have also had great holidays in Cornwall, One year because my children, then about 6 and 8 hadn't ever been on an plane I booked a day trip to the Sicilly Isles from Newquay Airport. You go on a 16 seater Twin Otter which flies at no more than 100 feeet so if the weather is good you get the most amazing view of Cornwall.

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

we had a great holiday in a cottage near Weston Super Mare too

had days out to Cheddar gorge, Longleat, Bristol zoo and a ride on the West somerset railway (I think that was it? - steam train to minehead, lovely long trip)

then there were the miles of beaches too
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Apr 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We like Lake Windermere, in the Lake district. Wemyss Bay in Scotland, Craig Tara in Scotland, Pease Bay Scottish Borders.
    Im in the pub

Apr 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont be totally put off going abroad. We went through holiday rentals this year and booked into a lovely complex of about 30 apartments. They had strict rules to adhere to yes - but - it was really safe. You needed a key to get in or out of the complex and we felt that the kids were really safe. We paid just over £1500 in July for 10 nights for the 5 of us including flights, transfers, insurance and accommodation. The kids loved being in and out of the pool all day (which was fenced and they couldnt just run straight in) - plus the bonus of almsot guaranteed no rain and lots of sunshine - we were also near the train station and local bus routes so loads to do. Def would love to go back next year. As we live in Northern Ireland and have to pay a high price to cross the irish sea - it worked out cheaper for us to go abroad!
    PS - have done the lakes, ribby hall, craig tara etc but Spain won hands down in our house

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NI MINDER View Post
    Dont be totally put off going abroad. We went through holiday rentals this year and booked into a lovely complex of about 30 apartments. They had strict rules to adhere to yes - but - it was really safe. You needed a key to get in or out of the complex and we felt that the kids were really safe. We paid just over £1500 in July for 10 nights for the 5 of us including flights, transfers, insurance and accommodation. The kids loved being in and out of the pool all day (which was fenced and they couldnt just run straight in) - plus the bonus of almsot guaranteed no rain and lots of sunshine - we were also near the train station and local bus routes so loads to do. Def would love to go back next year. As we live in Northern Ireland and have to pay a high price to cross the irish sea - it worked out cheaper for us to go abroad!
    PS - have done the lakes, ribby hall, craig tara etc but Spain won hands down in our house
    I agree, we've never done all inclusive but if you pick the resorts which are have the more village like 2 story apartments or just single story apartments there's alot less people than those with 3 great big, 10/15 story hotels or apartment blocks. We've been to some lovely ones and you can usually opt to go full board by paying a voucher by the day. I think have a look and read the trip advisor reviews.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Apr 02
    Post Thanks / Like

Juggler - ours wasnt even park of a hotel. Just renting someones nice apartment - we had no bar no reception etc. Just letting agents who showed us into apartment and were available for any questions problems etc.

may 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NI MINDER View Post
    where abouts did you go and who did you book this with? £1500 sounds more like a price i'd pay,,,,i payed £400 for our accomodation on the isle of white then spent about £800 eating out and for trips out too which meant we could then afford for the kids to do guide and brigade camps aswell, if we pay loads to go abroad we wouldnt be able to afford all the other bits we do at home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast