Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: School Uniform

Registered Childminder since
    Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default School Uniform

I brought a school blazer for my son yesterday with the advice of the sales assistant. Now I've got it home it looks far too big. My son is very slim built which doesn't help with the whole look. He looks like he is wearing someone elses clothes.

Now I do want him to have plenty of wear so yes I would like him to grow into it.

Would he look out of place on the first day of term??? I don't want him to feel stupid.
    Bendy

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

i too had to get a smaller size as the next one swampped my son who is very slim
    IS BACK

June86
    Post Thanks / Like

Go and try the smaller size on him and decide if there's enough growing room, my son went into year 6 with a size30 blazer and has just finished year 11 in it, it didn't swamp him when l brought it and l was tempted to get the next size but it did just look like l had brought it for him to grow into. I'm glad l didn't now. He was slim but also short, he is still slim and didn't shoot up in height until 1/2 way through his last year.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

get the smaller one hon. my ds had the same one for 4 years and didn't outgrow it.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

We just had a trying on session, doesn't look too bad with the jumper underneath, but of course he won't always wear that. The rule at the school is that they must wear blazer at all times unless teacher gives permission to remove. Not sure how comfortable that will be?

He is going to be tall but will probably remain slim built like dad. Gut reaction is to change it for smaller size. So I'm now kicking myself for not insisting on trying other size at the time.

Thanks for your advice
    Bendy

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My dd is inbetween sizes in her blazer and trousers. The trousers I have brought to fit but the blazer I brought the bigger size as I dont think she will last the year.

Our school doesnt let them remove their blazers neither unless they have permission it doesnt seen to bother them too much
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    My dd is inbetween sizes in her blazer and trousers. The trousers I have brought to fit but the blazer I brought the bigger size as I dont think she will last the year.

Our school doesnt let them remove their blazers neither unless they have permission it doesnt seen to bother them too much
    its the same in my kids school
    IS BACK

LOOPYLISA Guest

We bought my dd's to fit, unlike my friends dd , it was soooo big because she didn't want to buy another one

My dd's still fits 2 yes on, they have to have permission to remove too, in the summer months they can wear a polo with school logo on and if your wearing this no blazer allowed.

I have to laugh at the tv adverts saying school uniform for xxxx amount yeh right not when they are 11+ lol ours came to the grand sum of just under £300 when dd started high school

Sept 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Went back today and they admitted that it was too big and gave me the next size down and £2 back due to price difference.

One thing I was surprised about was the sizes available. We originally had a 32" and I assumed the next size down was 30". However we were offered a 31" which is perfect

I have to agree with Loopylisa we have just spent under £300 and I still have school shoes to buy
    Bendy

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad you sorted it. When my DS went into year 8 they had a change of uniform from sweatshirts to blazers etc so totally new uniform - luckily he had used a lot of DD clothes up till then (well the unisex ones anyway )

I got him the Blazer and he outgrew it before the year was up I had bought it a little larger too - he had his big growth spurt and turned into a man Just needs to beef up a bit as he is rather tall and lean - 6ft and size 11 feet at 14yrs old. Hopefully last years blazer will fit for Sept but bet he will need one more in the next 2 years.

I am cross that he is no longer in school clothes for children as adult clothes cost even more - uniform for £15?? - you are having a laugh, not at his age, that wouldn't even buy half a blazer
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

jun 08
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm still deciding which child to sell so I can afford to buy them uniforms

On a positive note - ds school is changing uniform next year but the school is going to give us all a free uniform to start us off - how fab is that????

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by curlycathy View Post
    I'm still deciding which child to sell so I can afford to buy them uniforms

On a positive note - ds school is changing uniform next year but the school is going to give us all a free uniform to start us off - how fab is that????
    wish ours did - cost me a fortune - blazer, shirts, tie, jumper, rugby shirt, PE shorts all changed - oh and even trousers went from black to grey so all had to be replaced. They gave us a year to get rugby shirts changed as people do buy them particularly big to last.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully at the moment dd1 uniform is sweatshirts she'd never keep a blazer on. Dd2 has eczema and there's no way she would cope with one as she gets hot and scratches.
    Come back David....

Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

We have to go and kit youngest dd out next week her blazer and kilt alone will cost around £100 and what is worse I have to buy a new kilt for my elder daughter just for one year, but a least I will then have a spare for younger dd later on