Registered Childminder since
    May '09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DH has resigned from his job

(sorry it is long, I need to moan)

DH has been offered another job.

He filled in all the paperwork for the new job and he posted off the acceptance on his way to work today.

I typed up his resignation letter last night, and he gave the letter to his line manager this morning.

She won't accept it.

Now I feel for my DH as he has been really happy working where he is. He sometimes struggles to get along with certain people, but the mix of personalities there fits him like a glove and he loves it there. It is hard physical work but he gets a great sense of achievement and is very motivated.

But it is a 70 mile round trip, most of it on the motorway and he leave home at 0620 hours and gets home between 1800 and 1930 hours most days.

We hardly see him, and then when he is home, he is exhausted. DD (3.5y) sometimes only sees him for an hour in the evening, sometimes she is already in bed by the time he gets home.

Why does his line manager have to give him a hard time, he feels bad enough as it is resigning ?

Apparently his line manager is going to speak to the owner and get back to him.

In all honesty, they can't make the location closer to home and they cannot make the motorway traffic free and they cannot give us our family time back

New job is tiny bit more money, and only a 30 mile round trip, avoiding the *** motorway.

(sorry, and unfortunately I don't feel any better because I am in limbo waiting for an update from DH)

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh Dear!!

How can they not accept his resignation? Surely they have no choice!!

Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

At the end of the day you have to do the right thing for your family, hope all goes well
    Jo Jo

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Cant see the problem, better job, more money, nearer home, less petrol and wear and tear on his car.

His boss will just have to get used to the fact that he is leaving his job.

If i were you two i would be out celebrating not worrying about the hurt feelings of his boss
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

His contract will give a certain amount of required notice, beyond this he owes them nothing. They can't chain him in!
    Glad he's found a better more family friendly job to go to!

May 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    CC 4's & 5's
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds to me like the line mananger doesn't want to see him go and going to talk to somebody higher up to see if they are authorised to offer more money to make him stay.

As you said they can't pick up his work and move it 40 miles closer so no point but to me that is what it sounds like they are trying to do.

Like somebody else said it is irrelevant them not accepting the resignation his letter is in giving them the required notice so as far as I can see it's DONE
    Me x

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I assume it is a case of not wanting to lose your husband and not so much a contract that is stopping them letting him go! As an employer myself I know how hard it is to come across good employees and when you find one you will do anything to hold on to them.

But no amount of money they can offer him is going to make the travelling and lack of family time worth while. Where as being offered a new job with more money and more time together outways what he has already. I hope all works out well whatever he decides.
    By being true to myself I live life to the full

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i agree. she can't not accept his notice. she can persaude him to stay but that's it. make sure he copies the letter to HR in case she doesn't process his notice hon.

tell him good luck in the new job.
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Well when he does not turn up for work one day the penny might drop that he has actually left
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing