Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    May 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Plump - bit long - advice needed

My DD (aged 5) came out of school on Monday and asked me what "Plump" meant. I said soft and round. She went on to say "Oh I'm plump and Mummy you are very plump" (which I am) I'd asked her where she'd heard the word and she said somebody had called her plump but wouldn't say who.

After a bit of probing I finally got it out of her that her teacher said she was plump. There theme this term is "Living and Growing" and they have been learning about body parts. The teacher was talking about body shapes and apparently refered to some children as thin and my DD as plump.

DD was not that bothered by it, however I have issues for various reasons.

Firstly as my sister had an eating disorder I am very concious of her having a positive body image. Secondly we have had issues with fussy eating as a controlling behaviour in the past.

I am large but endeavour to give my children a healthy diet. They always get their five a day, have child size portions of which I never make them clear their plate and only have sweets in tiny amounts once or twice a week.

When they were weighed and measured she was one point into being over weight. She is in 7-8 year old clothes but she is tall. I have to get trousers with adjustable waists so as the leg length fits. Her school summer dresses are very roomy as If I got smaller ones they'd be too short. By the time she'd filled out her pinifores they were up round her bum.

She's not good at running but then niether am I. It's not her weight as when I was a size 12 gym bunny I couldn't run for toffee. It's her action.

My DD was not bothered by being called plump and she's not mentioned it since so obviously it's my own issues that have come into play with this. Should I complain to the teacher as I feel this was an inappropiate thing to say or let it go?

Pipsqueak Guest

I do not think it is for the teacher to be saying these things or passing judgement on your child.

Yes I would go and see the teacher and explain the implications of her words... ie the eating disorders etc.

the teacher was probably well meaning but would she like someone commenting on her body shape?

Post Thanks / Like

I think that is very out of order and yes I would go in and speak to her.
    Little Miss Chatterbox xx

Aug 03
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes I would go into the school. My dd has always been bigger than her friends she is 12 now and she cannot run to save her life hates running. She has lost alot of weight since starting secondary school think it is all the walking.

It is not very nice of the teacher to say that and I personally would be fuming and would have to say something, as I am on the large size, but I am working on that.
    Love
    Lorraine xx

Oct 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I would ask to see her and discuss what was said. I don't think she was necessarily out of order, but I would however want to know more about the context of what she was saying.

Plump is different to skinny (and not necessarily a bad word), and the teacher was pointing out that different people have different body shapes, using the children as real world examples.

By your own admission, your DD wasn't bothered by it (which shows that you're doing a good job about giving her a positive body image!), and it was a legitimate area of the topic they have been learning about. I would imagine they have also discussed skin colour, hair colour, height and many other things like this. In this context, I think it's OK to say that.

By your own admission, she is bigger than some of the other kids around her, so what would you have had the teacher say instead?

I should point out that I totally understand how you feel, since I am also of the plump persuasion (actually, I'm currently a fatty, but I'm steadily getting closer to mere plumpness ).

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiorjiina View Post
    I would ask to see her and discuss what was said. I don't think she was necessarily out of order, but I would however want to know more about the context of what she was saying.

Plump is different to skinny (and not necessarily a bad word), and the teacher was pointing out that different people have different body shapes, using the children as real world examples.

By your own admission, your DD wasn't bothered by it (which shows that you're doing a good job about giving her a positive body image!), and it was a legitimate area of the topic they have been learning about. I would imagine they have also discussed skin colour, hair colour, height and many other things like this. In this context, I think it's OK to say that.

By your own admission, she is bigger than some of the other kids around her, so what would you have had the teacher say instead?

I should point out that I totally understand how you feel, since I am also of the plump persuasion (actually, I'm currently a fatty, but I'm steadily getting closer to mere plumpness ).
    I agree, the teacher didn't say fat and I dont think plump is a bad word in the context of healthy eating and body shapes. I would talk to the teacher and tell her your concerns.

sept 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't like it and not just related to your child. I was very slim as a child and was very concious of that so if a teacher had labelled me the skinny one I probably would have got upset. I know it seems harmless but kids can be very sensitive and I personally don't see any reason why there was any need to label the children with certain body types. A picture would have done then children can offer you an insight into there own self image as to where they put themselves ( very insightful). I would just have a quiet word and just mention that although your daughter seemed fine other children may not have taken it so well. It then allows the teacher an opportunity to tell you her side as we know all to well how children don't always remember things 100percent accurately.

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiorjiina View Post

I agree I sitting here thinking of a better way of the teacher putting it. I suppose she could have said we are are different sizes but tall and small leads to thin and what word do you said?
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Mar 11
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with every one, I would talk to the teacher and address your concerns
    good luck
    Jo Jo

onceinabluemoon Guest

I actually think plump is a sweet word to describe somebody who is a bit chubby. Heck of a lot better than fat or obese which are words I have to deal with...

Plump puts me in mind of a kindly granny, my favourite aunty, or a dimply baby. Its nice, its kind and its sweet.

Let it go, making a big thing of it is going to have far more effect on your dd than just a teacher saying "he is thin and you and Sheila are plump" in class, would you feel the same if she was short and the teacher said "john is tall and you are short"?

I call my 4 YO mindee 'chubby chops' and tickle his cheeks all the time and it makes him laugh his head off and then he does the same thing back to me, its not what is said but how it is said/meant that is offensive. xx