Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pipsqueak Guest

Default Present for Teacher

Just reading a thread on NM's

http://www.*****.com/coffeehouse/g...ml#post6270558

and its true - when did all this competitive business start (guess which reply is mine on there )

I don't buy into it personally

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

good thread. I hate it all - feel pressured (and broke) if I buy and guilty if I don't. Mostly I jsut make a card with the kids but now they always want to buy somethign because everyone else does.

I know I appreciate all the little pressies I get but I don't expect them. A card which says thank you from parents means so much more.

So this year, we are making cards, I will make one from me as teacher have been fab this year but that is it. I've bought wine before but what a waste if they don't drink/don't like red or white
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I only gave teachers something small if my children asked and they had been particularly nice. My DD teacher in yr 3/4 was a dragon - she got nothing DD bought her some sweets from our holiday once, I said why because you don't like her and she replied that she might if I give her the sweets. She bought them (little bag of 'best teacher' sweets) gave them and teacher put them aside and said 'Oh better not eat them I will get fat' and they sat on the side of the class for the rest of the day. DD gave up on teacher after that.

I worked in a nursery once and a little handmade card and nice words are enough I still have them
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I will this year be making my sons teachers some cakes and put them in a nice box BUT thay is only because they have deserved them.

Last year DS!'s teacher got nowt because that was all he deserved. I just dont do this "make it an expensive pressie because it makes us look good".

One teacher around from a school around here actually gave out a gift list of what she would like - I know what I would have done with that
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Aug 06
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally dont do it except a homemade card or picture or similar.
    My friend is a TA and said nice though it is, theres only so much chocolate they can eat and teachers much prefer something thats taken thought and effort from child, not the parents purse.
    ***** proofed the house but they're still getting in!

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

ZILTCH
    One life live it

Post Thanks / Like

I used to buy my sons teachers a present, just something small. One year I bought pretty notelets, apparently they came in really useful for the thank you letters she sent out for all the presents she got at the end of term

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

My son has made cards for his teacher and assistant. I will probably make them both a set of notelets each as like you say you can only eat so many chocolates.

I had better get a move on....lol

LOOPYLISA Guest

My dd came home and said her form wereputting in £5 each for a pandora bracelet for her teacher errrr no your not

We usually do card and chocs or something but now she's in high school there are so many teachers we prob won't bother

mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FussyElmo View Post
    I will this year be making my sons teachers some cakes and put them in a nice box BUT thay is only because they have deserved them.

Last year DS!'s teacher got nowt because that was all he deserved. I just dont do this "make it an expensive pressie because it makes us look good".

One teacher around from a school around here actually gave out a gift list of what she would like - I know what I would have done with that
    thats terrible!!!!

I will be getting ds teacher a little something, he is my eldest and is just leaving pre-school, his teacher has been amazing. Dont think i will do it every year though.

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

It is pressure from the shops as usual making it a 'required' necessity

Yesterday I pointed out a whole display of gifts in Asda, entitled "thank you teacher" all designed to send parents on a guilt trip no doubt.
    Pauline x

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

If they went on strike then i wold not even bother
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

July 99
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

One of Mitchells teachers will be getting a special something as she is retiring this year (nothing to do with Mitchell she assures me ) and I do really like her. She has helped him so much so she deserves it

The other 2 teachers will be getting something small, the notelets are a fab idea

Any helpers get nothing, sorry but I'm not made of money or I could make some cakes for break time

Carol xxx

July 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I have just put in a fiver for my daughters teacher in to a whip round and one of the parents managed to get hold of a charlton football from the club that all of the class have signed. He has been brilliant though, on the other hand the teaching assistant will be getting nothing from me as she never has any time for the children, when she told my daughter to sit down when she was very ill and had a banging headache, that was enough for me!!!
    Sam xxx

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

well I for one think its the worlds best idea - and seeing as I will be home educating DS I intend to buy myself a huge box of thorntons at the end of every July!! (only kidding, I think the whole process is stupid)
    Blessed Be!

Daddy Day Care Guest

You misserable lot!!

Ive only got 1 Child in school and am buying 5 gifts!!

one for her teacher, one for her stand in teacher as teacher #1 is on maternity leave, and 1 for the classroom helper, all 3 have been lovely tho, mny duaghter moved to this school in october, and her attitude and school work has come on so much sicne the move. She was always in trouble at her old school and has never once been in toruble here.

The other 2 gifts are for 2 of the teachers at my sons nursery, theres over a dozen teachers there so had to cut back there, to his key worker and the one that he likes the most, both again are lovely and 1 incredibly fit .

Gareth
    xxxx

Feb 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Myself and my son made home made soaps for 5 of his favourite teachers from pre-school - there are about 10 teachers in total.
    The 'ingredients' for the soap only cost a few pounds, and we made our own wrapping paper and gift tags using paintings Albie had done.
    I just figured I would much prefer a hand made gift that someone had thought about rather than a box of choccies, so that is what we did for his 5 favourite teachers.
    Francine X

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredspirits View Post
    well I for one think its the worlds best idea - and seeing as I will be home educating DS I intend to buy myself a huge box of thorntons at the end of every July!! (only kidding, I think the whole process is stupid)
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Post Thanks / Like

I think its about time the shops started selling things for " best childminder " etc

Angel xx

aug 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    'GOOD'
    Post Thanks / Like

I have made wishing stars this year for my DD pre school teachers, so easy to make, very personal wishes inside and look lovely when wrapped in a pouch with a home made gift tag.
    wish i knew how to upload pics as ive just took a photo
    I know what you mean tho about the shops going ott.
    Tammy xx
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by TammyN; 14-07-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: add photo

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast