Are Lollipop Ladies/Men being cut but all County Councils?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Registered Childminder since
    Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Are Lollipop Ladies/Men being cut but all County Councils?

Our lollipop lady is losing her job at the end of the school year. Apparently Northants County Council can no get insurance for lollipop persons. I think they said they can't legally stop traffic now either.

Is this the case all over the county?

I will be sad to see ours go. We drive to school as it is too far to walk. My preschool age mindees meet me at school. For this reason I park along the road and walk down to school. If we are slow getting out of the car then my 7yr old runs along to school himself. I feel safe allowing him to do this as the lollipop lady is there. She is always bright and cheery, welcoming the children each morning. She'll still be around as she also cleans the school but I'll miss her being outside.

Apr 05
    Post Thanks / Like

We lost ours several years ago, despite there being 3 schools on the site and although they arent main roads, they are dangerous and horrid to cross at school times.

Oct 97
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope not, will check when we go back, the road to get to the school is horrendous our lolly pop lady has had many near misses! It's real scary crossing over as it is, without her will just be an accident waiting to happen.

Dec 08
    Post Thanks / Like

Ours moved to another job last month and the council aren't going to replace her as they say not enough children are walking to school. She only earned £15 a day, surely childrens lives are worth that much

aly Guest

Ours has just gone off sick {has breast cancer}, they have advertised the her job temporarily but say they will place traffic wardens etc to help but not seen one since the 1st day...it is mad as anothe rlocal school have 2!!!

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

The road outside our school isn't too bad. I think it will be when the lollipop lady has gone.

Taxi drivers are the worst, they stop in the zig zag lines right in front of the gates. Several parents do the same. Just next to the front gate (for pedestrians) is the side road where the cars come out of the car park. If idiots park close to the gates then it makes it really difficult for cars coming from the side road to see the road.

Apr 01
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Apparantly our council will not be replacing those that leave. We still have one she does the school buses 8-8.15 & the school 8.30-9 and then 3-3.15 & 4-4.30 in the afternoon. Our roads are terrible supposed to be 20mph but the lorries are the worst as their tyres span the speed bumps so they dont slow down. SHe has a raised hump outside the school and the "drivers of large vehicles" have complained that it is damaging thier vehicles - if they went at 20mph it wouldn't damage them would it!

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Traffic wardens once stuck their nose in with our lollipop lady and it became total chaos! My 3 yr old mindee loves walking the boys to school and crossing with the lollipop lady. I have a tantrum if we dont go with them. xx

ReReg10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD :)
    Post Thanks / Like

im gonna get shot down in flames for this but......

ours press's a button for half hour! ....and gossips with the bloke that lives next to it....she doesnt even walk out onto the road anymore.....personally a waste of money or she should be moved to the road near the other entrance.

we petitioned for nearly 10 years to get a crossing put near our school & when they finally did they put it in the same place the crossing lady stood (our school is on 3 busy roads)
    What a crock!!!