Would you be cross?
Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Pipsqueak Guest

Default Would you be cross?

Eldest son age 13 hurt his ankle at the weekend, trip to A&E - he has a badly sprained ankle... keep off it for a few days blah blah, very gentle and minimal use for a week after that then start using it properly after. Ice, elevation, pain meds etc.

Anyway, he wanted to go into school Monday and I said ok, providing you take it easy. Wrote it in his diary to show to teacher and as a precuation I rang school to advise.... if its bothering him ring me and I can either bring pain meds round or pick him up. Ok Ok OK says school

Fast forward to yesterday....... Rob comes home on the verge of tears, hobbling badly. He went to his house manager at 10am saying his ankle hurt and can they ring me. She denied his request saying he was absent too much. Now this isn't true as I had a letter from the attendance officer last week who I rang and she confirmed that a) they mix him up with another child of a very similar name b) they are counting his orthodontic apps as absence and they shouldn't be c) his actual attendance levels are fine and she is not concerned. Oh the last time he was 'off' the school had sent him home because he got hurt in rugby AT school.

So the poor boy had to spend the day in the house managers office alone, having work bought to him. He didn't realise the time and forgot to go for dinner - when he realised the cafeteria was closed and he ended up with a manky half sandwich.

I asked him if the house manager or anyone else (ie a qualified first aider) checked his foot and he said no.

Whilst I appreciate them allowing him to rest his foot, I think they have overstepped the mark in various things here and ignored his basic human rights.

I have written an email to them expressing my disappointment but tbh I am not sure if I am over reacting (he has gone to school today).

Poor kid was in pain, his ankle was HUGE when he got home yesterday. I hate to think of him being in pain unnecessarily, I am minutes away from the school and could easily have popped round - hence me telling school this.

Oh I am grrrrr - what IS it with schools and their god-like complex

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Pip I would be absolutely blooming furious
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Post Thanks / Like

me too Poor Roband you as well. No you're not over reacting
    Little Miss Chatterbox xx

Post Thanks / Like

No you're not over-reacting.

Why did he have to stay in the house managers office all day? If they didn't believe him and said he couldn't go home why didn't they just send him back to lessons? It doesn't make sense to me.

Oh and I think someone should at least have checked his ankle!

If you've only expressed "disappointment" then I think they've got off lightly!

Miffy xx
    Keep smiling!

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd be mad too!!! It's not like you hadn't made them aware of the situation and he was trying it on or anything. Sometimes I think they do get ideas above their station.

pre-reg
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think ur over reacting either, they should have rang u and gave u the choice whether he stays there or goes home or took some medicine to him

Pipsqueak Guest

its definately a strongly worded letter and its rather 'succinct' shall we say!

thanks for the replies, I do try to support the school, homework, detentions for misbehaviour (he isn't that bad just a couple of silly incidents of chatting in class in two years) oh one one for not handing in homework.... I go to all parents evenings and work closely with them for his grades and being comfy at school...... it really annoys me when they overstep like this and forget the parent.

I hate to think of him being hungry at school - he is a big lad - 5ft 9 and likes his food, I hate to think of him in pain just grrrr

i have taken the school to task on a couple of things, such as their wording of why a detention has been given (ie 'gross misbehaviour - apparently equates to chatting in class) and I think they forget they are not dealing with a parent who bites back with no clout or justification or a parent who doesn't know any better.....

Non childminder member
    ex-childminder
    Post Thanks / Like

It's certainly not right or fair for any child to be treated like this.

Hubby pulled the ligaments in his foot 2 months ago, he's only just getting over it, sprains and strains can be worse than breaks to heal.

As for the school not sorting him lunch, leaving him on his own for long periods etc....what on earth was the point of him being at school.

Any absenses, although not good for the books, are the concern of parents, NOT for the school to be beligerent about and to take it out on a child in their CARE.

Hope his ankle mends asap. xxxx
    Come back David....