Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Thumb Sucker

Registered Childminder since
    dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Thumb Sucker

My ds2 is 4 1/2 months and has just started sucking his thumb. He was a very sucky newborn and refused a dummy (my ds1 never had one so dont have much experience with them). Also because ds2 is breastfed I dont think he likes rubber in his mouth.

Anyways he has discovered his thumb which doesnt bother me too much but I have lost count of the amount of people this weekend who have told me I should stop him from sucking his thumb or give him a dummy instead

If i hear the line "you can get rid of a dummy but you cant get rid of a thumb" one more time i will scream!
    PRINCESS DAISY FLOWER

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i use to suck my thumb never did me any harm, also both my sister did too...
    Dust its Fairy Dust

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ds still sucks his thumb sometimes when he's tired or forgets... he's 15

He has perfect teeth and absolutely no problem with communication.

Your lo needs his comfort and has found something that he enjoys doing plus it's always attached! Who wants to be getting up through the night to put a dummy back in?

LOOPYLISA Guest

My dd was a thumb sucker, only stopped as she had a brace (not through her thumb though)

If she didnt have her brace im not sure when she would of stopped tbh, not that it was a prob though, i hate dummys

dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys, I hate dummys too which is probably the real reason both my lo's dont have them.

just have to practice telling well meaning friends and families to "shut up"
    PRINCESS DAISY FLOWER

Nov 94
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My DD had a dummy and it was gone by 2 1/2 - then she picked her face, bit her nails down to stumps..........

DS kept spitting his dummy out - I wanted him to have it but with my physical problems with my arm/leg after giving birth it was hard to keep getting out of bed to give it back. Then he found his thumb and I had peace at last

He was about 8 when he stopped altogether, by himself He did push his teeth in a bit at the side but his mouth is a different shape to DDs who had a wide opening jaw and flip top head Always found it hard to brush his teeth and they are more crowded than hers. They seem to have straightened a bit now.
    Happy to be back with the Greenies

Feb 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

i think all babies do it .. its exploring their body/part of growing up, my kids done it and never had dummy (far i remember)
    my son is 10yrs and sucks thumb still - and soon to have braces but least he get lovely teeth after (yrs later)

i would worry, you cant stop a bubba sucking their thumb .... mindee whom is 4 months does it and actuallt cries when take it away when need dress him, feed him etc x
    To Dare Is To Do

Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry but i prefer dummies.

DD no 1 had a dummy and put it in the bin age 3 when i told her that the Easter Bunny did not bring chocolate eggs to babies.

DD no 2 had her thumb and it took ages for her to stop sucking it when she got tired. She must have been 11 or so.

But you must let the baby decide dummy or thumb
    we dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

mama2three still sucks her thumb sometimes when shes tired or forgets... she's 43

She has ok teeth and debatably no problems with communication.

Nov 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sarah707 View Post

Your lo needs his comfort and has found something that he enjoys doing plus it's always attached! Who wants to be getting up through the night to put a dummy back in?

My daughter sucked her thumb til she was about 13 (only in private tho) never did her any harm and she has lovely teeth and never had the need for a brace unlike son who never sucked his thumb or used a dummy and he had to wear a brace

Cx

~Chelle~ Guest

My son sucked his thumb, mainly when tired. He stopped at the age of 5 as we started a reward chart for him and he was thumb free is 2 weeks.

x

Oct 03
    Post Thanks / Like

My daughter sucked her thumb from three months till age 7 when her adult teeth were through.
    She has lovely straight teeth and no braces needed.
    She was a very colicky baby and without her thumb I would have gone insane.
    It doesn't matter what everyone else thinks.

May 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mama2three View Post
    mama2three still sucks her thumb sometimes when shes tired or forgets... she's 43

She has ok teeth and debatably no problems with communication.
    Glad you put that as I so wanted to post but was embarrassed to I am 47 and if really upset and needing comfort eg three years ago when I lost my Dad so do I (hangs head in shame at admitting it. When hubby and i got together i desperately tried to give up but after moving in together and not being able to sleep without he asked what was up when I told him he said for heavens sake its okay just get some sleep.
    love Kate
    Save the earth it's the only planet with chocolate

Dec 02
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have 15yr old who will still suck his thumb (in private) as said by some others above his teeth are also fine and never had any problems and never had a screaming child who had lost a dummy either......
    God Bless xx T

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I sucked my thumb untill I discovered boys even then I didn't really give up until I was about 20. No probs with teeth at all x

Mar 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wendywu View Post
    Sorry but i prefer dummies.

DD no 1 had a dummy and put it in the bin age 3 when i told her that the Easter Bunny did not bring chocolate eggs to babies.

DD no 2 had her thumb and it took ages for her to stop sucking it when she got tired. She must have been 11 or so.

But you must let the baby decide dummy or thumb
    Gotta say I agree....

DD found thumb, sucked it till age 9, and NOTHING would stop her at night (socks on her hand, the bitter nail paint, mustard..) It did pull her teeth forward, and she will need a brace.

DS had a dummy, but only at night, got to about 8 mths and we got sick of getting up to give it back to him so we took it away - he cried for 15 mins and then never looked back.

...I know which one was the more traumatic for us, but you should go with what sits right with you, and tbh I think babies either find their thumb or they don't, and if they do it's very hard to dissuade them!

oct2004
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer child to suck thumb as dummies look so horrid. You can,t hear what they are saying half the time with it stuck in. Yuck!

Sept 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I am a dummy person...

DD was a very sucky baby and it was either a dummy or my nipple and after comfort feeding her repeatedly the dummy won...

still managed to breastfeed her and she never found her thumb. from been about 1 she only had it for sleep, that and her tig tig (tigger comforter) we ditched the dummy at about 2.5 but she still has tig tig and she is now 3.5

I think tig tig will be sewn into her wedding dress lol
    boo