Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Headaches

Registered Childminder since
    Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Headaches

Hi everyone, I'm currently suffering from a lot of headaches and only take paracetamol if I really have to. Could anyone recommend any remedies or ways of getting rid of headaches without taking medication? Thanks Hx

LOOPYLISA Guest

I have 4 head, the stick you rub across your forehead, i think thats more mind over matter though sometimes!

Have you had a eye test?, i went to the opticians with headaches and needed glasses for laptop reading etc x

Jan 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

get your blood pressure checked as a precaution.

i say this as i had a lot of headaches last year and was at the gps having a smear when they took my bp. minutes later i am hooked up to monitors in coronary care with a bp of 210/130! should be about 120/75

i put the headaches down to stress and work.

i put the chest pain down and palpatations down to menopause! Gp said if my leg dropped off would i say it was menopause???

as for pain killers...too much paracetamol can give you headaches. But living with pain like that is just not nice. I would discuss with your Gp and or pharmacist.

do as you are told (consultation is free)

Sr Salt RGN
    The bats have left the bell tower.....

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I've thought of trying 4 Head stuff Loopylisa but not got any yet. I've been due an eye test the last couple of years, I already wear glasses for reading and close work, just need to get organised and book a test.
    Parsleypetal - omg you must have been really worried. I had my blood pressure taken a few weeks ago when I already had the headaches and it was fine.
    Thanks for your advice, I'm pretty sure I know the cause of my headaches, I'm really tired at the moment and really bad at keeping hydrated. I'm definitely not stressed at the moment although a few weeks ago I had a couple of stressful weeks when one of my mindees left, which I think contributed to the migraines I had then, thankfully they seem to have gone. Hx

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd definitely get some of the 4Head if I were you. I had a terrible headache a couple of times last week. Paracetamol did nothing, but the 4Head worked really well.
    And make sure you drink plenty of water. Dehydration can cause horrible headaches.

Hope you feel better soon

Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

I suffered regular headaches from late teens to late 30's - probably due to a lot of factors. One was overmedicating, poor diet, not enough water, stress, hormones, lack of excercise (I have bad posture). I also had migraines for which I was prescribed Imigran (great stuff).

I found that cutting out caffiene helped and swimming made a big difference as it loosened up my neck and shoulder muscles. I haven't had a migraine for 12 years and not so many headaches. I hope you find something that works for you, there's nothing worse than going to bed with a headache and then waking up with it!

Dec 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to suffer really badly with headaches, to the point i was hospitalised with suspected meningitis Luckily it wasn't, but the LP and numerous CT head scans were not fun! Anyways...
    1) the GP eventually put me on a very low dosage of amitriptyline which is commonly used for treating depression but also migrance prevention, nerve pain and between in children! I was on it for 3 months before weaning myself off them
    2) I found that visiting a chiropractor really helped as i tend to carry a lot of tension in my shoulders
    3) Drinking lucozade hydro active (its the lowest calorie lucozade and really does rehydrate you)
    4) I also got my eyes checked and whilst my contact lenses prescription was fine, but glasses were way out haha!
    5) I was advised to get at least 8 hours sleep, eat a healthy balanced diet and take part in gentle exercise (but don't just do breaststroke with your head above water as this puts a strain on your neck)
    Hope some of these help, touch wood i am usually headache free now - except when stressed! xx

jan 09
    Post Thanks / Like

i too ws always getting headaches daily and every month a migraine i went to a different dr who changed my pill and im now headache free.....(well pretty much ) hope you get it sorted xx

LOOPYLISA Guest

Quote Originally Posted by spowage View Post
    i too ws always getting headaches daily and every month a migraine i went to a different dr who changed my pill and im now headache free.....(well pretty much ) hope you get it sorted xx
    Yes forgot to say i had to have my pill changed due to headaches/migranes

Nov 10
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good :)
    Post Thanks / Like

Not nice, sorry to hear you are getting them.I get three day long headaches and ouuwwwch! Some people have said 4head stick - I find this very effective
    Also my step sister gave me a lovely wheat, lavendar and oats eye bag that she had made, I thought 'oh yeah what help will that be' But it is actually really great - if you can find time to lie down just for 10 mins, place it over your eyes and relax. The scent really helps my sinuses and is relaxing, the weight of it relieves the pressure round my eyes and it keeps out every little bit of light. You won't want to get up again though! I'm sure you must be able to buy these somewhere.
    Good luck.

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your replies and more advice. I picked up some 4 Head and it did seem to soothe my head yesterday. I've also increased my water intake and I had a nap yesterday afternoon (luckily my son did had one so I could too). I'll go to the doctors if things don't improve soon, plus I must book an eye test. Hx

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

I suffer bad migraine and have done since i was a teenager. I use 'aloe heat lotion' which i use by putting it on my temples. It doesn't take it away totally but dulls it. The migraine action charity are now promoting my products as well as they have found heat lotions to be a good reliever and they have asked me to do a couple of stalls at their events. I'm donating 10% of my profit for anything i sell through the forum.

Other than that i find skipping meals, not drinking enough, sunlight and tiredness all contribute.

This rich emollient lotion contains deep-heating agents to make it the ideal massage companion for tired muscles and dry skin. Aloe Heat Lotion is a pH-balanced, lubricating lotion designed for a soothing, relaxing massage. The deep penetrating power of aloe vera will help your muscles and skin after the stresses of the working day. Especially good after sports or hard workouts.

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

if you've had a cold recently could be sinisitus. Also could be set off by hayfever type allergy. Usually headaches are vice like, back of head, neck and round the eyes (over and under) and you'll feel lots of pressure if you bend down.

If you think it could be thisTry some sudafed, steaming over a mug and some vicks and recommend, plantago (Vogel remedy) from health food shops which thins the mucous.

If you've had afor a few weeks you might need a course of antibiotics.

Hoep you feel better soon xx
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

Nov 03
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Make sure you have a good pillow aswell. I was waking with headaches a while back so got my self an expensive but very good supporting pillow and it did the trick. Only problem is, I have to take it away with me when ever we go away no as other pillows are just no good

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

hoe you are feeling better now. maybe it was the other news you told us about that was causing it I suffered terribly the first 12 weeks.

If it is sinusitis, def. still do the steaming
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

July 08
    Post Thanks / Like

part and parcel of some pg's!! I used 4Head with my first and it worked wonders.
    Blessed Be!

jun 09
    Post Thanks / Like

Strange isnt it. I struggle with headaches and migraine weekly but when i was pregnant they vanished. Hope you've found something that works. xx

Aug 10
    Post Thanks / Like

I've probably jinxed myself but have been much better these last few days. I've been trying to drink more, found sparkling water best as lots of still water was making me feel sick and I've had the 4 Head on standby. But yes I did get more headaches once I found out, hopefully I'm through the worst now. Thanks again for all your advice everyone. Hx