Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Myrena Coil

Registered Childminder since
    aug 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I wish I had had one fitted but now too late. Now every month I don't know if I will have a period. I always thought having really bad pains was normal. I hope it works for you.

Mar 13
    Post Thanks / Like

I hope it stays put this time, I've had mine for a few years and it's fab. I do dislike the unpredictable bleeding I get, but it's quite light, I just keep wrecking nice knickers!

Jx

Post Thanks / Like

Seems to be fine feel grand all day unlike earlier jn week when I felt quite dizzy and light headed. Should be ok, I am delighted I have actually got it done was hanging over my head and even with the problems it wasn't too bad, both drs
    Were lovely and sympathetic.

Thanks for all the support and telling me uour experiences!

Post Thanks / Like

Feeling a bit like a crazy person today., been a bit down the last day or two and today am so cross.. Have just ripped a strip off my mother (mind you she called me out of the blue to pick her up from the other side of the city from a hospital apt which she got a lift to but had no idea how she was going to get back! I am sure my mindees parents aren't paying me to drive them in a car for an hour and a half but couldn't leave her stranded) cross making yes,.. Worthy of being that cross? Probably not!

Will this moodiness pass?!

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

I've had bad mood swings since having mine but doc says nothing to do with it as it not hormonal it just a copper coil ?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by murphf View Post
    Feeling a bit like a crazy person today., been a bit down the last day or two and today am so cross.. Have just ripped a strip off my mother (mind you she called me out of the blue to pick her up from the other side of the city from a hospital apt which she got a lift to but had no idea how she was going to get back! I am sure my mindees parents aren't paying me to drive them in a car for an hour and a half but couldn't leave her stranded) cross making yes,.. Worthy of being that cross? Probably not!

Will this moodiness pass?!
    Try taking evening primrose capsules hun x they help me with my moods x

Nov 04
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

i've been put off the mirena for years by friends who had bad experience with it. finally, after trying all sorts of meds, I have been to consultant today and been approved for uterine ablution. Basically they radiowave the entire lining of your womb off - under general anaesthetic, only takes 90 seconds, out the same day and a 2 day recovery. If I'm lucky it'll last til I hit menopause and if I'm really lucky I'll have light or no periods.

mind you only recommended if you REALLY don't want/can't have any more kids
    if you do what you've always done, you'll get what you've always got

july 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supermumy View Post
    I've had bad mood swings since having mine but doc says nothing to do with it as it not hormonal it just a copper coil ?
    If it is the Mirena is does have hormones in it. Other coils are different. I've had a normal copper one which served me well.

My doctor insisted I would have no hormone related mood changes at all with the Mirena. As it was such a tiny amount of hormone and released directly into the womb, there was no chance of it getting into the rest of my system she assured me.

She admitted afterwards that a 'very few' people suffered mood changes.

Only after nearly 2 weeks of feeling so down that I could see no point in being alive, and having stiff achey joints, did they remove it. My doctor had gone on holiday, despite saying if I wanted it out an any time I could ring up and have it taken out instantly. (I wouldn't have agreed otherwise). I got an appointment with another doctor who said there wasn't a slot to have it removed for several days but when I broke down crying in her office she agreed to take it out later the same day.

On removal, I felt instantly better, did have mood swings for a couple more weeks, but nothing compared to when it was in.

It works fantastically for some which is great .
    ...but I really don't like the way surgeries are pushing it on people. I have suffered on and off with depression and anxiety most of my adult life and have always found it related to hormonal changes, but despite my concerns it was still recommended, no alternatives offered and I was fobbed off and told it was unrelated to how awful I was feeling. I went back twice about my symptoms before it was removed and was told it was the only treatment choice left for my painful and heavy periods (which had left me anaemic). A complete lie, as when it was removed I insisted on a referral to a consultant. She offered me an ablation. Bless her.

As it turned out, the change in tablets she prescribed for the waiting time till the op has minimised my symptoms and I take iron tablets which have helped me get some energy back, so have not needed to have the op after all. So far anyway .

Good luck ladies, the run up to menopause is not an easy one

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.. I was
    Feeling really lethargic and down last night just feel like sitting in a corner and not talking to anyone dragging myself around! Big effort to get out to choir when I only wanted to crawl into my duvet and cry (for no reason!) but glad I did as it gave me something to focus on and cheered me up.

Today I feel brighter but tired and headachy so will see how I go,, it's mostly for the ridiculously heavy periods but also we are done (youngest is 8) .. I had hormone problems in the past after a miscarriage and was told to stay off hormonal pill etc but that was 13 years ago and dr assured me very low dose of hormones.
    Will give it a couple of weeks and see how I go maybe it will settle., period stopped almost immediately so reluctant to give it up!

The ablution sounds good really think I should have been offered this! If mirena doesn't work will ask for this.. My mum had a hysterectomy at my age (37) for same problems so may well need something more permanent

Thanks all

Also will try the evening primrose thanks Gail, does it matter when in day I take it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Juggler View Post
    i've been put off the mirena for years by friends who had bad experience with it. finally, after trying all sorts of meds, I have been to consultant today and been approved for uterine ablution. Basically they radiowave the entire lining of your womb off - under general anaesthetic, only takes 90 seconds, out the same day and a 2 day recovery. If I'm lucky it'll last til I hit menopause and if I'm really lucky I'll have light or no periods. mind you only recommended if you REALLY don't want/can't have any more kids
    So this is a contraceptive also?

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Also will try the evening primrose thanks Gail, does it matter when in day I take it?
    I dont think it matters at all. Ive always taken the strong dose in the morning. I have endometriosis so my hormones swing quite dramatically and it has helped to level me out. Bare with it though it takes about a week? to get into your system from memory x

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gail Tracey View Post
    I dont think it matters at all. Ive always taken the strong dose in the morning. I have endometriosis so my hormones swing quite dramatically and it has helped to level me out. Bare with it though it takes about a week? to get into your system from memory x
    Thanks Hun worth a try!

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Hun worth a try!
    Always worth a try x

may 05
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jackie 7 View Post
    I wish I had had one fitted but now too late. Now every month I don't know if I will have a period. I always thought having really bad pains was normal. I hope it works for you.
    I'm sure it's not too late, I was hardly having any periods and then went into full blown menopause, the combined HRT didn't agree with me so now I just take oestrogen only HRT and have a myrena coil - I don't get any periods at all now. Many people just have it to cope with irregular periods or troublesome hormones.

mar06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks will try evening primrose too

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by supermumy View Post
    Thanks will try evening primrose too
    Got to be worth a try x apparently the line I get in between my eyebrows is disappearing now cause I dont frown so much lol x

Post Thanks / Like

Hi reporting back! Things are really good .. After the first week when I felt like an antichrist and depressed all the time , hormones seem to be grand now .. Bleeding has stopped had a 'period' last week which was practically non existent! Such a huge improvement! Check up last night all good it's where it should be , all Systems go .. Am delighted! Thanks for the advice and support x

Oct 12
    Latest Inspection Grade
    over it ;-)
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi reporting back! Things are really good .. After the first week when I felt like an antichrist and depressed all the time , hormones seem to be grand now .. Bleeding has stopped had a 'period' last week which was practically non existent! Such a huge improvement! Check up last night all good it's where it should be , all Systems go .. Am delighted! Thanks for the advice and support x
    Brill news x

Sept 90
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Good
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad everything is going well,
    Cath

Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

i had the marina coil and it came out had scans and xrays to double check it had gone then had another one fitted in december last year had to have it removed two weeks ago as i ended up pregnant luckily its not ectopic and alls gd with the baby

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast