Anybody following it on TV?
    Celest

Registered Childminder since
    Nov 93
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Papal Visit

you are a brave lady!!! you could be opening up a hornets nest here. I'm a practising catholic and my opion of this pope are not all wonderful, so dread to think what others feel. Daughters school want us to join them tomorrow in school to watch it on telly, for once I was glad I was going to be busy minding

~Chelle~ Guest

Big waste of money if you ask me, the money could have been better spent by giving it to a third world country, oh wait a minute we are a third world country according to one of the cardinals!

I actually saw Pope John Paul in 1982 and the streets were packed with supporters, cant; see that happening this time though

Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I have no interest in it at all. I won't watch any coverage, or read anything about it in the paper.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Playmate View Post
    you are a brave lady!!! you could be opening up a hornets nest here. I'm a practising catholic and my opion of this pope are not all wonderful, so dread to think what others feel. Daughters school want us to join them tomorrow in school to watch it on telly, for once I was glad I was going to be busy minding
    Yes I know I am but judging by the crowds at that park in Glasgow there are still many many people who support the church.

I did post this because we are a diverse group all with various and very valid opinions and as its not just a religious visit but a state visit too I feel its worth talking about?

Until the past week or so I've not heard much mention of it but I do remember when the last pope came to Ireland the streets of Dublin were so totally festooned with yellow and white bunting and there were papal flags and pictures of the pope in everybodies front window for weeks before.

Also as you can see from both of my posts I have not yet offered my opinion I was just wondering at this stage thats all!!!

My feelings are actually quite mixed.
    Celest

Post Thanks / Like

I am sure if you are a devout catholic you think it is wonderful - but when our country is in the state its in surely the money could have been better spent elsewhere??? hospitals, school, etc etc etc sorry just my opinon

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

I have written , deleted , and rewritten my response several times.
    I feel quite sad that I felt the need to 'defend' my faith..and that my wish to attend a beautification lead by the Pope is overshadowed by the awful truth that the Church , and the then Cardinal Ratzinger , let down thousands of Children and their families. I feel conflict between my personal feelings on many issues , and the teachings of the Church. And yes , I can see how so many would consider the millions that this visit costs as being better spent elsewhere....
    I would love to feel part of a collective prayer offered up by thousands as we stand together , a sense of unity , and hope for the future...thats what the mass will mean to me.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    I am sure if you are a devout catholic you think it is wonderful - but when our country is in the state its in surely the money could have been better spent elsewhere??? hospitals, school, etc etc etc sorry just my opinon
    I'm not saying anything one way or the other I just wonder what others are thinking?
    Celest

Pipsqueak Guest

Fraid I have no opinion to offer - I respect each faith but I do not keep up with the 'politics' within that faith, I know there appears to be some misgivings about this Pope, his visit and so on.

I hope the visit goes well and many thousands it will bring comfort too, its a historic event as well.

June 07
    Latest Inspection Grade
    OUTSTANDING
    Post Thanks / Like

You know Pip you did have an opinion to offer and a very valid one at that!!!
    Celest

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

Leaving faith out of this, my children's school have been hit by massive cuts, we are fundraising for jotters for the kids, the council is making cuts everywhere. It is not a nice place to be financially up here at the moment, so for the amount of money that has been 'found' to fund this visit..........well it makes me a tad cross to say the least!!
    Ali xx

aug 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Satisfactory
    Post Thanks / Like

I would of loved to go and see him,asked parents to try and arrange differant care for the day some were able some not,i never went watch some on t.v today as mindees are only before school at the moment, yes money could of been spent elsewhere but at the end of the day this country gives all the time

sep09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

As I understand it the 'religious ' part of this visit , including the masses etc has been paid for by the vatican , its just the 'state visit' part which is funded by the Government. There have been any number of state visits over the last few years , which will have cost similar amounts , without the outcry ( to be fair without media coverage of the costs which would cause any outcry either) .

oct 08
    Latest Inspection Grade
    good
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsqueak View Post
    Fraid I have no opinion to offer - I respect each faith but I do not keep up with the 'politics' within that faith, I know there appears to be some misgivings about this Pope, his visit and so on.

I hope the visit goes well and many thousands it will bring comfort too, its a historic event as well.
    im like pip i don't follow the politics of religions as im not interested in it at all. im not sure i respect each faith tho! i dont respect the facts that JW would let a person die rather than be given some blood, i dont respect that catholics shouldn't use birth control (look at the prob in africa this has caused)

i admit i am naive when it comes to religions and prob dont know all the facts and i really dont want to offend anyone.

As for the money thing, yes i do disagree with all the money spent on this visit and it could be used for more worthwhile things but then again you could say that about everything e.g. the olympics, and every other unneccessary state visit.

june 86
    Latest Inspection Grade
    outstanding
    Post Thanks / Like

My Dad was a catholic and for some reason didnt want us to be brought up a catholic,

As for the visit i agree that the money could have been spent better

but as pip has said, everyone to their own, if the people who have gone to see him feel good then some good has come out of it

I have been watching the coverage today and enjoyed it

Jun 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Grade 6
    Post Thanks / Like

I've enjoyed watching it too, and so have my children, in fact my little mindee aged 4 came out of nursery today and told me 'the Pope is coming to visit our nursery!' bless him, they must have been talking about it and he got muddled!
    Ali xx

Jan 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    GOOD
    Post Thanks / Like

well i'm proud to be......

an extreme athiest living in 3rd world britian

the only thing that confuses me a little is...

why the bullet proof car?? is he afraid to meet his maker

no seriously couldn't care less but i do feel sorry for the pope having to listen to the xfactor/BGT/pop idol cast off's
    IS BACK

Mar 06
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Outstanding
    Non childminder member
    Friend
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CAROLYN View Post
    i agree with you

and my 16 old son is in glasgow at the min i hope hes stayed away as there are alot of people will be there today
    One life live it

June 09
    Latest Inspection Grade
    Very Good
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember the last time the pope visited Scotland and it seemed that anyone who I knew that was Catholic went to his mass but there didnt seem to be as much of a buzz about it this time, I only know of one family who was attending today
    Joy xx

july05
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Well I am sad that I couldnt afford to go as I still remember seeing Pope John Paul.

The comments over money well Im sure every single other state visit probably cost as much but there is not as much outcry over them.

Dd is going and I hope it will be something she remembers.
    When someone tells you nothing is impossible, tell them to go slam a revolving door

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast